Chapter 32

Hunter

     Hunter's face was pressed against his pillow as his mind ran through any possible plan he could think of. He desperately tried to find a way to make everything fall into place, but to no avail. Because at the end of the day, his father was the one with power, which meant Hunter was left to cower as his father controlled their every move.

     "Get out!"

     Hunter jumped at the booming voice of his father. He sat up, pausing as his father's voice echoed throughout the house.

     "Now!" his father roared. Hunter winced when the sound of fists slamming against a wall echoed out. "Both you and Haru get out!"

     Hunter froze. Dread filled him and he rose up and rushed out into the hallway, where his father stood. His father was trembling as he glared into Chase's bedroom.

     "What's going on?" Hunter asked.

     Liana's bedroom door flew open and she stepped out, looking scarily white. Her blue eyes were blown wide as they fell upon his father.

     "Chase is with a man!" his father roared.

     Chase's parents appeared in the hallway now, too. They'd been downstairs sleeping on the couches and Hunter paled. This was the last thing they needed with everything else going on.

     "Father..." Hunter began.

     His father sent him a deathly glare and Hunter paused. Chase exited his room and Haru hid behind him. Both of them were shaking, but Chase was glaring at his father as if he feared nothing for once.

     "He's my boyfriend," Chase said. "Am I not allowed to date?"

     Hunter's father raised his hand then - eyes growing dark and Hunter jolted forward. Panic slammed against him, but he froze when his father dropped his hand.

     "Not a man," his father spat. "Get out. Your parents don't want you either."

     Chase paled then. His eyes slid to his parents who were shaking their heads, looking disappointed in him, and Chase deflated. No longer did he hold confidence in his posture - he now looked defeated.

     "Are you deaf?" Hunter's father hissed. "Get out."

     Chase glanced at Haru, who was shuddering behind him. His shoulders grew slack, his face growing more and more pale, and Hunter couldn't help it. He had to interfere.

     "Stop father," Hunter said. "There is nothing wrong with what Chase is doing."

     Hunter's father whirled on him. His cold blue eyes were blazing - darkened with the dimmed lights hovering above them.

     "It is weak to love. Especially to love a man when you are man yourself," his father spat. "You are foolish to be standing up for him."

     "Chase is a better man than you'll ever be."

     The words had flown out of Hunter and he clamped his mouth shut. As his father trembled, eyes set alight, Hunter froze as his father took a step closer to him.

     And to his surprise, Liana slid to his side. She stood right next to him, her blue eyes still wide with fear.

     "I will beat you into obedience," his father hissed, slithering closer and closer to Hunter. "Don't talk back to me boy."

     "Go ahead," Hunter said. "That never worked before, so go ahead and try because I'm sick of your ways. I'm sick of blindly following you."

     "Then leave! Go to the streets and starve! No one told you to stay."