Inevitable

Yoon Se Ri

I waited for Seo Dan and Gu Seung Jun at the front of the stadium. I called her right away last night after arriving at home.

Oh my god. Last night. My heart still remembered the way he hugged me tightly and kept doing somersault in my chest. The way I wanted to kiss him after.

I just knew that I couldn't stop whatever happened between us. At this point, it's inevitable. So I planned on telling him that we could continue our meeting in a different setting. After the game.

I'd successfully submitted my article which titled 'Field of Dreams' this afternoon. I honestly thought it was one of the best article I'd ever written.

I wrote about how he fell in love with baseball, and how baseball changing him and opening many opportunities for him, and how baseball became his platform to freely expressed himself and how baseball became his dreams. I complimented it with some interviews with his teammates and coaches, about how he was off the field, how their impression of him, what's the most impressive thing about him. All of them came back with one word: poise. He never seemed rattled even when they were behind in the game. It was almost like he willed them to victory. A silent leader. But the strongest voice in the locker room.

He might think that he didn't have many people around. But the fact was.. every single one of his teammates was looking up to him. They would follow him anywhere.

I was so head over heels in love with this guy. Unexpectedly. But wholeheartedly.

***

The game was in the bottom of 9th inning when it was his turn to bat. Our school was behind 2-0. So this could be the last chance to score. It was 2 on, 2 outs. The runner was in the first and third base. Wow, looked at me, spitting out baseball terms. I sat at the same seat everytime I went to the field.

The word poise was really suitable when you looked at him at the batter box. Laser focus on the pitcher and the pitching. His stat line tonight was good, he was 2 for 3 with a single and a double, but they couldn't score.

1st and 2nd pitches were strikes and so it really came down to the last strike. The pitcher threw his pitch..

Ri Jeong Hyeok swung his bat..

"CRACK!!"

And fly went the ball for a moonshot and a walk off home run for the home team.

Before he circled the base, he found me at the crowd and pointed his finger at me.

This win was for me.

***

His teammates all hugged him, still high on the win. Our school magazine reporter came down on the field to interview him.

"What a game, Ri Jeong Hyeok-ssi."

"Thank you. And thank you for all of you who came watch us."

"Describe the last at bat."

"Ah.. I.. well I didn't think actually. I just kind of react to the pitch. I felt I saw the ball clearly and just swing. Luck's on our side tonight."

"I saw you pointed to the seat right after the moonshot. Care to explain?" OH. MY. GOD. He just really asked him THAT?!

Seo Dan and Gu Seung Jun couldn't stop screaming next to me hearing the question. Ri Jeong Hyeok inhaled deeply. Oh, the poor guy. But what came out of his mouth was something I never thought would come out of the guy.

"She's my lucky angel. I competed with her by my side tonight. Well, not my side. By my feet actually." He proceeded to took his left shoe off and brought it to the camera.

UNBELIEVABLE. HE HAD MY FACE AND MY NAME DRAWN INTO HIS CLEAT.

"I'll write your name in the bottom of my shoes, just so you know, I'm yours to keep, Yoon Se Ri."

***