Chapter 21

Cassia

     Cassia was laying in bed with her dagger in hand, twirling it around as she thought about her picnic with Hunter earlier. It was embarrassing to pour her heart out like that. She couldn't believe she confessed her deepest dark insecurity - of how she feared no one could ever love her.

     To be vulnerable was terrifying, but Hunter hadn't thought she was weak for opening up to him. In fact, he told her he cared for her - words she'd never heard before and she treasured every touch and whisper he laid against her skin.

     "Why do you read Romance books?" Cassia asked.

    Astra glanced at Cassia from where she lay on her own bed - the lamp on the nightstand lighting up her green eyes. She held a thick book in her hands that she was almost done.

     "Why don't you read Romance books?" Astra asked.

     "I didn't think love existed. I thought it was merely a myth, so why should I indulge myself in something I would never experience."

     "You're speaking in past tense, so does that mean you no longer think this?"

     Cassia didn't reply. But, that was answer enough.

     "Love is real as you probably know now," Astra said, smiling. "It is the most powerful feeling in the world. There is a reason why there are so many books written about it and so many songs sang about the mere emotion. I read because it's a feeling I desperately wish to feel."

     "I envy you," Cassia said, her voice dropping to a whisper. "Ever since I fell for Hunter, my heart never stops pounding. It's like I can't breathe whenever I see him and my body shuts down. It's terrifying."

     Astra was quiet and Cassia flushed. She cursed Hunter then. Because ever since she met him, her heart was pouring out ever last insecurity and fear.

     And she hated it. Because she was supposed to be strong. She was supposed to be indestructible, but Hunter had ran at her and shattered every guard she threw up to ward off the feeling of love.

     "But, you are happy, Cassia," Astra said. "You look happier than I've ever seen you."

     Cassia flushed. It was true and she hated it.

     "Do you want to settle down?" Cassia asked. "Have a family?"

     "Of course. It's finding a man to love that's the problem."

     Cassia broke out into a smile. "Don't worry, when we go back to the castle I'll find you a man. Or maybe once we go back, we can go on vacation together and travel to other countries. Foreign men are always gorgeous."

     Astra's eyebrows knitted together as Cassia beamed at her. "You want to go on vacation?"

     "Of course. I've never left Oflaria and I desperately yearn to. I want to travel the world and learn about other cultures and kingdoms. Our kingdom is decades behind and I wish to learn their secrets. Maybe I can bring them back to Oflaria."

     Cassia's voice dripped with a yearning - with a longing she'd never realized she desired. As she thought about the world passed her island of Oflaria, she wished to see what was out there in the world they barely knew.

     "Well, I wish I had vacation time," Astra said. "But unfortunately, your father doesn't give us any breaks."

     "Well, then I'll demand it from my father," Cassia said. "He must listen to me or else he'll face my wrath."