Chapter 9

Hello everyone. Sorry if it's rushed, I just wanted to get it done. Thanks for the comments, sorry for the wait, school has just been really crazy! I will be doing the half of the farm episode in this chapter, so bare with me. Anyways, enjoy!! Oh also if people have written or started writing stories about Watership down PLEASE share them with me. I love to read them all. And out your story isn't getting a lot of views I would totally be happy to post it on these pages!!!! Not that you guys can't do these things by your selves because y'all are amazing writers, I just want to help!!! Leave comments if you want to take up the offer!!!!! Byyyyeeeee!!

Ailith sat in her burrow, as much as she wanted to sleep, it wouldn't come. She was alone, Bigwig hadn't come in to join her. Or should she have said, Thlayli? She was indeed surprised that he had told her his private name? Ailith had a lot of questions in her head about why he had told her, and why he kept his old name a secret.
She just took a deep breath and closed her eyes, she felt the light of the moon and stars lighting the burrow softly. She felt it blocked by a tall figure, she looked up, hoping that it was Big- Thlayli. She squinted her eyes, strained by the darkness, but it was Holly.
"Hello." He said, taking a step towards her.
"Hey," She said, laying her head back down on her paws.
"I hear you're going to the farm tomorrow." He took a seat next to her, his eyes traced over her face noticing her eyes grew heavier the more they stayed in silence.
"Yes," Ailith spoke softly.
"I don't think-"
"Please don't finish that sentence Holly." She was exasperated by all of the overprotective from these bucks. Yes, it was sweet, but highly annoying. "I'll fight if I have to."
"That's what I'm afraid of." Holly eyes broke away from hers.
"Why are you afraid?" He didn't respond to her question. "What aren't you telling me?" Holly focused his eyes to hers.
"I don't want you near those humans, that's all."
Her face alleviated at his words, but something sat uneasy. There was something he wasn't telling her, she was now very sure of that, when Hazel talked about humans he got so anxious and went Thran at times.
"I promise, we won't." He gave her a weak smile and licked the side of her face. She returned the lick with a small nudge. She cozied up against his side, his was bigger than she was, his warmth finally got her eyes to drift off and close into the relaxing darkness.
She woke up with Holly next to her, his nose shivered ever so slightly in his dream. Ailith stretched her long legs hearing a few cracks from her back, she shook her head so she could be more awake.
She hopped out of the burrow seeing that the bucks were all waiting for her. She rolled her eyes and walked over ot them, "Could've woken me up."
"Well we didn't want to interrupt your beauty sleep." Thlyali smirked.
"I don't think anyone looks back on their life and says they had enough sleep." She itched the back of her head with her foot. Thlyali chuckled, Fiver looked like he was about to go to war. His foot tapped the soft ground gently, "Fiver," His head snapped to face her.
"You alright?"
"Yeah, just kind of nervous."
"Don't worry, everything will be fine." She gave him a genuine smile. "You have Thlyali and me."
Thlyali took a deep breath and looked at her. She was using his name, it sounded so nice coming from her, her perfect accent matched the pronunciation.
"We should probably get going if we want to make it to the down before dark." Hazel said, he took the lead and Fiver followed.
"Hey," Ailith stopped Thlyali with a paw. "So what do I call you?"
His face became a little shielded. "Does it matter?" He snapped.
Ailith's face showed little surprise but her heart started to ache again, "It does to me."
He shook his head and hopped after Hazel and Fiver. What a strange rabbit she thought to herself, first he was impulsive, then kind and sweet, then became even more secretive with her? Was that what he wanted her to think, that he was a rabbit of very little emotions and insensitive?
She didn't even know what to call him, so much for figuring things out. The three bucks and one doe walked along the fields leading to the human warren, she took a deep breath into her lungs. They filled with the scents of animals, flowers and new things. She sniffed deeper into the air, noticing the smell of faint rabbits. Ailith shrugged the idea off and trotted beside Thlyali, he briefly looked over at her before returning his gaze to the path in front of him.
Good Frith, he thought, why can't I get anything right. His mind was telling him to ignore the urge he had to turn towards her and speak, but his heart begged him to go after her and try to fix things. He had absolutely no idea what to do, usually does weren't this complex. Give them a compliment, ask them out for some Flayrah, and done, the knot was tied. But with Ailith, that was a whole other story. He didn't know how to act around her, with her quick changing personalities, sarcastic, tough, kind. He really couldn't keep track of it all.
