Chapter 7

Cassia

     Cassia laid in bed, dagger in hand like a lucky token, and she spun it around in her fingers, her eyes on the gleaming metal and the dark hilt. Astra was still reading a romance book. Even though Cassia had yelled at her and told her Romance like that doesn't exist, Astra had waved her off and told Cassia to stop being so cynical at eighteen.

     Cassia jolted when someone rapped against the cabin door. Astra frowned and sprung up, and went to the door and opened it, and Cassia frowned when she bowed towards whoever was there. And when she stepped back and her father came in, Cassia's jaw dropped.

     "Father?" Cassia jumped out of bed and made her way towards him. "You're here! I didn't expect to see you so soon."

     Cassia halted in front of him and they gazed at each other awkwardly before her father held out a hand to shake hers. They were never affectionate with each other - Cassia couldn't remember a time they embraced, so she awkwardly took his hand in hers and shook it.

     "Nice to see you," her father said. "I just came here to check up on you. How have you been?"

     "Good. This camp isn't as dreary as I expected."

     Some parts were horrible, but Cassia didn't mind the camp for the most part. As long as she focused on the contests and beating Hunter, she had a purpose, which was something she lacked before Camp Trillion.

     "Are you learning to be obedient?" her father asked.

     Her eyes narrowed. Her father wore a serious expression, his eyes probing, and Cassia glared at him.

     "You know I won't change," Cassia said. "There's no point in trying to change me because I never will."

     Her father sighed heavily. His gold crown glimmered as he touched it - as if to remind himself that his delinquent daughter would one day be Queen.

     "Why must you be so difficult all the time?" her father asked.

     Astra strolled away and Cassia's heart sunk. It anchored her to her spot and she could feel herself sinking. Into oblivion, into a darkness that constantly loomed over her, threatening to take her down. She tried her best to stay afloat and she grasped for something to say to save her.

     "Did you know we have a competition at this camp?" Cassia asked.

     "Competition?"

     "It's one where there are a bunch of events and we earn scores for whatever place we get in each contest. And by the end of camp, the one with the most points wins a grand prize."

     Her father's eyes sparked with interest. A small smile tugged at his lips and Cassia beamed. Because for once, her father didn't look revolted by her.

     "Interesting," her father said. "What a clever way to encourage campers to work hard."

     "Right! We have a contest today actually. And it would mean a lot if you came."

     Her father smiled. The corner of his eyes crinkled, exposing the genuineness of his smile.

     "Of course," her father said. "I would love to root you on."

     Cassia grinned. For once, joy blossomed within her heart, blooming to fill her soul with merriment.

*****

     Cassia and Astra stood on the field within the white borders set up for the contestants to stay within. Logs surrounded the borders and campers dressed in light armour either sat down on them or stood around, and Cassia's heart hammered against her chest. It was a free for all competition. All of them were to fight until one of them remained within the white lines Dawson had painted along the ground. Cassia had never experienced such a duel.