Chapter 17

Cassia

     Cassia had drowned three times in the past two days. Once when Liana had tried to drown her, second when Hunter and her had went all the way under the spray of her shower, and a third time when Cassia told Hunter it meant nothing. She was drowning and drowning and it was hard to breathe as Hunter drowned her in thoughts of him. His touch was like water sliding against her limbs and his kisses were like treats of air to allow her to breathe.

     But now he was gone and they were back to the way they used to be. All because she locked up her heart again and told him they were merely rivals.

     Cassia buried her face into her pillow and screamed. She screamed until her throat grew raw and even then, she kept screaming. Because Hunter had yanked off her armour and now she was exposed to the last person who was supposed to see her bare.

     The door to her cabin flew open and Cassia stiffened. No longer did she scream, but she kept her face buried into the pillow as she wished to disappear.

     "Princess?" Astra said. Footsteps closed in on her, but Cassia kept her face buried. "Are you okay?"

     Cassia said nothing and the bed sunk next to her. Groaning, she pulled her face away from her pillow and turned to face Astra, who's eyebrows were furrowed.

     "I don't want to talk about it," Cassia said.

     "Did Hunter break your heart?"

     Cassia froze. Astra observed her as if she wasn't surprised.

     "No," Cassia blurted out. She hesitated, feeling her heart stir until it unlocked. Once again, the chains broke away and the truth was pouring out of her. "I'm the one breaking my own heart."

     Astra frowned. She looked utterly confused and Cassia sighed. Astra was her occasional therapist and right now, Cassia desperately needed therapy.

     "After the canoe event, Hunter and I went back to our cabin and one thing led to another and..."

     Cassia drifted off - the silence was enough to fill in the blank. Her cheeks were enflamed as Astra broke out into a look of disbelief.

     "Oh," Astra said. She flushed and Cassia's cheeks were set on fire. "Well Princes, how... scandalous."

     "Astra! You're making me feel worse."

     Astra giggled and Cassia huffed. She crossed her arms over her chest, face burning.

     "It's so embarrassing. You should have seen the way I was saying his name!" Cassia whined. "When it comes to Hunter, it's like he's holding a knife to my throat to make me say and do things I would never do with anyone. I hate him so much."

     "I'm glad I didn't hear you saying his name." Astra blinked and Cassia blushed again. "But you know what I've noticed about you. You throw the word hate at Hunter as if it'll protect you from him."  

     Cassia tensed. Astra was no longer giggling. Her expression turned into a pensive one.

     "You like Hunter, don't you?" Astra said quietly. "You never dive into things like this with anyone - you've always been so cold and calculating, but you and Hunter went all the way. He is special."

     Cassia's heart pounded against her chest. She opened her mouth to deny it, to tell Astra she hated him and that she would never feel anything for him, but her throat constricted. It restrained her lies and she teared up, feeling overwhelmed by everything.