Chapter 4

Hello!!!! Hope everyone is staying safe during this pandemic. Hope you all are enjoying the story. So yeah, thanks everyone for reading this!

She laid next to Hazel, his fur was full of warmth. She relaxed at the feeling of his slow breathing on the back of her neck, it was calming. The only rabbit that stayed awake was Bigwig, he was a stubborn rabbit, he told them that Bigwig didn't need to sleep. Referring to himself in third person was one of the things that didn't make sense, so she just left him. As soon as her body hit the ground next to Hazel's, her body thanked her with a feeling of gratitude.
Hazel laid next to Ailith, her chest moved in a slow motion of relaxed breathing. Oh Ailith, he thought sadly, you beautiful, feisty, smart doe. He moved closer to her, hoping she wouldn't notice. As he did she opened her eyes, squinted forward, but then closed them again with a small smile on her face. He sighed, Good Frith you're perfect. He admired her different colored fur, there were white and red spots scattering her back like stars, but as he traced her body with his eyes he noticed a fresh wound. It seeped blood out slowly, her back tensed as she tried to shake off the pain. So he moved his head and started to lick it slowly. She seemed surprised by this, Ailith lifting her head and turned it towards him.
"Trying to make a move on me now Hazel?"
"Oh, I-I, uh, no, course not." He stuttered, Calm yourself, he told himself, she's trying to intimidate you. "Your wound, it looks like it needs to be cleaned."
She rolled her eyes, "I am sure, well go on."
He returned his tongue to the wound, she took a sharp inhale as he did so. Just then there was a loud rustling ahead of them.
"Oi, lovebirds, get up."
"Embleer Frith Bigwig," Ailith said, getting up quickly and walking towards him.
"What's happening?"
"What is that?"
"Shut up! I am trying to see." Bigwig spoke. "Corvil, a whole reckoning of them."
A corva from up above locked eyes with Ailith, it moved swiftly down to them spreading its black wings as it landed in front of Bigwig.
"Maybe I can talk to it." Hazel suggested coming up from behind the two rabbits.
"Hazel I don't think that's a good idea." Ailith said, noticing it moved closer and snapped its large, sharp beak.
Hazel ignored her warning and walked right up to the raven cautiously. "Hazel, no." Bigwig spoke trying to reach for him. Hazel shushed him and spoke to the bird.
"Hello, uh, I understand that this might be your home. But we just need-" The bird lunged at Hazel, landing right on top of him, trying to peck his eyes out. She shouteed and rammed herself right into the Corva causing them to both spiral out of control, she thought she had taken care of the dumb bird but it came back to finish her off. It clutched her neck in between it's sharp talons, she struggled to get out of its iron grip. She scratched at its face, making it agitated. Then with a powerful kick she hit it in the chest making it fall backwards with a loud shriek, it flew upwards making a loud series of caws.
"Oh Frith," It was alerting his friends. A cloud of black wings, beaks and scary eyes appeared above them. They attacked from above, nicked them on the back of their heads and necks. Blood appeared to be dripping from the sky as their talons carried the crimson colored liquid around the large room.
"We need to get out of here!" Fiver yelled.
"Really? Hadn't noticed!" Hawkbit yelled back sarcastically.
"A diversion was safis." Blackberry shouted from underneath a rock.
"I'll go." Dandelion spoke with a brave face. He started running away from the scene getting the attention of a few of the ravens.
"He's serious?" Bluebell asked them, his eyes followed Dandelion as he dodged through the rocks and tree roots.
Ailith made her way up an overturned stone and reached the top watching Dandelion dart back and forth avoiding the Corvil's clutches. The rest of the bucks watched with her as well, "Wow, that is one fast rabbit." Blackberry said in awe.
"It's working, let's go." Hazel said, they hopped away quickly. Ailith watched for Dandelion, he seemed to be slowing down because of how fast he had been running. Then the Corva picked him up and flew higher and higher into the sky, he thrashed in the birds' talons.
"Dandelion!" Bluebell yelled.
"Oh no." She spoke with worry, the bird had let him go and dropped him on the ground with a thump. He landed on his side and started running again. The bird chased him again, flying lower this time. Bigwig jumped on top of it causing the relentless bird to fall down. They rolled over and over until the bird was on top of Bigwig trying to snap at him. Bigwig deflected and moved his head to the sides, then rolled on top of the now flailing bird, he repeatedly hit it in the face. The bird tried getting up until.
