chapter six

(Don't It Just Break Your Heart 5.05)

Lilah lounges on Hope's bed, looking up expectantly when the door handle jiggles and the Mikaelson shuffles in. Hope fixes her with a look, shaking her head. "What do you want?"

Lilah winces, pretending to be hurt. "Ouch," she pouts. "You were being so nice."

"You caught me in a moment of weakness," Hope snides. "Now, really, what do you want?"

Lilah's facade breaks and she smirks, shrugging her shoulders. "I got bored,"

"So you broke into my room?"

"Yes," Lilah nods.

Hope pauses, "you picked the lock?"

"Obviously," Lilah gives her a blank look. "I can't just open says me the door off the hinges."

"I'm well aware," Hope looks over her shoulder at the Saltzman, contemplating. "Does it bother you that you can't do magic?"

"When I was little," she informs the girl. "I didn't understand why I wasn't allowed."

"You do now?" Hope wonders.

"I don't really have a choice," Lilah says. "Even if I wanted to do magic, it'd go absolutely nuts. I don't know how to control it, or if I even could."

"Right," Hope mutters.

Lilah studies the girl for a few seconds, "what's going on?"

Hope stills, "what?"

The Saltzman squints, "believe it or not, you put out energy too, Mikaelson. What's up with you?"

Hope moves to the bed and sits down, leaning her back against the wall. "I'm just worried about my Mom, I guess. This is— well, all of this is kind of my fault."

"I'm sure you'll find her," Lilah reassures the girl. "If the history books have proven anything, it's that the Mikaelson's are known for surviving."

Hope meets the girls eyes, biting the inside of her cheek. "I'm not so sure this time."

•••

Later that evening, Lilah trudges back into the bell tower room, her face twisted into a scowl. "You're so lucky I wasn't asleep yet," she informs Hope.

Hope turns toward her, rolling her eyes at the Saltzman dramatics. "It's not even that late, Lilah."

The blonde stares at her, "and what about it?"

Hope sighs, giving the girl a look as if to say please take this seriously.

"Fine," Lilah groans. "I'm guessing this is about your note in my pocket, which is an invasion of privacy, by the way."

Hope raises her eyebrows, "you broke into my room."

Lilah blinks, "yeah, but that's expected."

"Be quiet, please," Hope snaps. Lilah presses her lips together, staring at the girl with wide, attentive eyes. "Um, so...I need a favor. There's this thing that I have to do, and...there's a chance it might not end well."

"You literally couldn't be more cryptic," Lilah frowns. "What do you mean, a thing? Does this have anything to do with why your aunt is—"

Hope cuts Lilah off by grabbing the material of her shirt and yanking her closer, pressing their lips together. The Mikaelson moves from her shirt to her face, cradling the girl's cheeks in between her hands.

Lilah blinks, dazed. "Holy sh—"

Hope presses their lips together again, the kiss ending too soon due to the Mikaelson giggling at Lilah's spaced out look. Her thumbs tap the apple of the Saltzman's cheeks before she pulls away, her face falling in the slightest bit. "I might die today,"

Lilah snaps out of it, her eyes meeting Hope's with a newfound urgency. "What?" She breathes. "No, you— no—"

"It's how I get my Mom back," Hope cuts her off. "So I just...needed to cross a few things off my bucket list first."

Lilah nods slowly, "we just had our first kiss."

Hope flushes, ducking her head. "We did,"

The Saltzman sobers up, giving Hope a firm look. "Come back, okay? I cannot have the first girl I've ever kissed die right afterwards."

Hope rolls her eyes, "and they say romance is dead."

Lilah smiles dreamily, "never for you."