chapter four

age 14&15 (Where You Left Your Heart 5.01)

After being informed of Hope's impending departure, Lilah decides it's best to be the bigger person and wish the girl a warm goodbye. "Well," she plops down next to Hope when she finds her. "I have to say I'm not impressed."

Hope side eyes her, "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Come on," Lilah groans. "Save us both the trouble and stop pretending like you don't know that I know what you did."

Hope pauses, "I'm not even sure what you just said makes sense."

Lilah huffs, "I can't believe after all these years, this is what gets you expelled. He's not that dead."

"Sounds like you're gonna miss me," Hope teases.

Lilah turns to her with a blank stare, "miss you? The girl who follows me around like a puppy, won't leave me alone like— ever, and is practically obsessed—"

Hope fixes her with a look, "you make it sound like I enjoy your company."

The Saltzman grins cheekily, "I've been told I'm great company to keep. I'm good at making conversation."

"That's because you never shut up," Hope informs her. "You're like a limb that keeps growing back everytime you cut it off."

Lilah blinks, "I think that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me."

"Don't get used to it," Hope snaps. "You're literally the bane of my existence. The sooner I get away from you, the better."

Lilah hums with a wide smile, "I think I'm gonna miss you."

Hope opens her mouth to speak but Henry's arrival cuts her off, her sharp glare being aimed at him instead of Lilah, for once.

"Sorry for getting you in trouble," he tells her.

"I said be discreet," Hope reminds him. "What part of jumping out of a clock tower is discreet?"

"I had to make sure it would work," he hisses quietly. "If I only hurt myself, then I would've just healed."

"Right," Hope snorts. "Because no ones ever died peacefully from sleeping pills."

Lilah smirks, folding her arms and leaning back in her chair.

"I'm not a person things go right for," Henry snaps at her. "You ever seen a werewolf with no pecs who quotes E. E Cummings? I can already tell I'm getting stronger. You know how good it will be not to have to take crap from anybody?"

Hope gapes, "what— what makes you think that? You're a hybrid now. You may be able to defend yourself, but they'll only hate you for being different."

Lilah swallows thickly and drops her gaze.

"I don't think that you thought this through, Henry."

"You wouldn't understand," he brushes her off.

"Oh?" Hope raises her eyebrows. "Me? I wouldn't understand."

"That's different," Henry argues. "None of the students know that you're Klaus Mikaelson's daughter."

"I don't know why Lisina told you," Hope mutters distastefully. "You and I aren't even friends."

"Your Mom's our Alpha," he reminds her. "All the Crescent wolves know."

"And so will everyone at school when they start asking how you survived a swan dive out of the memorial library," the tribid snarks.

A rush of fear invades Henry's expression. "Your Dad's not gonna kill me for getting you suspended, is he?"

Hope's face darkens. "I wouldn't know," she says. "He can't bother to be a Dad."

Lilah smiles tightly and waves at Henry. "Make an exit now, Henry."

He does as says, leaving the two girls in an awkward silence. Hope heaves a sigh, looking at Lilah with a stare of annoyance. "Why are you upset?"

"I'm not," Lilah side eyes the girl.

"Yes, you are," Hope snaps. "When you're angry, I can feel it. You put off an—an annoying energy when something's wrong with you."

"I do not," Lilah disagrees.

Hope grimaces, turning away from the girl. "You need to calm down," she snaps.

"You calm down," the Saltzman grunts.

"Lilah—"

"You're such a hypocrite!" The blonde finally bursts.

Hope is at a loss, "what?"

"You preach at Henry about how he made a mistake and how people are gonna hate him because he's different— how people hate you because you're different." Lilah's face comforts with anger. "You've despised me since the day you got here, Hope. Because my magic is different."

"I didn't hate you," Hope's volume rises. "I was cautious of you. Your magic is different, Lilah, and whether you want to admit it or not—it's dark and your Dad has a right to forbid you from using it!"

Lilah curls in on herself, her eyes filling with tears. "I'm not evil, Hope."

"You aren't," Hope shrugs. "I can't say the same for your magic."

"Hope," Ric's voice rings out, his tone strained. His eyes flick between Lilah and the Mikaelson. "Come talk with me, now."

Hope huffs, standing from her chair and stomping into his office. Ric moves closer to his daughter, rubbing comforting circles on her back when she presses her face into his chest in order to muffle her sobs. "It's okay," he hushes. "You're not evil or dark, honey, okay—"

"But my magic is," she states, looking up at him. "I mean, she's right, isn't she? We don't know anything about what's inside of me and that's why I'm not able to use any of it."

Ric frowns, "I'm looking into it, sweetheart, okay?"

Lilah wipes her cheeks, "yeah, okay."

"Go lie down," he instructs. "Take a nap, calm down. We'll go for dinner later or something."

The blonde smiles weakly, "tell her goodbye for me."

Ric's gaze softens, "I promise."

With one last lingering look to Ric's office door, Lilah spins on her heel and walks away from Hope Mikaelson.