Two - The Dragon's Den

Valda woke with a start, breathing heavily. Her brow was drenched in sweat, and her hair clung to her skin like dripping, red wax. Shaking slightly, she attempted to calm herself from the adrenaline of the nightmare. A knock on her door startled her, and she called out in a choked tone.

"Come in," Her throat felt dry.

The door creaked open to reveal Lily, who wore a simple white under-dress, a pale blue skirt, and a dark blue bodice. Her hair was pulled up out of her face, with a purple scarf tied around it and only her bangs poking out.

"I drew a bath for you earlier, and gathered your clothes for the day," Lily said, a skeptical look from Valda drawing out more. "Don't worry, it isn't a dress this time. You're training today, so I gathered pants and a shirt."

Valda nodded, getting up from her bed and moving over to where a divider had been pulled across for her to bathe. The water smelt of strawberries and vanilla, which always managed to calm down and soothe her. She climbed in, feeling the cold water against her skin. She had always preferred the cold to the hot. The only time she ever wanted a hot bath was after a long day of training. 

Lily came around the divider with soaps and other things. She placed them on a small table next to the bath and began to help Valda. The princess submerged her head underwater, wetting her hair as Lily crouched behind, rubbing soaps and massaging her scalp. Lily lightly ran her fingers through Valda's hair. Once the soap was washed out, she began to braid Valda's hair. She always did it just after washing, as it was almost impossible to accomplish when it was dry.

It was quiet only a moment as Valda began the usual routine. Every time she needed a bath, she would ask Lily to report on the opinions of the servants and other townspeople, even in Mercia. It was the easiest way to gain a accurate view of the people's moods and thoughts.

"Mostly just repeats of old rumors," Lily giggled. "My favorite happens to be the one where you are secretly a man."

Valda scoffed, "People need to find better things to do than gossip."

Lily shrugged, "And this is not gossip?"

She took pins from the table, putting them in Valda's hair to keep the braided crown in place. She left a few strands by Valda's face to frame it, but knew anything more would only annoy the woman throughout the day.

"No, this is gathering information," Valda said matter-of-factly.

Lily smiled at the princess, putting away the extra pins.

"How long until the execution?" Valda shifted in the tub.

"A few hours,"

"Good," Valda nodded. "I have time to draw then?"

Lily nodded.

After the bath, Valda rose from the water while Lily retrieved her clothes. Grabbing a nearby towel, She began to dry off. Lily switched the soaps out for the clothes, leaving to let Valda get dressed as she usually did. Instead of helping Valda, the maid distracted herself with making the bed and small talk.

"The weather is nice today," Valda heard as she pulled on her undergarments. "Priamos said it would be a perfect day to practice."

Valda slipped into her black pants, nodding even though Lily couldn't see.

"And a perfect day for an execution, by Uther's standards," Next came her shirt, collared and with a diagonal closing on the front, which Valda laced closed. She grabbed her long, yellow, duster. It had gold embroidery around the trim, and a sewn-in belt to keep it closed.

"As if your father wouldn't do the same," Lily grumbled.

Valda scoffed, coming out from behind the divider, she padded over to Lily. The servant looked up from her work, and eyebrow raised.