six - swallowed pride.

chapter six.

---

Amelia took a deep breath as she stood outside the door to the Bridgerton home. After her walk with Marius, Samuel had informed her of a discussion that took place between Nigel Berbrooke, The Duke of Hastings, and the Bridgerton family soon after she had left the park. While Samuel never heard what was being discussed, the rumor around the ton was that the meeting looked rather tense. Amelia quickly rushed over to the Bridgerton home after hearing the news.

Once Amelia was led into the home, she was escorted to where Daphne was currently recovering from the stressful day. Amelia walked into the Bridgerton drawing-room, and saw Daphne staring at the sheet music in front of her, brows clearly furrowed in frustration.

"Do not stare too hard, my dear friend. The last thing you need is wrinkles this young," Amelia said in a joking manner, hoping to lighten the mood slightly. Daphne jumped at the interruption, not expecting anyway – especially not her friend – to approach her so soon after what happened only an hour ago at the park.

"Amelia! I do apologize, I did not hear the door. How long have you been standing there?" Daphne stood, quickly rushing to meet her friend where she stood. Amelia rushed forward as well, engulfing her friend in a much-needed hug, "Not too long, I assure you."

When they separated from the hug, Amelia's smile shifted into a more concerned looking frown, "Are you alright, Daphne? I heard about Berbrooke."

Daphne groaned hearing the name she despised so much. She pulled Amelia to sit down with her on the nearest couch. "I am anything but alright currently. I am frustrated beyond belief! And more than anything, I am heartbroken. I wanted a love like my parents but now..." She trailed off, tears forming in her eyes. Amelia gripped Daphne's hand as she listened to her friend vent her feelings. While she could not show it, Amelia felt anger building up inside her for her friend's future.

"You will still have that. I will make sure of it, Daphne. I will go talk to Anthony right now and demand that he-" Amelia was swiftly cut off by Daphne.

"Amelia, do you know what happened at the park between my family and Berbrooke?" Without speaking, Amelia simply shook her head. Did more happen than Anthony simply giving his sister away? Was she missing something here?

"My brother called the arrangement off soon after you both...got into it," Daphne said with a small smile, recounting the argument between her brother and her friend she heard about from Benjamin. Daphne was rather amused to find out Amelia chewed her brother out in front of the whole ton. "Something happened between me and Berbrooke that I would rather not discuss, but because of it – Anthony called off the arrangement. Because of this, at the park, he approached us with...an offer."

Amelia's eyes furrowed at every word she was hearing. She wouldn't push her friend on what this incident was that happened between Daphne and Berbrooke, but she certainly wanted to clobber the man as she knew it was nothing good. "....What offer Daphne?"

With a sigh, Daphne continued explaining, "Berbrooke said he will not reveal what happened between us and what Simon did to him.....as long as he could have my hand in marriage. I have no choice. To save my family's reputation and my own – I have to marry Berbrooke."

Amelia could tell Daphne was holding in her emotions, attempting not to cry by the way she was biting her lip – but the pure anger Amelia felt was close to being unleashed at hearing her friend's story. "I cannot believe that little cockroach! He cannot get away with this!" Amelia was currently gripping her dress lest she grips her friend's hand too hard.

Daphne let out a laugh at hearing Amelia's nickname for Berbrooke. "Please, leave it be. For now, just spend time with me. I would like to forget about today if possible."

Amelia sighed at Daphne's request, but smiled nonetheless, "Whatever it is you would like to do, name it, and we shall do it." Anything to help her friend right now, Amelia would do in a heartbeat. Even if that meant restraining from throwing a fist the second she saw Berbrooke.

---

An hour passed since Amelia visited Daphne. While Daphne was able to distract herself for a short while, Amelia could still see the sadness and frustration written all over her expression.
Once her friend had excused herself, Amelia stood to walk herself out of the home. While walking, she took in the home's décor.

The gorgeous artwork first caught her attention. Not to mention the beautiful details in the architecture of the home. While Amelia slowly strolled her way through the hall, towards the door to leave, she stopped when her eye caught a door cracked open. From the hall, she could see light from a fireplace peeking out. Amelia inched closer to the door, her curiosity clearly getting the better of her, and glanced into the slight opening between the door and frame.

Inside the room, she immediately noticed it was a large study. That study was occupied by the current head of the Bridgerton home – Anthony Bridgerton. His brows were furrowed as he scribbled away at something upon his desk. The light from the fireplace illuminated the side of his face just enough that Amelia could see his features from her current distance.

