Chapter Twenty Five

We hole up at the storage place where Armin and Jean were kept, sitting on boxes around a fire. I want to ask Levi about Kenny, about his childhood, everything, but he's kept his distance since we returned. I hope he isn't upset over me killing someone and not feeling remorse. It's us or them, regardless if it's Titans or humans. 

"Eliora," he says, trying to get my attention. It's clear he's been trying to for awhile. "We're taking off our guest's gag. I thought you'd like to be a part of that." Only if torture is involved. 

I nod, standing up and following him over to the tied up merchants. "Wait! I'm just an old man used for moving wagons around—" he immediately begins speaking. 

"I've met this man once before," Mikasa says, coming up beside me. "In the city, people were calling him the Boss." I know him as well. He held up evacuations from the reports, though I was further in the city trying not to die from lack of gas.

"Yeah, I know. Dimo Reeves, right?" He looks away from Levi to confirm that he's right. 

"We were just following orders that the Military Police forced on us. And failed big time. They'll plunder the Reeves company for all it's worth. They won't stop with me and my dumb son. They'll make sure all my employees die in so-called accidents."

"So you'll die without a fight?" Levi asks, looking at him in disgust. "Trost should've collapsed by now, but it's persevered. That's because the Reeve's company brings people and work together. But if the company is gone for good, just how few would survive the winter?" I know Forest and Cath would be okay as they still garden but I remember the Reeve's company helping a lot during the poverty time. 

"Are you suggesting I team up with you?" Dimo asks. 

"We just need to know where Eren and Historia are. If you're supplying the Military Police, we can figure something out."

"But can you stop my city and employees from dying of starvation?" he barks out. 

Levi kneels down in the most humble gesture I've ever seen from him, probably a move taken straight out of my father's manipulation book. Too bad he doesn't have the eyebrows to pull it off. "I can't guarantee it. However, you can trust that we'll move towards that end." Of course, Dimo accepts the deal. 

Levi walks outside and my body follows him out against it's better judgement. "Dimo Reeves almost got everyone in Trost killed. He follows the money. I don't trust him."

He turns around, taking steps towards me and pressing his built self almost against me. I'm mistaken at first in thinking he's angry. "Then trust me, Eliora."

A sigh escapes my mouth as I lean my forehead against his. I did trust him, with everything, but it didn't mean I am completely fearless like my father. I'm a coward like that. It's why Levi will forever be Humanity's Strongest Soldier and somewhere down the line, I'll die, probably known as just his wife or Erwin's daughter. Strangely, I'm alright with that, as long as I die fighting for what I believe in. Right now, that's Eren and we need to get him back, and if Levi thinks Dimo is the way, then I have to rely on that instinct. 

The plan to capture the Military Police working with Dimo went off without a hitch. I lean against the wall as the man, Sannes, struggles from where he's tied up. Levi has gloves and an apron on, out of his uniform and cravat to avoid getting blood and any other bodily fluids on himself. He keeps the bored unaffected look on his face as he beats the soldier. I offered to do it, but a quick dirty look was enough to send me to onlooker status.

"You're still at it!?" Hange asks, busting through the door noisily, Moblit behind her.

"Yeah, I'm pretty new to this," Levi says, as if he's talking about ODM gear and not torturing people for information.