The rough ground had hardened and dried from the heavy storms and proceeded to crack along the way due to the hot sun. Ailith kept her eyes low, not wanting anything to do with the buck traveling next to her, Ailith, she thought, get him out of your head and stay focused. She nodded to herself, yes, this would be a great distraction. The road led on curving and making an unexpected Ailith trip over a small bump. Thlyali caught her with a swift motion, he held her there for a moment, noticing her eyes doing everything in her power to avoid his. He lifted her to her feet and lowered his head at the slight awkwardness.
"Thank you." She said looking up at him with a strenuous smile.
"Erm, your welcome." He coughed slightly. They turned away from each other, not knowing what in the Prince of a Thousand enemies to do.
Ailith walked off towards the leading bucks, Hazel and Fiver. They had finally made it to the end of the road, across a small field laid the farm. As they crossed the small field she saw around her that the crops had died earlier, the withering leaves sagged from their bending stems with fatigue. She gave them a halfhearted sniff and followed Hazel and Fiver carefully as the series of tall structures came into view, getting larger and larger by the slow paced seconds.
The tall structures of the farm came into view, she saw the gate that blocked the road earlier was now wide open, begging them to enter. They rounded a brick corner that was decorated with welcoming sunflowers and vines. Ailith studied her new surroundings and saw a see through glass building of some sorts, it looked as if it led to the house itself in some way. She sniffed the air carefully, taking her time to make sure there wasn't any Elil, she smelled something large and familiar, but couldn't quite get her paw on it.
They stayed close to each other as Hazel spoke quietly. "Remember, any sign of humans and we leave immediately."
Ailith nodded, they followed Hazel a little ways until he stopped abruptly and let a small gasp escape from his lips.
"What is it?" Ailith whispered with urgency. Hazel shook his head and backed up for her to see. She made her way cautiously towards the end of the wall and saw what he was so spooked about. A large dog. Its teeth bared, his lips slobbered with its white saliva. She shivered looking at the beast, it laid on its back and growled at the dream it was having, its arms moved in a rhythmic motion, indicating it was running. It growled again, she saw its forehead crinkle slightly but then it relaxed again.
"That's great." She mumbled turning back to the bucks.
"It's asleep. Which means we don't have much time." Thlyali nodded. "Let's just do this quickly." She risked another glance at the sheltered dog, its eyes were still closed, thank Frith.
They headed towards the opened doored barn filled with metal objects that looked essentially dangerous with their sharp and rusted edges. She stopped in the middle of the way there to see Fiver standing right in front of the dog, whispering to himself. She felt Thlyali behind her, "Fiver." He hissed.
Fiver then looked over and started running in their direction. She trotted next to him as they approached the intimidating barn, "What was that about?"
"I," He paused. "I think that has something to do with my visions."
"You had another vision?" Ailith's mind raced. Why? What did it mean? When had he received it? Her eyes traced the barn ahead of them, she knowingly knew that they couldn't speak of this now. "Talk to me later."
He nodded slowly and walked closely behind her, the rabbits hopped carefully through the new objects that looked like toture devices. She sniffed the nearest one and got hints of corn and wheat. But at the same time metal smells overwhelmed her nose, stinging and making it as if her nose was breathing in fire. She scratched her sensitive nose with her dirty paw.
They made it out of the human made objects and saw two small hutches laying on top of one another, sitting on a high desk. The wood was old and worn due to the elements, straw poked out of the wires showing its golden yellow color in the sunlight. Wire. She shivered at the last encounter with the scary metal, all that came to mind was Thlyali lying on the ground not breathing. She stifled a sigh and started to look around again.
"I don't know why you would want that blasted thing." A voice rang out of the building next to them. Ailith jumped, she had never really even heard a human's voice before, they sounded, so much like them in a way.
"It works more than...." The humans voices faded as they left the room, she looked over at Hazel, his eyes glued to the window in front of them.
"Bigwig and Ailith, keep watch." Hazel said turning to them briefly before walking towards the desk, he hopped gracefully on the open drawers and watched his moves carefully, not wanting to stir any more suspicion from the humans.
Ailith turned away from Hazel climbing the shelves and plopped herself down near Thlyali. She listened intently around her, hearing a distance bird, and small crickets chirping in the nearby field. Ailith stood next to the large buck relaxing a little, for her was here if there was any trouble. They didn't even look at each other, their focus remained on freeing the trapped does. She sniffed the air once again, sensing no new signs of threat. Ailith snuck a small glance to see Thlyali watching the hutch carefully. Guess she knew where his mind was now. He had forgotten about her and wanting the new does. Typical. Typical member of the Owsla, making a doe want you and then leaving her. The familiar feeling of anger and irritation rose in her chest, but made a little jealousy as well?
"Hello?" She heard Hazel whisper.