After staring for a few seconds, she immediately stumbled back a few steps and wanted to kick herself. Taking a deep breath, Amelia quickly took a few steps forward away from the door. "Staring like some adolescent schoolgirl..." Amelia muttered to herself, before quickly coming to a halt. The argument she had with Anthony from the other night flooded back in her memories, as did a slight feeling of guilt.

Should she apologize or should she keep walking?

With a groan, she turned around and walked in front of the door. With a deep breath, she gently knocked on the door to Anthony's study. She knew it was time to swallow her pride.

Inside, Anthony lifted his head up at the sound of the knocking. With a confused look upon his face, he cleared his throat and loudly spoke, "Come in." Amelia hesitated, and even considered sprinting out that very second. She knew she should apologize though, especially for Daphne's sake.

Amelia slowly nudged the door open, causing a look of surprise to bloom across Anthony's face at seeing who knocked on his door. "Amelia, I didn't realize you were here. Is everything alright?" The look of concern that immediately crossed his face pulled at a hidden heartstring deep inside Amelia. The feeling surprised her and frustrated her all the same.

"Oh, yes, I am fine Lord Bridgerton," Amelia spoke as she slowly walked into the center of the room. Anthony stared from where he was sitting, "I told you before, you may call me Anthony."

Amelia quickly looked away upon hearing his response, "I know. I was unsure if you would still allow that after the other night and our.....argument."

With a sigh, Anthony ran his hand through his hair. A habit he would do when stressed. He slowly stood from his chair and walked around his desk to lean on the front of it. "I....apologize....for what happened that night at the ball, Amelia. I now understand you were trying to protect Daphne."

Amelia stared out the window in the study while Anthony apologized, even staring longer as silence filled the room once he was finished speaking. She only looked back to the man in front of her when she started to hear him fidgeting in place. She felt uncomfortable laying eyes on him. Because as she did, it became apparent it was just the two of them in the room – alone.

"Anthony...I'm the one who should apologize. Not you. While I do not agree with the choice you made for Daphne, you were correct. It was not my place. While I was looking out for my friend, I could have conducted our conversation in a private matter and should have been much more level-headed. I apologize greatly."

Anthony was certainly surprised to hear her apology, but after a pause, a small smirk appeared upon his face. His expression quickly made Amelia's turn sour, "What? Why that look?"

Anthony quickly threw up his hands in mock surrender, "Oh, nothing. I just am surprised that the infamous spitfire Amelia Everdale apologized to me. Surely, this is a once-in-a-lifetime event. I may never get to enjoy it again." Anthony's small smirk grew into a larger one.

Amelia huffed, shaking her head, "You're lucky I know that you are joking Anthony Bridgerton. You can be really insufferable at times; do you know that?" Amelia said, a playful tone lacing her words.

"As I've been told by many. Never a lady such as yourself though," Anthony said with a grin, crossing his arms in front of his chest.

"Why do I find that hard to believe?"

"Well, maybe a few have."

The two of them stared at each other for a slight second in silence, then immediately fell into a quiet fit of laughter. After their laughter died out, the two of them quickly realized the situation at hand. That a lady was in the room of Lord Bridgerton's study – alone without a chaperone. While it was still daylight out, many have had their reputation ruined from less. Not that Amelia cared as much as others in the ton, but if she could protect whatever reputation she had left – she would do so.

While clearing his throat, Anthony stood up straight, "Joking aside, I do accept your apology as long as you accept mine."

"Fair enough," Amelia said with a nod. She felt the mood in the room stiffen as they both realized she was at risk of scandal. Part of her did not care, as the warmth that engulfed the room previously with their laughter was something she suddenly missed.

As silence yet again overwhelmed the room, Anthony cleared his throat again to shake off the slight feeling of nerves he started to feel, which confused and frustrated him deeply. "Well, I will have Rose escort you out. It was nice seeing you again, Amelia. I am sure Daphne would appreciate seeing you again soon."

Amelia simply nodded, wanting nothing more than to end this current conversation. Before Amelia walked out the door to join Rose, she paused and bowed her head to Anthony. "Until next time," she said, before quickly walking out of the room, shutting the door behind her.

Anthony's eyes widened slightly upon hearing her parting words. He took a deep breath, and immediately dove right back into the work on his desk, eager to distract himself.

---