chapter five

Harry, I’ve got simply wonderful news.

Harry’s apprehensive at this, reasonably so, because even with a twelve year old Tom Riddle's “simply wonderful news” is simply wonderful for Tom… but not so much other people. Nonetheless, Harry writes back with what he hopes is an acceptable amount of cheer. And that is?

I’m not a Muggleborn.

Harry faltered. He’d been exceptional at messing with the timeline thus far-- but Tom did not figure out about his heritage until years down the line. It's too soon. Harry’s not prepared.

That’s cool, Tom, Harry writes, all the while thinking it is not cool. How’d you find that out?

Fleamont has a snake. I can talk to it-- only Slytherin’s heir can do that. I’m not a Muggleborn, Harry.

He’s not prepared-- and not quite sure that Tom’s that different from the boy who opened the Chamber in his timeline. Not yet. He needs more time. Time he is not getting.

The book I read mentioned a Chamber of Secrets. Do you reckon I could find it, Harry?

Maybe, writes Harry. But I’d think you’d be more concerned with your parentage and not the perks. Your mom and dad-- are they alive?

Well, Merlope Gaunt, one of Slytherin’s descendants, and my mother, died around the time I was born. So it’s a nota on her. But she married Tom Riddle-- senior-- and my resources show he’s still alive. I could probably figure out where he’s at now but I don’t care to. I don’t want to see him and I’ve got better things to look into.

Well.. it was kind of an improvement-- the Original Tom Riddle found and killed his father. This one doesn’t want to do either. It’s progress. (He hopes.) Not so much so if these ‘other matters’ consist of opening the Chamber and eventually killing someone, but Harry’s fairly certain he can deter him.

Wellz Harry writes, I’m happy for you. It’s wonderful knowing where you’re from. If word gets around you're Slytherin's heir, you'd hardly need to gather the Deathly Hallows to be known.

Perhaps. But I'd still like to gather the Hallows-- I'd be known more worldwide.

Always have been ambitious, haven't you? Harry’s unsure how to breach the issue of the Chamber-- especially since he’d told Tom he’d never gone to Hogwarts. How’d he supposed to tell Tom not to open the Chamber when Harry ‘doesn’t know anything about it?’ Tom’s not a moron-- he’ll get reasonably suspicious.

Harry supposes he could just keep pushing Muggleborn propaganda to try and chill Tom out when he discovers the opening-- and Harry’s fairly sure Tom will and it’ll be sooner rather than later. Tom’s not emotionally connected to Harry (not yet, at any rate) so giving stories about Harry’s own Muggleborn wizarding friends hardly seems productive.

He’s also not sure what influence Fleamont will be on Tom. Though it’s better than Tom spending time with his future Death Eaters, Harry’s still not sure Fleamont is the best answer here. He doesn’t know Fleamont’s opinions on the whole Blood Purity debate. Harry has to ask Tom to acquire that information and if things go South, he’ll subtly try and lead Tom toward other possibilities after he gets the Cloak.

Fleamont’s a Gryffindor and a Potter and, although he may accept the friendship of Tom Riddle and have a snake (which are never a good signs,) it’s good enough. For now.

The snake, writes Tom, bringing Harry’s attention back to the boy. It’s named Nagini. Potter’s is.

Oh. Oh, Merlin-- that surely isn’t a coincidence (and another not-so-good sign.) This other Potter’s snake must escape sometime throughout the years and fall into Voldemort’s hands-- likely around the time it’s full grown.

Recovering from his shock quickly, Harry scrawls the first thing to come to mind: That’s a dumb name.

Oh? And you have a better one, Potter 2.0?

Harry shoves down a smile at the dumb nickname that won’t ever stick and thinks what would be a better name. He’s already screwed around with the timeline enough, but a small, insignificant thing like naming a snake is refreshing. Neville, he scribbles.

Harry thinks it’s only fitting-- in His timeline, Neville had been planning to kill the thing (he still hadn’t a clue about how the battle had turned out-- although, now that he thought about it, Death having to intercept it probably wasn’t the best sign.) Let the snake’s death be itd life.

It’s acceptable, I suppose. I’ll bring it up to Potter once I see him later.

Harry smiles widely-- it looks almost ludicrous, insane, in the hugely unhappy world he exists in, but who is there to see?

Speaking of Fleamont, says Harry. Have you got any news on the Invisibility Cloak?

Not yet but I’m only just now earning his trust, so that’s to be expected. Him showing me Neville was a huge step toward the right direction.

I’m sure.

That and the fact he fancies me.

A Potter liking Tom Riddle is a downright senile idea for Harry to consider. Harry just can't find it in himself to even try and believe Tom’s lying. Tom’s shown no excessive interest in trying to impress Harry-- hence, no motivation to deceive him on this statement.

Harry’s mildly disappointed in his bloodline but tries not to be too harsh on the boy. Tom’s charisma is his tact even now-- he was not the first nor will he be the last to be pulled in by his flattery and charm. Tom’s always been exceptionally well at everything he tries to accomplish… and being liked is no exception to this fact.

I’m sure it helps the cause, says Harry despite himself. He’s to keep up the image of friendship toward Riddle; he has no room to voice his inner monologue. He misses the freedom in speaking but he’s got no room to complain. There’s bigger things at stake.

I’m off to bed, Harry.

Have fun with your beauty sleep, Tom.

He feels his diary self being closed, protected with charms, then set aside. He envies Riddle for the many wonders of life-- and sleep is one example of such.