Chapter 6

Hello everyone.
I will be trying to post chapters every other night, with school and sports there's very little time. So yeah, I am planning this weekend to post maybe two more chapters. So stay tuned every one!!!!! Thanks again for reading my story!!!!! Any suggestions please say things in the chat!!!❤️
Now good bye.

Her mind blurred slightly, how? Why?
        "Bigwig," She whispered in horror. She shook her head and regained herself, she bolted to the door and didn't wait for anyone.
        Cowslip stepped in front of her, blocking the entrance. "No one leaves. Frith has decided that it is Bigwig's turn."
        That was it, something snapped in her. Something that she had been holding in for a long time. "You corrupt rabbit!" She yelled at him, he flinched as she let her anger out on him.
        "Let them leave Cowslip!" A shout came from the back of the room.
        "Move or I will have to drag your dead body out of the way!" She shouted at him menacingly. She didn't wait for his answer, she shoved him with her shoulder to the side of the tunnel and ran. She smelt her friends not too far away, he heard the struggling gasps of Bigwig, and the scared yells of Hazel. She ran through the bushes and burst out through the small area to see  her friends. What she saw made her stomach turn, Bigwig was indeed stuck in a trap, the shining wire of the snare shone brightly in the sun and around Bigwig's neck. Hazel looked absolutely terrified and had no idea what he was supposed to do.
        "What do we do, Ailith? What did Holly teach you?" Hazel begged for an answer. Her mind was racing, this is what Holly trained her to do. To protect her friends. She looked for an answer. She closed her eyes, then her mind was quiet and focused on one thing. Getting Bigwig out of that damn snare.
        "Dig the pole out right now." She said, Hazel nodded and started digging quickly. His paws moved around the base of it. The others yelled at Bigwig to stop moving.
        "Bigwig, stop making it worse."
        "Calm down."  His instinct to keep struggling was too strong, he started to thrash as the wire tightened around his neck.
        "Bigwig." She said, stepping in front of him. "Listen to me, stop pulling. You're making it worse." He didn't listen, his eyes were wild and desperate to be free. He thrashed some more as her heartbeat quickened. You idiotic rabbit! She thought.
        Fiver now moved to bite the pole and try to break it.
        "Now push the top!" Hazel said pushing the pole with Dandelion. She needed to do something, the gasps of Bigwig were now getting fainter and weaker. She pushed Bigwig back closer to the pole, he thrashed at her. The wire started to loosen as she moved him towards the pole, but he protested with big gulps of air and tried to get away from Ailith.
        He lifted himself up on his hind feet, as he came down he scratched Ailith's face. Pain shot through the left side of her body, as she hit the ground she saw that the pole was almost broken. Come on Ailith, she thought getting up, do something.
        "Damn it, Bigwig" She yelled ramming into him a second time, making him fall backwards, he thrashed at the motion and got back up and started moving again.
        "Quickly!" Everyone egged Fiver on.
        "Come on Fiver." Hazel shouted looking in between him and Bigwig.
        "Almost there, you can do it!" Bluebell encouraged.
        Just then the pole broke and Bigwig lunged forward with a loud grunt. Ailith looked back to him, seeing him lying on the ground, not moving. She took a sharp inhale, as she moved towards him she could see the wire had dug in slightly to his fur, leaving a red ring around his neck.
        "Bigwig?" She asked, removing the wire.
        Blackberry walked up carefully and pressed his ear to his chest. As he pulled away, she saw the sadness fill his eyes. "I can't hear him breathing." He shook his head.
        "No." Her mind panicked, why was it him that had to go? Why couldn't she have gotten in a snare. They needed Bigwig, he knew more things about humans than she did. And worst of all, she never really did get to address what she had been feeling towards him.
        Her own heartbeat filled her ears as she looked at all the sorrowful faces around Bigwig's lifeless body. She saw their mouths moving, she knew what they were saying. A chant that has always been burned into her memory by Holly.
        "My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend has stopped running today." They chanted in unison.
        They were all in a small circle surrounding his body, she looked at him again, harder this time. And maybe by some miracle he would wake up, her eyes grew wet, but she wiped them away quickly not wanting any of the bucks to see. Most of them turned around, but her eyes were glued to his body. All of the scars that covered it, they told stories, stories that she would never get to know. She gave him one last look and turned away to see Fiver standing there, his mouth was bloody and scratched. He looked like he was about to have a tantrum, she shook her head and started moving until she heard the most beautiful sound in all her life.
