three

Tom holds the hand of Fleamont Potter, and he wonders with no small amount of awe how he ever got to be in this situation.

The beginning plan was simple; since the Invisibility Cloak belonged to the Potter Heir, he was to befriend him and collect his Cloak. One way or the other... though he would prefer not to use violent means, he wasn't exactly against it. For the sake of his reputation, he'd like to not risk rumor going around that he beat up some poor Gryffindor first year for what is essentially, to them, a nit nack.

So befriending and then coercion it was. He puts a lot of effort into his looks and into his outward personality, so it is no wonder that Fleamont not only buys his attempt at friendship... but also wants it to be something more. Tom has no idea what business Fleamont has being interested in a man. All Tom knows that if someone likes him, he can use that someone to his advantage.

Fleamont is the perfect example of this. He is eleven years old and attached at the hip with one Euphemia Moon, he is so kind it is a wonder he's not in Hufflepuff, and he flushes a brilliant shade of red whenever flirted with or even talked to.

Fleamont is doing terrible things to Tom's ego. He talks with Harry a bit, to humble himself.

Which is what happens when he talks with Harry -- he is either humbled, or rather confused. Harry is a stranger, also older than him, more knowledgeable, especially where the Deathly Hallows are concerned, even if he only tells Tom of the location of one. Harry is a Gryffindor, though he hasn't mentioned if he's even attended Hogwarts... now that Tom thinks about it, there's a lot he hasn't mentioned. And what he has mentioned, he's half lied about, Tom's sure. He recognizes a schemer because he himself is a schemer; it takes one to know one.

And Harry is the very definition of up to something. Tom just doesn't know what. Not yet.

"May I show you something, Riddle?" Fleamont asks him one evening, all red in the face and with a barely contained stammer.

"But of course," says Tom, flashing a dazzling smile, which only makes Fleamont blush more, to Tom's utmost satisfaction. "And I told you, Mont, to call me Tom."

Fleamont holds his hand and avoids his eyes, much like a bashful bride, while Tom internally tries not to gag. Pet names. Hand holding. Disgusting. Also useful.

Tom thinks for half a moment that what Fleamont means to show him is the Invisibility Cloak, which would end their relationship where it stands rather effectively. But of course, Tom's not that lucky.

Fleamont leads him through the Gyffindor common room, Tom smiling placidly to all glowering Lions, and into Fleamont's dorm room. He releases Tom's hand -- to Tom's unspoken relief -- and kneels beside his bed. He pulls out a full on aquarium, fitted with...

What is evidently a small snake.

"What the fuck?" Tom whispers. He is either in awe, jealous, or surprised and he can't tell which it is, nor which would be worse.

Fleamont laughs, a light sound. "She's a dear," he says, picking it up so that the small snake coils around his wrist. "Her name is Nagini. I plan to release her whenever she gets too big to keep."

"How big is too big?" asks Tom, with too much eagerness to be normal.

Fleamont bites his lip. "Erm -- well -- her species grows up to twelve feet long. So. Some time before that happens."

Tom wants. He is always yearning after something new, and this is it. He wants this twelve foot long beautiful snake, god damn it! He wants this snake as a pet...

... and he supposes that since he is dating Fleamont (really he still cannot believe that is happening), that this snake, as well as the Invisibility Claok, might one day be in his possession just by fucking proxy. Tom's greedy mind is racing.

"And you plan to just release it into the world? That sounds like biological terrorism to me," says Tom, though not disapprovingly. He's all for violent deeds of any kind, mainly for his own amusement, and imagining some idiot getting devoured by a giant snake is very entertaining.

Fleamont blinks with clear fluster. "I can't just let her die," he says. Ah, what a Hufflepuff. "Even at the expense of others," he adds, darkly. And yet, such a Slytheirn

Even though Fleamon is a Gryffindor, it's clear that he takes after the Beavers more than anything. It makes Tom wonder if all Hufflepuffs are like this -- or if at least a good chunk are.

Perhaps this is a sign from the Gods -- Hufflepuffs, while naive, stupid, and self righteous, are also notoriously loyal. Loyal to a fault. Though their regard may not be easily won, once it's secured, it would be unwavering. And wouldn't it be nice, to have all that loyalty on his side?

Yes. This interaction decides it.

Tom Riddle is taking over Hufflepuff.