1: Asshole

A/N: M rated- there is a lot of swearing in this. I can't stay away from it, it's the seventies. Not everything is or needs to be comically or comic-canonically correct!

"Really, I just recommend playing it cool," Mother said as she opened the cupboard for a teabag. She was angry, at first, when she found out I had destroyed my second high school's PA system but had come to terms with the fact it was merely an accident. She had calmed down much faster than she did the last time it had happened. "You blew up the walls of your school, but nobody knows and nobody will know. There is a week until summer break begins, I think you can manage."

      "I hope I can manage," I replied, rubbing my eyes groggily and setting my elbows on the counter with my face in my hands. "I don't know if I can sit through an assembly full of mumbling about the disaster I caused."

     Mother set the cup of tea in front of me, alongside the milk carton and sugar bowl. She sighed, giving me a small, comforting smile, "Just don't focus on the sound around you, and remember to breathe. If the sound becomes too much, plug your ears."

    I sipped the tea black, "I don't know if it works like that."

       She put her hands on her hips and leaned forward, in a whisper, so that she wouldn't overwhelm me with the simple, yet expectation-filled word, "Try." She pat the backpack that sat on the stool next to her gently, before handing it to me. "Repeat your affirmations and you'll have everything under control. Try to enjoy the last week before summer. Grade 12 will be the hardest year."

    "Fine... I will try," I nodded in response, downing the rest of my tea as quickly as I could. "For you and only you... with only a hint of 'I-don't-want-to-be-experimented-on-by-the-government'." My mother flashed a wide, white grin at me before coming to give me a hug. A hug that was well-needed in moments like these. Moments where I felt misplaced.

     She placed her hands on my shoulders, "You look so much like your mom," she said with a great sigh. And this reassurance was well-needed for her, so I let her make the speech again.

      My birth mother had given birth to me with the help of a surrogate father, as my mothers are both women. But my biological mom died from a heart attack when I was only four. I missed her... and so did my mother. The least I could do was let her appreciate her lost wife through me. It happened every once in a while and it never caused any harm, so I let it happen. 

           She pat my cheek lovingly, "-More and more every day. The blonde hair, those big brown eyes, the full lips. Thank god you don't have her height, I can't imagine you being taller than me. You are so beautiful, Venus, I hope you know."

     "Thank you," I said as she wrapped her arms around me in a tight embrace. It lasted a few seconds before she ushered me out the door, quite literally pushing. Her wave of appreciation and emotion must have become too much. "Bye!" I called out as she laughed quietly and shut the door. I sighed, then inhaled deeply and proceeded to walk to school with my mind focused on how many steps I took, rather than the sounds of cars, wind, trees, and small yipping dogs.

      At 713 steps, I reached the doors of the school. There was tape up everywhere, flagging the area affected by the closest explosion. Opening the door to the school, there was the same tape, all down the hallway next to the wall that was still crumbling to pieces. The good thing was the biggest injury sustained was a scratch on a senior's arm. I stared at the clock on the first-floor wall, next to the bulletin board. It was 9:43, there were two minutes until class started.

      It was Monday and from what I'd heard, most people skipped their classes the last week of the year and the teachers didn't really teach much, instead, giving out word searches and crossword puzzles. I had only been here for two and a half months, but the only friend I had at this school so far had told me this was a yearly occurrence.