        A loud, deep gasp. She turned to see the buck taking in the air.
        "Bigwig!" She exclaimed, running towards him. The others did the same.
        "Oh, I thought I had lost you brother." Hazel said, giving him a warm embrace. "Can you walk?"
        "I can try." He croaked. He looked at Ailith, her eyes were bright and happy. He gave her a small smile, but then frowned at the new wound that bled on her face.
        She noticed this, "It's nothing really, I'm just glad you're okay. Dumb rabbit." She murmured the last part.
        He rolled his eyes at the comment, she was just glad that he was okay. That was all that mattered to him. Ailith heard Blackberry explaining to Hazel what had happened at the warren and how Cowslip tried to stop them. Just then Ailith turned her ears to the direction of a rustling in the grass up ahead. She then saw a large, red doe hoped out, her ears facing down and her eyes drifting to them ever so slightly.
        "You have some nerve coming here." Bigwig took a small step forward, his voice strained.
        "Please, I didn't know that Cowslip would try to stop you. I would like to come with you, if you'll have me." She said quietly.
        "Yeah and why should we? Why don't you go on with your friends." Hawkbit glared at her.
        She flinched at his words, "I-I don't have any friends. Rabbits here don't like to make them if..." Her word fell as she slowly hopped away, getting the message. Ailith liked this rabbit, even though she had just met her. She wanted this doe to come with them, the more does better. She gave Hazel a little glance to see what he was thinking.
        "You can come with us." Hazel spoke, she turned around with a hopeful face, her ears now lifted. "But if we say hop, you hop. Understood?"
        She nodded quickly at his words, they all started to hop away.
        "Here lean on me more Bigwig." Ailith said, pulling him closer to her shoulder.
        "I don't need your help." He snapped at her, as he looked at her, she didn't seem fazed at all.
        "Alright then, if you fall behind it's not my fault." She shrugged and let go of him. He tested his strength, he was weak. And his head still spun, he noticed Ailith moniteried him slightly by staying closer to him as they walked up a small hill. They all started to walk at a normal pace, the sun grew higher in the sky, beating down on their moving backs.
        It had been almost two hours in complete silence until the new friend spoke up.
        "So, your name is Ailith, right?" The doe asked eagerly.
        "Yes," She said, turning to her and smiling.
        "Such a beautiful name, mine is Strawberry. Do you want to be friends?"
        "Of course, it's nice to meet you Strawberry." Ailith spoke looking up at the sun. They had enough time until it got dark to travel a few miles. She could tell that all of the rabbits were itching to find their new home, she was as well. But there were too many Eili at night to do that, she would have to speak with Hazel about it.
        Hazel kept looking behind him to see Ailith speaking to Strawberry, which was better than the alternative. He turned to face the small trail in front of him.
        "Something on your mind brother?" Fiver asked.
        "No, no." Hazel shook his head. Then he thought, Fiver was his brother. He could talk to him about anything. "Actually yes."
        "What is it?" Fiver said curiously.
        "Ailith," He stated simply, he could see that his brother's eyes had come to a quick realization.
        "Oh, I see." Fiver thought for a moment. "You feel-"
        "I don't know what I feel Fiver." He snapped, frustrated.
        "Seems like you do." He said looking back at the gorgeous doe. "If you feel a certain way towards her. Then maybe you should just tell her."
        Hazel thought about this for a moment. "And what if she doesn't feel the same way?"
        Fiver shrugged, "Than she's missing out on a great buck."
        "Thanks, brother." Hazel smiled at him. He just needed a moment alone with her, and then he would confess his feelings towards her. His mind skipped around to when they would get to the warren. Have kits, live a happy life with each other, but then his mind went to if she said what he tried to block out. No, it rang in his head. No, I don't feel that way towards you.
        He shook his head, hopefulness filled him inside.
"Hazel, can I speak with you for a moment?" Ailith looked at him.
"S-sure." He said. She stepped out of the trail area and turned around to face him.
        "I was thinking," She started. "That we shouldn't travel when Frith is down."
        "Alright,"
        "We are in new and uncharted territory here, we don't know where the Eili will be and we need to stay vigilant, so I think we should make some scrapes along those ridges over there." She nodded to a close enough area up ahead. "Then by morning we'll be able to make it to the down in time to scout out some of the surrounding areas."
