Chapter Forty-Nine

"Damn, the engine is barely moving now!" Onyankopon yells, his hands gripping onto the steering wheel

"Damn, the engine is barely moving now!" Onyankopon yells, his hands gripping onto the steering wheel. I come up behind him, realizing we're still a bit away from the Founding Titan. Shit.

"We're about to jump out! Come with us, Onyankopon!" Armin says.

"Not yet. I'm piloting this until we're right above the Founder. I'll make an emergency landing after that. So just promise me you'll get out where you can land on the Founding Titan! Understand?" We all nod, taken aback by the man's determination. Seeing the gleam in his eyes that I've seen mirrored on my father and Levi, I don't argue with him.

"Avoid it, Onyankopon!" I yell when I notice large boulders heading our way.

"So he's here, that big furry bastard!" Levi says, his eyes trained on the Beast Titan.

I rest a hand on his shoulder. "We'll get him. For my father."

Armin pulls me aside. "Whatever happens, you're next in line for Commander, El."

"Armin—"

"Not that anything will happen, but I just need you to know the line of succession, just in case."

I nod, turning back towards the open door.

One by one we jump out of the flying boat, heading straight for Eren. More stones are hurled our way and I narrowly dodge one, feeling the wind as it passes by.

"Watch out, El!" Jean yells and I nod in confirmation.

"Now, Reiner!" Armin calls out to the blond man. He takes his hand into his mouth, biting down hard. In the next instant, we're engulfed by the light of his transformation. The Armored Titan grabs Zeke and we realize quickly that something is wrong.

"No wonder he isn't putting up a fight. He's already a husk!" Levi says from beside me.

"So Zeke really is using the same technique as the Warhammer's Titan. He's hiding his own body," Armin says, looking on in fascination.

"You know what this means, Armin," I say, looking towards Eren's head. When he doesn't respond, Jean shouts his name.

"I know!" He swallows, turning to the rest of the group. "We're blowing this place apart in one minute from now! We'll use the Cart Titan to get away!"

"Armin..." Mikasa protests.

He ignores her. "Eren expects this attack from me. I don't imagine this killing him, but blowing all these bones to pieces might help us figure out where Eren and Zeke are."

Jean speaks up, looking at the Commander. "If you really feel like you need to, just blow it all up! Don't worry about us!"

My eyes widen at the approaching Titan. "Armin!" I cry out fruitlessly as he's swallowed up.

"El, look!" Jean gets my attention and I realize more and more Titans are approaching rapidly. Are these all the old inheriters? What is even going on?