Chapter Twenty-Nine

We didn't have very much rest time before getting back on our horses and heading the direction of the crawling Titan. I'm surprised they're still alive after the mess of the Chapel. Luckily, Levi was smart enough to keep them far away from the church.

In the distance, I spot my father, tears threatening to push to the surface at the relief I feel at seeing him. I know Hange said he was okay but I needed to see him for myself. He comes to meet us, looking over the wagon, spotting Hange.

"Seems like nothing too serious," he says, looking back to Levi. I long to hug him but I know right now he's the commander, and not my father. "Well done, everyone."

"I have a whole slew of things to report but first—" Levi starts, interrupted quickly by my father.

"What's that Titan?"

"Rod Reiss," I reply. His eyes widen at the news, looking between Levi and I.

"I think we'll need your call on this, Commander," our Squad Leader says, staring at him for guidance.

Erwin looks over at Historia and Eren before meeting our gazes again. "Regardless, we don't have time to stand here and chat. Return to Wall Sina." He turns his horse, beginning to trot away.

I hear Levi sharply inhale, knowing he thinks differently. "You're going to let that big ass crawl right up to the wall?"

My father turns over his shoulder, replying. "To Orvud District, actually. That's most likely where it's headed." He commands his squad forward, Levi following suit. We ride alongside the Titan, the surrounding forests catching fire from the proximity of the monster.

Without realizing, I've sped up between my father's squad and my own. He looks back at me every so often, his expression hard but I don't think it's because of me.

We arrive before the Titan, letting the horses rest from their fast journey. I feed my horse an apple, patting his snout before walking over to Levi doing the same as I.

"Are you ready for the next part?" He asks, looking over at me.

"Killing Rod Reiss or plugging Wall Maria?"

"Both."

I shake my head, my eyes resting on Levi's horse, not meeting my husband's eyes. "He's protecting his weak point, he's on fire pretty much, and he's larger than any abnormal we've encountered. I'm not ready to lose more people. I know we're close, so close now, but I'm tired of death. And plugging Wall Maria just means more of it. I'm exhausted Levi."

He pulls me into himself, just like before at the Chapel. Except, unlike there, this one felt like a goodbye. Does Levi think we won't survive this? "I love you," he whispers against my ear, and I keep a choked sob inside.

"I love you too, Levi."

"Gather your squad. The strategy meeting is about to begin," a man says from behind us, startling us apart. Levi nods, going to get the rest of our team. I follow behind the man, seeing my father. I can't tell if he's in parent mode or Commander, but I assume the latter.

"Eliora," he breathes out, going around the table and pulling me into a tight hug, well as tight as he can with one arm. Apparently, I was wrong. He's in parent mode.

"Dad, I'm so glad you aren't dead," I reply and he lets out a laugh.

"Me too. I'm glad you aren't dead either. When I saw the demolished Chapel in the distance, I feared the worst."

"With Levi, I'm convinced we'll continue to get lucky."

"And you know he won't let anything happen to you," he replies and I nod, looking away. "What's wrong?" His hand lifts my chin so I'll look him in the eyes.