Chapter Forty-Seven

It's already daybreak by the time I get close to the farm that I had spent the last four years on

It's already daybreak by the time I get close to the farm that I had spent the last four years on. Sorry Hange, I won't be back by morning.

Everything seems relatively untouched as if only a day ago I was here. I check my house first, finding it empty with dust starting to settle. Next, I go to Historia's house, wondering if she's even there or even alive at this point.

"Ellie?" She lets out a relieved sigh, pulling me into a hug the best she can with her belly.

"How's it going, Tori?"

"It's been a whirlwind but I'm safe, for now. Well, we're safe." At first, I think she means her and the baby but she steps aside to reveal Furlan.

"Furlan!"

"Momma!" We embrace and I don't want to let him go. It's been over a month since I've seen him, not knowing if he's alive and well. "Where's Papa?"

"He's with Grandma Hange. We're going to go back to them, alright?"

"So you're leaving already?" Historia asks me sadly. "Call me selfish, but I don't want to lose you again...cousin."

"Tori—"

"I don't know everything, but I know you have royal blood, too. You're the closest thing I've had to a sister since..." she trails off and I pull her into a hug.

"And you're the sister I've always wanted. I can't promise I'll be back since life has no guarantees, but if I make it, I plan on seeing my niece or nephew when I do."

"Be safe, El."

"Thank you for watching Furlan for me," I add, getting onto the horse.

"Anytime."

With that, I'm off, my son in front of me and ready to meet up with Hange and the others.

I follow the smoke, coming to the ports. I race to the edge of the water, clutching onto Furlan's hand as I run. A boat is getting ready to leave and I rush my tiny legs as fast as I can.

"Jean!" I yell, grabbing his attention. When he notices me, he helps both of us onto the ship.

The ship starts moving and I realize how close we came to missing them. I go to find Levi, finding him sitting on a bench nearby. I had forgotten his appearance might startle Furlan.

"Papa!" he yells, running to embrace him.

"Be gentle!" I call as an afterthought as Levi returns the hug carefully. I smile at our family being reunited, even if it's just for one last time. I think that's why Hange was so insistent about me bringing him with me. I could've left him with Historia.

I'm so selfish.

"He looks like Levi, doesn't he," a battered Reiner says, startling me.

I nod. "He's definitely an Ackerman."