A crack of thunder shook the ground, making her feel slightly buzzed. She gazed at the dead corva lying face up on the ground, Bigwig limped towards the others, his wounds opened and now bleeding severely. He didn't speak to anyone, he just kept walking out of the structure, the bucks and one doe followed him until the sun started to peak over the horizon.
"Alright, days breaking, we should stop." Bigwig said, looking over at the rising sun.
"No," Hazel spoke, hopping. "We keep moving."
"Are you giving me an order Hazel? Because I didn't realize anyone had made you chief rabbit." Everyone froze, they all looked around. Ailith stepped in.
"That's enough." She said, to both of them with a glare.
"No, no. You should hear this to doe." Bigwig narrowed his eyes at her.
"I know things are bad, things will improve once we reach the down." He spoke with Fiver at his side.
Bigwig laughed, "Ah, yes, yes! The down, the place we're heading for no reason other than Fiver had a feeling about it!A leader is supposed to protect their group, and have you been doing Hazel? Hm? Afterall it was Ailith and me that saved us from the Owsla, Blackberry that had the idea with the stream. Oh and Dandelion who saved us from your stupid mistake with the birds! Now we followed you here because you promised us a better life Hazel! A better life!" Bigwig turned away from Hazel, obviously upset He looked as if he was about to attack someone, but something stopped him. The way Ailith looked so deeply into his eyes, begging for no more bloodshed.
"There is only one doe here so I am going to attempt to dig myself a scrape.Is that okay? Not because I want to rest, but because this is where I'm staying." He moved over to a patch of dirt and started to dig, he struggled but did not ask for help. The others awkwardly stood there, until Hawkbit and Dandelion moved to help Bigwig dig a bigger scrape. Meanwhile Bluebell tentatively walked over with them, Blackberry stood firmly and did not move despite the heavy rain above. Ailith stood loyally next to Hazel, she laid her paw on his shoulder, for some encouragement. He moved his head to meet with hers, their foreheads touched for a moment. The warmth she felt in her chest for Hazel lit her up like a candle. She smiled slowly, noticing he had closed his eyes.
The next morning she woke up next to Hazel, last night she and him dug one a little separately from the others. Knowing the situation they were in, as she looked over to her left she saw Hazel looking in a small puddle. He seemed to notice her presence, "Bigwig was right,"
"About what?" She asked him, the sky was starting to show its blue ocean above. The grass was dewy and it smelled like fresh mint all around. The sky sprinkled the tiny rain droplets on them as if it was apologizing for yesterday.
"Me not being a good enough leader for you all," He said looking straight into her eyes. "I'm not as strong as Bigwig, I'm not smart like Blackberry, not fast like Dandelion, I don't have stories to lift everyone's spirits like Bluebell and I'm not-" He stopped abruptly.
"You're not what?"
I am not worthy of you, Ailith, he thought. "Nothing."
She took a deep breath, "You want to know what I think?"
Hazel looked back at her, "Yes,"
"Leaders become great not because of their power, but because of their ability to empower others." She said, giving him a look. "You may think you have none of those qualities that you stated. But you are a leader because you give hope, promise and freedom. Don't let anyone tell you different, Hazel Ra."
He was speechless, he thought that Ailith was a reckless, crazy rabbit, but what she said was amazing. "Thank you, Ailith."
"Your welcome, Hazel Ra." She smiled at him, which sent his heart to skip a beat. She lifted her ears to hear something moving in the tall grass. She stomped her foot 5 times in a rapid motion, the others were aware of this and got up quickly.
What she saw, she thought she was in some sort of dream.
"What is that rabbit doing?" Fiver asked, referring to the rabbit walking towards them on his hind legs. It was as if it was a human.
"Who are you? And what do you want?" Hazel asked slowly.
"My name is Cowslip, I come from a warren just across the field here." He said, taking another step towards them, looking at their sleeping arrangements. "I don't want anything from you. You look tried, have you come a long way?"
"So what if we're tired, it doesn't mean we can't defend ourselves." Bigwig spoke menacingly. Ailith agreed with his comment, she still had ounces of fighting left in her, so why not use them.