She heard a little gasp escape the hutch, she turned around to see a very small doe, with beautiful patterning fur and crisp blue eyes. Ailith turned away again, she got up and paced around the entrance of the barn. She couldn't get the feelings off of her, it was as if a cloud was above her, raining down on her with all these possibilities.
What if Thlyali didn't even care for you? What if he made you feel something for nothing? She stopped, Ailith took a deep breath into her lungs. You must focus. She started to calm down in her mind, then returned to her little post next to Thlyali.
"Listen," A new voice spoke. "You need to be quick, the humans are inside but sometimes they come out around this time to gather wood for the fire."
"You hear that?" Hazel said to the rabbits beneath them. "Stay sharp."
"I'm always sharp Hazel," Thlyali's irritated voice echoed through the barn. "Bigwig doesn't get distracted."
Ailith rolled her eyes, "Will do." She stood up again, feeling the need to. She looked around at the barn. Nothing seemed off order, she just kept pacing back and forth again. Ailith looked up to see Hazel and Fiver chewing on the soft bands that connected the door of the hutch with the box itself.
A loud crashing noise forced Ailith to rip her eyes away from the strange little door attached to the larger door, it swung back and forth slowly making a small creaking noise.
"Tom! For goodness sake!" A femine voice shouted from the human house.
"Good...." The voices started to fade once again as they moved off and away.
She took a step towards the commotion and sniffed the air, nothing was happening, anxiousness from all of the rabbits from the new noise. Thlyali stepped in front of her and sniffed the air as well, then turned to face Hazel.
"Go on, nothing there." He jerked his head for Hazel to keep working.
"Hello, Who are you?" The hutch rabbit asked with a curious look. She nodded towards Ailith, sensing her sudden confusion.
"Ailith." She gave her a curt nod before turning around again.
"And you?" The blue eyed rabbit inquired towards Thlyali.
"I'm Bigwig, good to meet you." He gave her a little smile. A pang of anger hit her hard in the stomach again, but this time she wanted to kick Thlyali.
She gave a frustrated sigh and turned around. Ailith noticed something new in the air. It smelled like wood and blood for some reason.
"Everything alright Ailith?"
"Perfect." She said through gritted teeth. Thlyali sat next to her and looked at her straight in the eye.
"You're sure?" He pressed with a concerned look.
She turned her head with an angry look in her eye, "Why don't you talk to the hutch rabbit." Ailith turned away from him and mumbled. "That's all you seem to like."
"What was that?" Thlyali asked following her stare.
"Nothing." She lashed back to face him.
"Ailith."
"What."
"What's the matter?"
"Nothing."
"Ailith."
"Thlyali."
They both paused, she liked when he wasn't sure of himself. It meant that he had flaws too, just like her. Ailith shook her head, the jealousy started to fade away when he looked at her, she saw the impatience in his eyes. His paws became extremely fidgety.
"You are very confusing." He said looking at her with an annoyed look in his eye.
Ailith scowled, "At least I'm not two faced." She was angry, she felt like there was a huge fireball in her chest and that it was blowing up by the second. Ailith was mad at Thlyali, he wanted that damn hutch rabbit after all they had been through.
"What are you talking about?" Thlyali's voice started to rise.
"Really?" Her face started to darken. "You seriously don't understand anything do you?"
"You calling me stupid?" His eyes narrowed at her, he felt like he could just smack her into the wall. He really did want to at the moment, why was she acting like this? His thoughts were then clouded with impulse and anger at the moment. He didn't care what was wrong with Ailith, all he was now focused on was firing back and not letting a doe treat him like this. He looked back around, Hazel and Fiver had turned in their direction, even the does gazes were upon them. Ailith's anger filled voice cut through the brief silence.
"Is it that hard to figure out?" Her voice was strained and filled with anger. Fueled by jealousy. As soon as she had said it she regretted it, but that was soon after she didn't. With the looks of pure hatred they panted heavily. Just then a large creature with auburn and striped fur lunged towards Thlyali and knocked him to the ground. She didn't have much time to comprehend what was happening, it turned to her with piercing green eyes, it hissed at her sudden movement to attack it.
She hopped near it and hit it's nose with her two now bloody front paws. The cat thrashed backwards, taking in the sight of the blood slowly dripping down its nose. It's eyes narrowed and it attacked Ailith again, this time she dodged to the side and turned to kick it right in the side. The cat quickly whirled around, to see Ailith through it's dilated pupils, it hissed again, hopping up on a small chair. She risked a glance at Thlyali where he was getting up from the tremendous attack from the creature.
The cat took this as an opportunity to take Ailith down, it lept gracefully next to her with the silent feet Frith had given its kind and pinned her to the ground. She thrashed and struggled as she started to feel the compressing weight of the cat on her chest. She started to gasp for breath mindlessly, not being able to see anything at the moment. Ailith kicked the cats stomach as hard as she could, the creature wavered slightly, but did not budge.
The cat raised it's talon shown claw and thrust it over and over again into Ailith's now begging for mercy body. The familiar feeling of pain swept over her again, a sharp feeling bent at her weakening will. she felt the cat's teeth on her vulnerable neck, ripping into the flesh, she could feel the warm liquid on her skin, staining her fur.
Then the pressure was released somehow, she felt something hop over her, and opened her weak eyes to see Thlyali over her body, cussing at the hissing creature.
"You gargoyle, stay away from my doe!" He lunged at the creature and started pattering it in the face again and again. Causing it to run from him and hop onto a small mechanical device. It started after the two bucks trying to break the anxious does free.
"Fiver," She croaked, but it was just enough to warn Fiver, he gasped and hopped away from it, getting several shouts of alarm. But she didn't follow Fiver as he ran away, she was weak, her legs wobbled slightly as she rose with no help. But soon after she started to walk after the running bucks she felt Thlyali's warm fur on hers.
"Come on," His voice was gruff and focused. She nodded slowly, half of her weight was taken off her legs and she could walk. She heard the struggled grunts of her companion beside her, she saw up ahead still that the cat was still chasing Hazel and Fiver. If the cat saw them they would have no chance on making it out alive.
"There." She squeaked out, she halfheartedly pointed to a far off tree that led thet long way around the farm and to the down. Thlyali was smart enough to notice her quick thinking, he nodded and started to trot softly along her heaving body. They passed underneath the small fence where Ailith fell to the ground, she muttered a low damn it and tried to get up again.
"Let me help you." Thlyali spoke, lifting her up and taking her to a large tree, covered with scattered bushes. He laid her down near the trunk where she felt the scratchy and rough bark blend against her skin. She gave a long sigh and looked up at Thlyali.
"Thank you."
His head turned back, only letting her see the side of his solemn face. "Get some rest, at Frith down we find Hazel and Fiver."

An hour had passed with complete silence, Thlyali didn't even so much as give her any look of consideration that she had hoped for in their time alone. He paced around the tree, making sure that the stupid cat was really gone. In the time of awkward silence, Ailith had already started to clean her fresh and tender wounds. She licked them with a gentle tongue and then after wiped her mouth on the grass. At one time Thlyali and Ailith had almost started to talk to each other, but than they shielded themselves away from each other in that moment.
"Thlyali?" Ailith spoke quietly. The sun had started to set, making the sky feel so many emotions. The night clashed with the day causing them to bargain for a purple and pink sky, she say the sun dip deeper and farther away from them both, but the moon slowly climbed up the clouded sky.
He turned to face her with an expressionless face. "What is it?"
She paused for a moment, hearing his harsh and hurtful tone, "I-I'm sorry." Ailith looked down at her feet with shame. The guilt she felt was almost unbearable, the fight they had had, and the way he helped her after everything she had said.
It pained Thlyali the way she had said those little words. Sure, they did have a fight, but was it really all of her fault that they were in this situation in the first place?
He took a deep breath, and released the waiting air. "Look," He made his way towards her and took a seat next to her shaking body. "You don't need to be."
"Yes, I do. I'm sorry I said those things, it wasn't my place. A-and if you want to be with Clover-" He cut her off with his own surprisingly calm voice.
"No," He looked at her straight in the eye. "I want you."
Ailith's eyes became a little wider as he said that. He wanted her. She wanted him. It was like it was meant to be. "I'm sorry as well." He said, and didn't speak again. He nuzzled her forehead with his, as he pulled away for a brief moment she saw his fur was tousled and messy. She chuckled and brought herself back into his safe and warm fur.
They both sat there, consumed by each other's love and presence, they didn't speak of the past anymore. Because they didn't need to, they understood each other, they trusted one another, with their lives. Ailith loved this moment with Thlyali, she really did want this to last forever and ever. They pushed themselves closer to each other at that moment and started to drift off.
"Did you say that I was your doe when the cat attacked me?" Ailith smirked in Thlyali's chest.
He looked down at her with such amazing and love, "Problem with that?" He said with a playful smile.
"Never." They both smiled at each other and touched foreheads once again, at that moment something hit her like a rock to the stomach. At that moment she felt something warm brewing in her chest. Something that felt right, it came and went when she was distance with Thlyali and when she was close to him. At that moment, she knew what she felt towards him. Ailith thought in her mind so happily.
I love you Thlyali.

*Starts crying in corner*

Thanks guys!