The Dreams

Ri Jeong Hyeok

This girl owned me. She wanted to end our meeting here? Not. A. Chance.

The way her eyes cracked into the loveliest eye smile I'd ever seen after that moonshot was going to be in my dreams tonight. The way she hugged me? Best feeling ever. I resisted so hard not to kiss her then and there.

"That's what I'm chasing on the field. That feeling. The freedom it gives me to be who I am. The hope it gives me for the future."

She nodded and I knew she believed it.

"You're going to get it. I just know. You're going to get what you're dream of. You plan to go to MLB?"

"Someday, for sure. I'm dreaming another thing right now." I stared at her intensely.

"Yeah. Okay. Sure." She's shifted awkwardly in her seat.

"We have  the first game of the season here, tomorrow. Please come. Bring your friends."

"Okay, I'll be here. Thank you for all the knowledge and all the private things you shared to me. I promise I will write something great." She stood up and prepared to leave.

"Wait for me, it's late. I'll walk you home." I didn't give her a chance to refuse and proceeded to clean myself up.

I walked her home and again reminded her that we have a game tomorrow. I didn't tell her but I'd prepared something to show her at the game.

"Promise, that's the least I could do after taking up so much of your time. I'll be there after I submit my article. The deadline is at noon."

"Okay, good night, Yoon Se Ri."

***

To say I was nervous was an understatement. I never felt like this before the game.

"Come on, Ri Jeong Hyeok! Concentrate! Just think about the game. Game first then Yoon Se Ri."

"Yoon Se Ri? So that's true? You dating her?" His teammate 2nd baseman Park Kwang Beom asked from his locker next to his. Ri Jeong Hyeok looked up and felt his face blushed. He cleared his throat.

"You heard it? Ugh. Not dating her as of this moment. Really, that's why I avoided girls in general. This feeling it's just.. overwhelming." Kwang Beom pat him in the back. "But it's so rewarding. Try to put her as your motivation. You wanna look good on the field. You wanna win. And you wanna share that feeling with her. I think it's beautiful."

Jeong Hyeok looked at his friend strange and sighed. "How come you know so much? I just can't stop thinking about her. I'm afraid it'll ruin my concentration. But I can't seem to do anything about it."

"Nah.. you'll be alright. You'll forget about her anyway during the game. Cancel the noise, remember? You have new cleat?" Kwang Beom  pointed to my feet.

"Ah.. er.. I might have asked my sponsor to design something for me for tonight. For after the game."

Kwang Beom grinned. "Good for you, my friend. Game first, then go get your girl."