Three - The Singer of Mora

After her rather rousing talk with Lily, Valda decided that exploring the castle may do her some good, though it was more to think about her situation than to memorize the passages and rooms. It wasn't often that the princess came to a kingdom unless it was to battle or invade. Such practices always made her sick to her stomach though, and she had to admit that despite her hatred for the Pendragons, she preferred this tense peace to war. She knew it was just a fact of being a princess. Unfavorable situations had to be persevered through.

Valda was dressed in more relaxed clothing. A light skirt made of a layer of pale cream-colored chiffon and a layer of white cotton. A thick, wrap belt separated it and her sleeveless ivory shirt with gold embroidery around the plunging neckline. A robe made of the same light cream material made for the finishing touches. The only other items she wore being cream slippers and her plain, thin golden circlet. 

It was still quite over-the-top for a regular working-class citizen, but much more tame compared to Valda's other options. Among lush velvet and hand-embroidered overcoats, it ranked low on the scale of extravagance.

The castle was quiet, with only the soft bustling of the staff. People carrying laundry, food, and even armor. A few knights passed by, but most just nodded respectfully and moved on. Leon, happened to come across her, stopping her to ask if she needed an escort, but she just waved him off, thanking him anyways, though.

Valda had a feeling that her and Leon would get along well, while she was here, despite his association to Camelot. While she wouldn't be able to confide in him about her thoughts and dislike of the royal family, she was sure that she would eventually be able to joke with him. Plus, he was sweet, and Priamos seemed to get along well with him. Lily had even made a comment about how he had offered to help her carry a large basket of laundry one day. 

It was strange, how much work Lily seemed to have all of a sudden, but when Valda asked, the blonde only waved her off. She had mentioned all this laundry and food, of which Valda was sure wasn't her's. It made the redhead suspicious, but Lily seemed to not want her to worry, so she didn't push it.

Her fingers wrapped around the piece of paper in her pocket, thinking back to Lily handing it to her earlier. It was a note from Uther, requesting that Valda retrieve a special letter from her father about the peace treaty for him. She had already delivered it, but kept hold of the note.

Soft footsteps and humming drifted down the corridor. Valda halted, listening closely. The soft voice spoke in a language Valda couldn't pinpoint, but which sounded vaguely familiar. The voice was coming from a dark haired woman in a purple dress, who rounded the corner and stopped abruptly.

"Oh," The woman placed a hand to her chest, breathing heavily. "You scared me."

"Apologies," Valda said hesitantly. "I assume you are Lady Helen? The singer."

Helen nodded, "Yes, and you are?" She asked.

Valda quirked a brow. She was unsure that it had been Helen at first, as she had only met the woman once, but she doubted that the singer would easily forget the face of the princess of Mercia. It was odd, to see genuine lack of recognition on her face, as the last time Valda had seen her, she had said how much like her mother she had looked.

"Princess Valda Rochestel, of Mercia," Valda stared, as Helen's eyes widened and she dropped into a curtsy.

"I must apologize, as I did not recognize you," She said. Hesitantly, she raised herself up and spoke, "I haven't visited Mercia in a long time, but you do look like your mother. I see it now."

Valda eyed her skeptically, but only nodded. "If you'll excuse me, Lady Helen," Valda began. "I have to be going."

Lady Helen nodded, curtsying again and walking off. Valda stared after her a moment, before also beginning her walk again. This time though, she was moving quicker. Something was off, she could feel it. She needed to speak with Lily right away.