Eight - Bayard's Arrival

Valda stared out the window of her room, seeing the bustling people below. Her side ached with phantom pains that she attempted to ignore. Ever since her time in the Veil, she hadn't been able to shake that strange feeling of death's cold grip. She couldn't rid herself of the nightmares that plagued her. Dark figures roaming the halls, monsters attacking, her mother's bloodied and dead figure. Lily, Priamos, Merlin, Morgana, Gwen, Arthur, all dead and torn to shreds.

She shook off the morbid thoughts, pushing everything to the back of her mind.

Her father was set to arrive that day, and she still had to get ready. Lily had chosen a dress for her, one made of dark blue velvet with gold lining and accents. It sat off her shoulders, with hanging sleeves to show off the swirling pattern of gold fabric. The blue velvet made a train in the back. the only outside detail was a thick golden belt that hung down the front and almost brushed the floor.

She slipped on her mother's bracelet, as well as a blue cloth necklace with gold metal accents and a blue stone in the middle. Her circlet sat atop her head, and lily had already done her hair earlier into a half-up braid.

The door opened, and in walked Lily with a tray of food. Little snacks, since Gaius had ordered her to eat more and gain her energy back. Even though it had been more than enough time, it seemed like everyone was still on edge with her.

"Your Father will be here soon," Lily said softly, "are you prepared?"

Valda only hummed, moving back to the window, ignoring the food her maid had placed. Valda could see Lily watching her from the corner of her eye. She ignored the feeling of her burning gaze.

Eventually, she would have to straighten up and fall back into her role as princess, but for now, she allowed herself to sulk.

"You're going to be greeting your father with the Pendragons in the main hall," Lily continued, moving to make Valda's bed.

Shouting from outside rang out, and Valda stood peering out the glass. Outside the gates of Camelot, her father's procession approached. Valda, without much care for her breakfast, moved to the door.

"Valda!" Lily called behind her, her rushed steps trying to keep up with the long-legged princess. "Your Highness, please, slow down!"

Valda slowed enough for Lily to keep up, but kept at a rushed pace. She heard her maidservant sigh out in relief, both of them making their way down the stone steps at a much to fast pace. Servants moved out of Valda's way, pressing into railings and walls to avoid her.

She thought she probably looked a bit crazed, with her hands bunching up her skirt and her hair flying behind her.

She turned a corner, slamming into someone's back.

"Oof," She grunted, stumbling back into Lily's arms. The small girl squeaked out, struggling to catch and hold Valda.

"Watch where you are- oh..." The voice faltered, and Valda looked up to see Arthur. He was dressed nicer than usual, in a red shirt, shiny boots, and a brown coat.

Lily pushed Valda slightly, reminding the princess that she was in fact still leaning back on the maidservant. Valda pushed herself back up, straightening her dress and her hair.

"Are you not going to apologize, Princess?" Arthur quirked a brow.

"Your Highness," Valda greeted, "You have my most sincere apologies. It appears that I was in such a rush, I didn't see you before I turned. A surprise, as your ego is usually hard to miss."

Arthur scoffed, looking almost shocked, "After I saved your life, and everything." He shook his head.

Valda clamped her mouth shut, jaw clenched. The veil came back to the forefront of her mind. Arthur's eyes drifted to her now tensed figure.