chapter sixteen

(1x04 Hope Is Not The Goal)

Lilah stands in front of Dana with her friends, watching the pale girl sit on the picnic table in front of them with a heavy sigh. She folds her arms over her chest as the human girl gears up to start telling them the details of the previous night.

"We were on the way to graffiti that mill at your school," she begins. "It was a harmless prank. But then, I got snatched. Next thing I remember, I woke up in a ditch." She inhales deeply before turning to Lizzie, glaring at the blonde. "So, enjoy it while you can, Lizzie—I'm sure I look like crap." She reaches up to scratch the back of her neck, stopping abruptly when she feels the harsh bite marks underneath her ear. "Oh, my God! What is that?"

"It's—" Hope hesitates, struggling to find an answer. She looks at Lilah helplessly, her mouth gaping open. "Someone help me out here."

Lilah widens her eyes, "uh—"

"It's the mother of all hickeys," Lizzie pipes up. "You're fine, Dana. You're just a little slutty."

Dana blinks up at the girl, her eyes falling at Lizzie's words.

"Don't worry, Dana," Lilah rushes to reassure me girl, a sting of pity swelling in her chest. "Enjoying pleasure doesn't make you a slut. It just makes you someone who enjoys pleasure."

"Right, thanks for that, Ghandi," Dana sneers.

"What?" Lilah mutters, confused.

"I don't even like any of you," she whines. "I should be talking to the cops."

Dana stands from the picnic table to walk away but Landon jumps in her path, blocking her from moving. "I can't let you do that," he says awkwardly.

Dana glares up at him, her eyes narrowed. Before the girl can get a word in, Hope raises her hand and closes it into a fist, muttering a small incantation under her breath. "Ad somnum."

Landon side steps Dana as she collapses to the ground. "I mean, she can't let you do that."

Lizzie, focused on the fact that her mortal enemy is somehow still alive, looks up at Kaleb in horror; her eyes wide. "So you didn't kill her—you freaking turned her?"

"Turned her?" He scoffs, "You think I want to sit and listen to that for all eternity?"

"Well, someone did, meaning that we have a transitioning vampire on our hands," Hope informs the group. She gestures to Dana's unconscious body, her lips pursed. "So what are we gonna do with her?"

Lilah frowns, "maybe we should take her home."

"Why on earth would you ever suggest that?" Hope questions, glancing at the girl incredulously.

"She doesn't look too good," Lilah explains. "What are the chances that we'll be able to explain the transition and convince her to go through with it before she dies? She's gonna think we're lunatics."

"Why don't we bring her back to the bus?" Landon suggests. "We can figure out what to do when she's not out in the open anymore."

The group murmurs their agreements and MG takes it upon himself to scoop the girl up, holding her body in his arms as he starts to trek back to where they left the school bus. Lilah shoves her hands into her pockets as she follows, lingering a few feet away from the other teenagers. She pretends not to notice whenever Hope falls behind a few steps so they can walk together.

"I do like your outfit," Hope mumbles quietly.

Lilah looks at her, a small grin gracing her lips. Her hands subconsciously travel to the soft material of the dress, her eyes shining. "Yeah," she whispers. "Maisy did a great job."