Chapter 2: The New World

(Warning: Any images used within this fanfiction are not my own work, except for the character sheets of my OCs, Lord Hasutā no Kokoro and Arachnias. )

(Warning: I do NOT own Overlord or the characters, the only characters I own are Hasutā no Kokoro and Arachnias. I recommend watching the anime and reading the light novels in order to understand the events that may change within this story.)

[......]
= Spells/Skills/Items

[......] = Notification/Information

{......} = Message spell

(......) = A shift in time

"......" = Characters talking

Text =
Character in deep thought/monologue

As the two players were waiting for the assured shutdown of YGGDRASIL's servers, they instead found themselves remaining within the large throne room of their guild base. With great uncertainty, they both opened their eyes and leisurely began to search the room for any indication as to what happened, but found nothing that could encourage any uplifting modesty within their hearts.

After a few moments of silence, both Hasutā and Momonga shifted their gaze upon the NPCs of Nazarick, mainly the Pleiades, as they noticed a look of shock and horror upon their delicate faces. Each battle maid of the Pleiades seemed to tremble at the mere sight of the two players, and outwardly attempted to open their mouths in, what seemed like, a desperate attempt to answer their lords' frightful stares. However, their attempts to accumulate enough courage to confront their masters proved pointless as they continued to ogle the two players with great dismay.

This unorthodox reaction from the NPCs only fuelled the two players' complete lack of understanding and tranquillity as they both slowly shifted their gaze towards each other, their fragile minds trapped in a moment of utter turmoil; the NPCs of their dearest friends were acting extremely bizarre, and they couldn't discover the source of this abnormal behaviour.

Hasutā: "Momonga!?...What!?...How!?..."

In a moment of monumental panic, Hasutā enquired Momonga as he appeared to be awestruck at the unique declaration that formed upon the Pleiades' faces, and could not comprehend the sudden advancements within the NPC's movements and expressions; they almost seemed like real people.

Momonga: "Honestly, I'm not too sure myself..."

It was abundantly clear that neither Momonga or Hasutā had any idea as to what they were currently experiencing, but they continued to devise different ways to discover what was going on with the game. As they continued, both players suddenly heard a soft, gentle voice call out to them, originating directly from their right. However, as they looked with mild curiosity, they were suddenly astonished to find the holder of the mysterious voice.

Albedo: "M-my lords, is there s-something w-wrong?"

Before them kneeled Albedo, who had lifted her head in response to Hasutā's sudden outcry from before, and she was now conversing with both players as though she was a real person. This made Hasutā feel extremely uncomfortable as he continued to stare at the quaking succubus.

Hasutā: "....N-no Albedo, everything is fine."

Hasutā attempted to offer the succubus a reassuring nod, but it seemed fruitless as she continued to shake out of, what seemed to be, a small inkling of fear. Hasutā began to wonder if maybe their fear originated from something he did, until he remembered his sudden screech from earlier when the servers didn't shut down: