Chapter 1

The meadow was calm with all the rabbits around her, eating quietly and happily. She sat in the far edge taking in the view, her nose shivered slightly getting a hint of a strange smell.
        "Ailith," A voice said from behind her. As she turned she saw the speckled fur of her older brother.
        "What is it Holly." She said it not as a question, but as a statement.
        "Can't I just speak to my sister in peace." he spoke sitting down next to her.
        She chuckled, "Yes, but if only my brother wasn't blind as to let me join the Owsla, then I could perhaps speak with him."
        "Oh, stop it." He gave her a genuine look of apology. "You know the rules, there are no does aloud."
        "Yet Pumpkin joined."
        "Enough Ailith." He said firmly. "Threarah would not be pleased by your lack of respect towards our protectors."
        She gave him a cold stare. " You taught me everything I know Holly, if anyone should be an officer in the Owsla it should be me."
        "I understand where you're coming from, I do." He said quickly as she turned her head away from him.
        "What do you expect me to do Holly, just roam around these meadows, talking to the other does and taking care of kits?" She raised an eyebrow at him. "I want more Holly, I don't want to be a wife, I want to be a part of something bigger than myself."
        This made him quiet for a few moments. He turned around and started to hop away slowly, "I'll be in the east meadow tonight, if you want to join me."
        Ailith didn't respond to his offer, she just looked back at the relaxed does taking in the air. She hated all these rules, whenever she would question an action of her superiors they would say something about Frith and the rules he set. That wasn't true though, she believed in Frith, all the stories the story teller had told her when she was just a kit. But something told her the only reason they would say those things was to control them. Knowledge is Power she remembered Holly told her once, she hadn't noticed she had left the small hill. But she was now hopping about, looking for something to do.
        When she faced her head forward she met the eyes of a slightly bigger rabbit than her, his eyes were a sharp emerald green, his fur was slightly red, at the crook of his neck. And next to him, stood a very small rabbit. They looked exactly like each other, except for the smaller one, that had two different colored eyes. One blue and one brown.
        She studied them with her storm gray eyes, she could feel the sense of anxiety of the rabbits from her stare.
        "Oh, hello."
        "Hello." She said taking a seat in front of them.
        "Aren't you Holly's sister." The bigger rabbit spoke kindly and with interest.
        She chuckled lightly and lifted her paw to lick it, "I really wish that wasn't the only thing that represents my name."
        The bigger rabbit laughed a little as well. "What is your name?" he voice sparked with curiosity.
        "Ailith," She tilted her ears towards the new rabbit.
        "That's a pretty name." He spoke honestly with a smile.
        "Thank you."
        "I'm Hazel, and this is my brother, Fiver." The small rabbit behind Hazel muttered a barely audible hello.
        "It's nice to meet you, Hazel and Fiver." Something told her she should stick around with these rabbits. Strange, but she wouldn't let the moment pass up.
        "Would you like to eat with me, I know a few good places."
        Hazel looked at his brother, he nodded shyly.
        "Alright, lead the way." They made their way towards one of her favorite spots, filled with dandelions and clovers.
        "Look at all this." Fiver finally spoke, and with a dreamy expression on his face.
        He dove in quickly and stuffed as much clover as fast as he could. She laughed at the sight. Hazel joined her briefly before changing to a melancholy face.
        "Something wrong?" She asked.
        "Oh, no, no. Thank you for this." He gestured his head to the food.
        "Please, I know when someone is lying." She stated simply.
        Hazel sighed, "We don't really have opportunities like this, especially with kind rabbits such as yourself." He added quickly.
        "And why is that."
        "You see, it's hard to explain," He gave her an apologetic look.
        "Well go on, I have all day." He visibly relaxed at her words.
        "Hey!" They turned to find two captains walking towards them. "What are you doing here? This is a private Owsla area."
        She saw Pumpkin, the plump, soft rabbit next to him. This was going to be fun.
        "Yes we came here-" She started but was cut off.
        "Under whose authority, doe."
        Anger bubbled inside her, she had a name. She closed her eyes and counted to 5.
        "Under mine." She heard a small gasp behind her.
        "What did you say?" He took a step near her and stood up taller. He was a head taller than her, but she didn't mind that the least.
        "I said under my orders, good nettle, are you deaf?"
        "Watch it doe before I strike you where you stand." He threatened.
        "I don't think you want to do that," She spoke as she waved him off. "You see, if you ask Pumpkin over here, he'll tell you to stand down. From our little, ah what would you say," She narrowed her eyes to the Captain, causing him to shift with discomfort. "Incident."
        "That's enough from you." He lunged towards her, she dodged out of the way quickly and leapt on top of him, holding him down.
        She raised her paw menacingly, "What did you want to say to me?" she asked, fluttering her eyelashes.
        "N-nothing, lets go Pumpkin." She hopped off him and waved as they jogged away quickly.
        "That was, amazing!" Fiver said running into her.
        "Some might say a little reckless," Hazel spoke, eyeing her carefully.
        "Oh please no,  you're starting to sound like my brother." They all laughed at the comment. Hazel and her spoke until Fiver was full.
        "Would you like to come with us to see the sunset?" He asked hopefully.
        "I would like that." She hopped after them taking in the last drops of sunlight until morning. They had finally reached a hill, where the sunlight draped the hills with an orange and red color.
        "Beautiful." Hazel said, scooting next to her just a smidge. She gave him a look in the corner of her eye, but let him do so. Just then she heard ragged breaths coming from Fiver.
        "T-The land, it's filled with blood." His eyes were wide, his chest heaving as though he ran miles and miles.
        "Fiver?" Hazel asked with a concerned look on his face.
        "Is he alright?" She took a step closer towards him. Hazel held his paw out, and leaned next to his brother.
        "Mate, it's just the sunset." She said briefly, turning to face him.
        He closed his eyes, then started to take calm and steady breaths, he leaned on Hazel more now. Hazel's eyes looked relieved at the moment, Fiver finally opened his eyes and took one more deep breath.
        "Sorry about that, I just," He paused. "I just was scared for a moment." He looked ashamed of himself, freaking out in front of a doe would do that to you.
        "Don't be sorry, I don't think there's a time when anyone doesn't get scared sometimes." She smiled warmly at him.
        "Even you?" He wondered, his big eyes focused on her.
        "Even me."
        After the conversation they had after the strange incident, they walked back to the burrows for the night. The stars started to show, she kept looking up at them, she wanted to be like one of them. Her burrow was on the other side of the clearing, so she bid her two new friends a good night.
        "Thank you for the sunset." She spoke quietly, not wanting to wake anybody up.
        "Thank you for the food." She gave him a small smirk.
        "Dinner and a show." He chuckled at her comment.
        "Have a good night, Ailith."
        He using her name for the first time made her feel warm inside, she gave him a curt nod before running to her burrow. But something again stopped her, she sat down and stayed there, looking up at the brightly shown stars. If only she had the opportunity to be like one of them. She would take nothing and leave everything behind here in Sandleford.
        Everything? A little voice said in her head.
        Yes, she responded sure of herself.
        Even Holly?
        Her stomach lurched at the thought of leaving him. But it was all right, she reassured herself. He could take care of himself.
        He promised he would care for you. He did all of this to protect you, and you return the favor by leaving him. Breaking him. You're the only family he has left.
        Stop it, she told herself sternly. She wanted sleep to take her, to take all of the thoughts away. Make everything go away right now. Finally she was swept into the darkness of sleep.