chapter thirty-three

Winter break is upon them before they know it. Harry relishes in the fact that (in the first time in a long time) he is to be spending Christmas alive, if only in some sense of the word. Tom is not as relaxed. His friends, however reluctant he remains to call them such, have all gone home for the winter. Fleamont invited him to come home with him for Christmas, an offer that Tom usually jumped at. But Tom had business relating to a certain immortal, and found himself declining.

On December 26, Tom Riddle is called down to Headmaster Dippet's office.

Tom, with the knowledge he is more than likely to become Nicolas's apprentice, did some research before their expected meeting. He knows that Nick and Dumbledore have deep history-- Flamel going so far as to offer his house as a safe place for Dumbledore and his potential allies against Grindelwald in the ~1920's. He and Albus worked together in regards unrelated to good ol' GG, as their history of alchemy work proved. Nicolas's wife, Perenelle, is his fellow immortal and companion. Having both previously resided in France, it's not common knowledge where he lives in Britain. Though it's more likely he attended Beauxbatons than Hogwarts, the man is an undoubted Gryffindor.

If he didn't have the Elixir of Life, the key to Tom Riddle's not so little fear of death, then Tom would be more adversary than ally to the old gizer. As is, as is.

To Tom's only mild surprise, Dumbledore is in Dippet's office when he arrives, happily chatting with Nicolas. Old friends indeed-- emphasis on the old.

Dumbledore spots him when he enters. His face is unreadable, ever so pensive, and Tom just knows there's a million questions residing under the mask. We are so alike sometimes, Tom thinks, surprising even himself, The only difference is I'm infallible and you fail to even pretend to be.

"Oh, Tom, you've arrived, my boy," said Dumbledore cheerfully, drawing Nicolas's attention toward him. Do not call me boy, Tom thinks but does not say. "I must admit, I lost track of time. It sure does fly when you're having fun. Anywho, I won't keep you. Do stay in touch, Nick."

He slaps Nicolas on the back, and Tom is so focused on the gesture it passes his mind to notice Albus being slipped a red stone.

Dippet, now in the absence of Albus, gestures for them to take a seat. Tom does so with grace. He takes time to survey Nicolas's apperance.

He looks unsurprisingly old. Not early-600's old, for sure. His hair is white and his eyes sunken in, but Tom would pin him at late sixties at worst if he didn't know better. His clothes are, equally unsurprisingly, fancy; after all, the Stone produces gold as well. It'd be ridiculous not to use that to his advantage.

"It's a fine, fine pleasure to meet you," says Nicolas. His french accent bleeds in at times-- his "fine"s sound more like "vine"s if one isn't paying attention-- but it seems to have faded away with age. His voice sounds old; hoarse, tired. He speaks slowly. Every word seems to tire him further.

Tom grins charismaticly at him. "It's wonderful to meet you as well. I'm so fascinated with your work; it's to be such an honor to work under you."

Dippet cuts in gleefully, "That's exactly what we're here to discuss! Nicolas suggests that you can work with him for the school year of next year; what are your thoughts?"

"That's an excellent idea, but I have no intention of falling behind on my Hogwarts education."

"Of course not," said Nicolas. "You would be staying with me while we work, and I'd give you enough off time to keep up with your grades. Dippet's offered to set it up so your teachers send you classwork through owl post and such. You'd have a fair number of visiting days, of course."

"Brilliant," said Tom. It's a good amount of time to aquire his Elixir and be taught alchemy by the most renowned inventor of the time-- all the while keeping up with his Hogwarts education. It's a shame that he'd have to miss out on the full Hogwarts Experince, but some things can't be helped.

"It's great that you're getting this opportunity," said Dippet, sounding every bit genuine, "But I also must remind you that you'd miss out on your Perfect opportunities, and the Head Boy position that would surely follow. You are absolutely being considered for both, as our star student, but it cannot happen if you aren't here."

A pity. He deserves the Head Boy position more than anyone. But Tom thinks of Euphemia's lifeless body, of Gellert's blood stained thumb, and the scent of grass and copper haunting him in his worst of moments. He thinks I will not become you, and says, "As is, as is. I hope you find someone more fitting for the job." They won't. It's not his problem.

Nicolas smiles and it's an odd, weary thing. He's so tired. "Have you discussed things with your guardians?" he asks. He's not been keeping up, it seems. That's alright. The less he knows, the more power Tom holds.

"I'm afraid my mother is deceased," Tom says, feigning sadness he cannot for the life of him feel. He plays the part of the disheartened orphan so well. "My father is alive, but I am officially under Wool's Orphanage's ward. I've been staying with my future in-laws, the Potter's. They're very supportive of this all." He hadn't told Fleamont's parents, actually, and probably wouldn't for a while. It's not like they'd deny him either way. Tom inwardly appaulds at his strategic display of tragic backstory.

Nicolas nods thoughtfully. "I'll send you a letter with more official details once your living arrangements have been sorted out."

"Wonderful," said Tom, and it was, even if Nicolas seemed largely unaffected by his attempts at manipulation.

He could (would) change that, of course. He'd have a year to do so and it is sure to be more than enough.