        He thought about this, it would be better, they needed their numbers. And she was right, they were traveling through unknown territory, but best of all this gave him time to tell her something that was on his mind.
        "I agree, I'll tell the others. Good thinking." He nodded, and started hopping away.
        Ailith was glad she could be to some help, she hadn't done much with helping Bigwig. She saw the other rabbits were gathered around Hazel, she made her way up to them.
        "So, we can camp at those ridges tonight, in the morning we will reach the down." Hazel finished, getting a few nods from the rabbits. "If we keep a steady pace, we'll make it in time."
        "Good idea Hazel!" Bluebell shouted.
        "Brillant," Dandelion spoke. Hazel looked around at the rabbits that were praising him. Then  at Ailith, she shrugged and started walking.
        "It wasn't my idea, it was Ailith's." Hazel said, calming the shouts of the now excited rabbits.
        "Still brillant." Blackberry said catching up to the leading doe.
        They all did the same thing, the day began to grow dimer, the night showed on the east side of the horizon. The blue and gold clashed with light on either sides, she looked up to smell no Eili, maybe a fox scent but it was days old. She sensed the humidity had gone up meaning more rain was about, she sighed as her predictions were correct. Storm clouds rolled in, blessing them with tiny sprinkles. They walked about a mile or two longer until they had reached a good place to stop for the night. Her fur was drenched in the light rain, it hung low to the ground and it was as if she had more weight added to her as she walked.
        "Alright everyone." Hazel said loudly over the pitter patter of the rain. "Let's start digging." She nodded and attempted to dig in the thick and mushy ground. It was working but very slowly, as soon as she had finished she had herself a very sloppy scrape, Strawberry was helping Dandelion and Hawkbit that were bickering over who should take a break first, and Blackberry and Bluebell seemed just fine.
        Bigwig on the other hand had extreme difficulty with it. Ailith made her way towards him and started to dig beside him, they were silent, working side by side.
        When finally it was finished, it was a little bit bigger than she had planned to make it, but oh well. She started to move away when Bigwig laid a paw on hers, "Let me clean your wounds."
        She nodded, they hopped in together, getting a few looks their way. She saved it off though, she laid down, her head on her two paws facing Bigwig. He seemed a little anxious, but then returned her worried look with a tough one.
        "I'm fine." His gruff voice cut deep into her thoughts.
        "I can see that." She said, as he moved himself closer to her face, and started to lick the wound. It didn't hurt as bad as it did before, the rain had helped it severely. But she didn't tell that to Bigwig, it throbbed slightly, she could feel a small heart beat as Bigwigs tongue traced over it.
        He pulled away and sat next to her. "Thank you."
        "Your welcome." He spoke softly, even when he was whispering, she could feel the safety in his voice. How it made her feel like she would never be harmed or attacked ever again, she laid a paw on his and set her head down next to his. He slightly took this by surprise and laid his head on hers.
        Bigwig's heart was at ease, he was calm at that moment. Her smaller paw covered half of his, she was a fighter, he knew that, but he would like to see her in action. Her takdicts, what she was thinking. He really did want to speak with her at that moment but realized she was asleep from her even and slow breaths. He closed his eyes as well, only seeing her piercing gray eyes, he didn't find them intimidating any more but rather beautiful. And finally he was swept into the depths of sleep.
        Ailith was awoken by several sounds, birds chirping softly, a slight breeze and arguing. She looked next to her, Bigwig had gone. But in his place laid a small daisy, she smiled at it, the buck did know his flowers. She gave it a sniff, the smell filled her nose, the pollen, the little rain droplets made it smell fresh and the petals itself made her feel so bright.
        "Shut up!" The loud yell rang along the burrows. She trotted out of the burrow and saw Bluebell and Blackberry arguing on who knew what.
        "You literally can't stop talking, can you?" Blackberry moaned with frustration.
        "At least I'm not silent like you!" Bluebell fired back. She gave Hazel a confused look, he shrugged. Ailith took in the surroundings, they didn't look like they were about to fight, they just seemed tired of each other.
        "Is that supposed to be offensive Bluebell?"
        "Depends!" He shouted. "Did it seem that way?" He asked with a hopeful look on his face.
        "Not even close." Blackberry narrowed his eyes.
        "You rude, ill-mannered, despicable rabbit!" Bluebell shouted.
