Best Feeling Ever

Yoon Se Ri

I chickened out. I knew that. It's just... well, I was scared. My attraction to him was off the chart. The way he's been opening up to me was just.. beautiful. I loved every minute we're talking. But.. still I couldn't imagine if we're more than what we were.

I sighed and found myself in the cafetaria for early lunch but couldn't find any will to queue. I was not kidding when I said I had enough material to cook an article up about him, but did I really want to end our meeting?

The school already buzzed about our newfound close relationship or so they thought. They didn't know that I was actually interviewing him.

"What are you so depressed about?" Seo Dan sat in front of me with her boyfriend Gu Seung Jun.

I looked at her and sighed. For the hundredth time. "It's the last interview with Ri Jeong Hyeok today."

Seo Dan softened after hearing that. "Well, cheer up! That means you are one step away from finishing your assignment, right?"

"Actually, I would've been fine after the fourth of fifth interview. I just can't stop hearing him. And looking at him when he told me his story. And suffering with him."

Seo Dan and Gu Seung Jun looked at each other and Dan gave him a 10.000 won bill. "I've told you! Bye, Seri! Cheer up!" Seung Jun kissed Dan's cheek and went about his business.

"What's that about?"

"Well, we made a bet on whether you two will develop any feelings after all this meet up which we think is just his trick to spend time with you. I said.. well, I thought you will hold your own! Damn, girl."

I smacked her hand, this girl ishh.. she laughed really hard and not long that I joined her.

"You know, in all seriousness, I am really happy for you."

"Nothing to be happy for. I kind of reject his.. advance yesterday. I don't know what to expect."

"Believe me, everyone is making a bet on you two. Two most beautiful people in this campus dating. Ah, his fans probably flipped right now."

Just then, a message came. From Ri Jeong Hyeok.

 From Ri Jeong Hyeok

***

I couldn't concentrate on my course after that messages. I kept asking question. Sneakers? What for? Oh, this guy. Urghhh.

I went to the field 15 minutes before 5. He was already there, working with his coach on the fields. He's not hitting today, I observed. Ah, how far I've become since that first day on this field.

I sat at the same seat as our first meeting. And just looked at him working out. Repeating the catch and throw the ball motion over and over again. 5 minutes before 5, Ri Jeong Hyeok bowed to his coach after the session ended. He directly snapped his attention to my seat and jogged over.

"Hey, come down. Let's talk on the field." I didn't know how he knew I was seating there, but I nodded nonetheless. I descent towards the stairs and felt a little bit dejavu with how we were first met.

"How do you know I am there?" I asked him once I was on the field.

"I will always find you." He winked and smiled his otherworldly smile at me. Of course I blushed uncontrollably.

"Stop teasing me. Here I am with my sneakers. What's up with that?"

"We're going to have a batting practice." He said while arranging the ball machine at the front of the batting cage on the side of the field.

I laughed thinking he was kidding. Me? Batting practice? Big no.

"Why you laugh? Come on, take this bat, and stand there." He called me on.

"What?! You're not kidding? I can't and I won't."

"Come on, humor me. This is the last time. I want you to experience that feeling I've told you about."

"The exhilaration. The freedom." He nodded. I reluctantly went to the batting cage and took the bat he offered me.

"Don't laugh at me. I know I'm going to be so bad." He smiled and took my bag with him after put a helmet on my head. He grabbed my shoulders and looked me in the eyes.

"Scout's honor. Just try to concentrate on the ball, okay? And give me your best swing. I'll be behind the ball machine."

I took my stance. Oh my god, I was embarrassed already. This would end badly.

Swing after swing. Ball after ball. Nothing. Nothing worked. I was frustrated but I was not one to give up a challenge.

Until one ball. Be it a luck, or I finally got the hang of it, I smashed the ball and it went flying. So so far I didn't know where it ended up. I stood there, stunned, tried to track the ball. Before I looked at him. And I screamed. And I ran to him. Feeling so free and liberated.

He caught me mid air and we hugged. For a long time.

"How is it?"

"Best feeling ever."

***