chapter two

age 8&9

Lilah sits at a table in the library, her legs curled up underneath her as she reads a spell book, her eyes quickly trailing over the words. The chair opposite her creates a shrill sound as it's yanked away from the table, Hope Mikaelson dropping into the seat with a blank look. "Hello, Lilah," she greets boredly.

Lilah looks up meekly, her lips pulling into a small smile. "Hi, Hope. What are you doing?"

Hope stares at her for a second, "your Dad told me to come hang out with you."

Lilah frowns, nodding slowly. "Oh," she clears her throat. "That's nice."

"What are you doing?" Hope questions, leaning over the table and peering down at the book. Lilah lifts her head, her eyes widening when she and Hope make eye contact, their faces inches away. Hope flushes and jolts back quickly while Lilah calmly gazes at her, her head cocked to the side like a curious puppy. "What?" Hope finally snaps.

"Why are you always so grumpy?"

"I'm not," Hope says, offended. "Why are you reading a spell book? You can't do magic anyway."

Lilah furrows her eyebrows, her gaze falling. "I just find it interesting," she whispers. "I like to learn about it."

"Even though you'll never be able to do any of it?"

Lilah shrugs and closes the book, clasping her hands on top of it.

"Where are Lizzie and Josie?" Hope wonders.

The Saltzman girl stills, biting the inside of her cheek. "They're visiting our Mom," she says slowly.

Hope raises her eyebrows, "why didn't you go?"

Lilah hums, "I just didn't want to."

"Girls," Ric stops on the entryway of the library, his eyebrows shooting up in surprise. "I see you're getting along."

"We're not," they say in sync. Lilah's eyes dart to Hope and she wrinkles her nose, giving the girl a look.

"I'm not copying you," Hope spits out.

Ric sighs heavily, "and here I thought a miracle had happened."

Lilah smiles up at him, her eyes pleading. "Can I stay with Aunt Bonnie until Lizzie and Josie get back?"

Ric frowns, his eyes flicking between his daughter and the Mikaelson. "No," he says hesitantly. "You and Hope need to bond."

Lilah whines, letting her head fall onto the table. "What did I do wrong?"

"What?" Ric asks, amused.

"Can you just ground me or something?" Lilah begs. "I don't want to spend time with her. She's mean," the girl says, side eyeing Hope.

"And you're whiny," Hope gripes.

Ric perks up as Emma walks into the library, unsuspecting of the drama unfolding. "Emma," he breathes. "Please take Hope and Lilah out for a girls day. The park, The Grill, shopping, I don't care. Just get them to bond, please."

Emma blinks, her lips parted in surprise. "Yeah, okay." Her gaze falls to the sulking girls. "Come on then."

Lilah grumbles under her breath as she slips out of her chair, glaring at the back of Hope's head when the Mikaelson shoulders past her.

"Have fun," Ric grins.