        "I'm ill-mannered?" He took a step forward, as did Bluebell. Alith stepped in between them, she felt someone facing the other direction.
        "As much as I like to see two quiet rabbits fighting," Bigwig started, Ailith turned and gave him a displeased look. "Kidding," He gave her a chuckle, she rolled her eyes.
        "We don't have time for this," She spoke with a weighty voice. "Can't you both can it till we get to the down?." The two fighting rabbits glared at each other.
"Come on, we're almost there." Hazel said, nodding to the down.
        "I'll stop if he apologises," Bluebell crossed his paws and looked away.
        "Me? If anyone should apologise it should be you!" Blackberry said.
        "Embleer Frith! You two are acting like kits!" She said looking at both of them with disbelief. "If I hear another word from both of you I swear to Frith, I will skin you both alive!"
        They both looked at the ground, Ailith studied the other bucks, daring them to say a word.
        "Well, if that's it I think we should get going." Hazel said shaking off the silence as if it was freshly fallen snow. Bigwig nodded and gave her a smirk.
        Her face showed very little emotion to this but her eyes lit up, they all ambled along a small stream, she saw the rocks were mossy on the tops, barely touching to the surface to breathe the air. She enjoyed the trot to their new home, so many new sights, smells and sounds. But her mind kept reminding her about all the dangers, Elil, (Sorry I kept spelling this wrong before.) maybe hostile neighbors, or even worse. Humans, she cringed at the thought of their savage ways.
        Stop it, she told herself once we get to the new waren everything will be alright. The sun was already high in the sky, shining above them happily, her eyes squinted as they passed a small pond. The sparkling reflection was breathtaking, but it also made her eyes hurt.
        Bigwig walked next to Ailith, they didn't speak, but they felt each other's optimistic presences. Was it stupid to give her the flower? He thought self consciously in his head. Did she like it? She understood what it meant, right? Frith help me now, he thought.
He never, ever had felt this way in his life, self conscious? Worried, anxious around her. Most of the time he tried not to show it, but something told him that Ailith pretty much knew everything.
        She caught him staring at her, she gave him a small smile and turned away.
        I am an embarrassment, he thought over again, but another voice rang in his head. I'm Bigwig, does love me, I'm strong, charming and a part of the Owsla. More like was, but that didn't matter, Ailith was a doe, he could win her over. But the thing was, she wasn't like any other doe, she was smart, feisty, brave and best of all had a temper like his. In her own way.
        They sauntered quickly towards the down, the white clouds scattered and raced across the blue sky. Frith kissed the tips of the grass with the rays of light, she smiled at the sudden warmth.
        Hazel roamed in the back, seeing Bigwig and Ailith side by side. He felt a pang of sadness hit him hard, but than it went away thinking about what Fiver had said before. He shook off the feeling, if I told her than I would ruin things with her and Bigwig, he thought. Maybe it was a good thing that he didn't tell her, it would save him the embarrassment and her the confusion. In his mind he was already over his little crush, but his heart told a different story, it ached and longed to be beside her. But no, she was with Bigwig now, he thought to himself.
        They ran the rest of the way, following Fiver. He turned them several times saying his senses told him to go this way. She didn't say much to Bigwig or Hazel, even though she wanted to talk with them. Ailith needed her energy, her legs were stronger now that it had been several days with them walking and running from corvil and crazed rabbits.
        Finally they had passed a farm, she cautiously passed the gate sniffing the air. It smelled or strange things, some even tickled her nose. But what caught her attention was straw, and rabbits. She didn't have time to look for them, so she kept moving on.
"Hazel," She heard Bluebell speak to him.
The rabbits trudged up a large hill, their legs wanted to give out from beneath them. Something made them  keep going though, the urge, the longing to find home.
        As she reached the top she saw a breathtaking sight, all around them she could see for miles on end. As she turned to look at the view she saw the trees, streams and even the human farm was in the distance, they could see anything coming from a long ways away. Hazel sat on a stone that faced the view, "You can see everything from here, Elil will never be able to ambush us!" Bigwig said excitedly, her thoughts exactly, she thought.
        They all stood on the stone taking in the air, "Welcome home." Hazel said calmly.
        Home. She said looking to her left and right. Home, this is what it felt like, the rabbits around her that she loved, and a perfect place to call home.
                          Welcome Home, Ailith.