Cowslip chuckled lightly, "I don't doubt that for a second. Our warrens not as big as we'd like, but theres enough food to go around. And if you'd like to live with us, we'd welcome you.There are more heavy storms along the way." He lifted his paw to the sky and smiled back at them. "If you'll excuse me, I hate rain."
The new and strange rabbit hopped away, this time on his four legs.
"Well that was unexpected." Bluebell spoke.
"We're going right? He seemed nice, I like him, let's go, let's go right now." Hawkbit said eagerly.
"I don't know," Fiver said with a concerned look. "Something doesn't feel right, I think that we should have nothing to do with that rabbit and his warren."
"What does Hazel think?" Black berry asked the group of pondering rabbits.
"Yeah, we all know what Hazel thinks, he agrees with Fiver." Hawkbit said in a baby voice.
"I think we should go." Hazel said. Everyone turned their heads in surprise. "I mean the rabbit already offered, and I think it would be nice to get out of the rain and sleep in a warren."
"That settles it." Bigwig said moving forward. Ailith looked at Hazel with a small look, as if she was saying 'are you sure about this?' He nodded.
They all eagerly hopped over fields of lavender and mint, the strong smell filled her nose with pleasure and her feet thanked her for now traveling on softer ground. They traveled through the field for a few more minutes until they reached a huge tree, covering a small hill. The roots were overgrown and acted like the base of the new warren. Ailith noticed that all the rabbits standing at the entrance were twice as big as all of them. Even bigger than Bigwig, "Friends," Cowslip said in a dreamily state. "Welcome to the Great burrow." He said over his shoulder. They started walking inside, they all followed him in, she was so focused on the ceilings she hadn't realized that she had slightly started to lean on Bigwig. He coughed to get her attention, "Oh, sorry about that." She said scooting away from him. He nodded, and proceeded through the tunnels, they had finally reached a wide and tall room. She looked up in awe, it was gorgeous, the ceiling was held up by the tree roots spread out decorating the room wonderfully.
"The ceiling it's made of roots, they act like beams in a way. Extraordinary." Blackberry said with wonder.
"Look at the size of those rabbits," Hawkbit admired a few does and a quite large buck. "They could tear us to pieces."
"Not if I have anything to say about it." Ailith spoke glaring at some of them. She could fight them, they were big and quite round. She could outmaneuver them easily, stay low and quick.
Cowslip stood in the middle of the room, on a small ledge, "When you said it wasn't as big as you liked, we were expecting a lot smaller." Hazel noticed, taking a look around. "Were there more of you living here at a time?"
The rabbits around shifted uncomfortably, looking down at their paws. Cowslip obviously noticed this, he looked back up at the newcomers. "Why don't you get settled for tonight. That way in the morning you will be rested." He said, completely ignoring Hazel's question.
Ailith took this into account, strange rabbits, she thought. As the clan of rabbits started to break off, Hazel and Fiver did as well. Ailith, looked around the damp looking cavern, she hopped to the side of one wall and sniffed it.
"There's nothing to be afraid of, new rabbit." She jumped, and turned around to find a huge buck standing there.
"Why would I be afraid?" She narrowed her eyes slightly at the sight of the buck.
"You tell me," He shrugged. They sat in silence for a few moments. "I'm Ash, by the way."
"I'm Ailith." She said tilting her head to look at him.
"Would you like a tour? I hear you'll be staying for a while."
"No thank you." She gave him a thin smile. Wait, staying for a while? "Um, actually, I would like that." The only reason she was doing this was because she didn't entirely trust these rabbits, something seemed, off.
"Wonderful, this way." He said, stepping aside.
They walked outside to see many rabbits laying in the sun, but they weren't talking to each other. They seemed to keep their distance, "So, you're the only doe in that group?"
"I am," She looked around to find her friends, but she couldn't find any of them. Must be exploring, she thought.
"How does that work out?" His voice stayed flat the entire time he spoke.
"Oh, um. I dunno, really." Ailith didn't feel like sharing her whole life story to a rabbit she had just met five minutes ago.
"There are the storytellers quarters over there, he has his own feeding area as well." He pointed to a large opening at the side of the hill. She nodded, "And over there is the kits run, they are all sleeping right now." He showed her a small wooden box filled with tiny rocks, as she stepped on them they fell downwards in a satisfying way.
"We call it sand." He turned away as though he had seen it more than a million times before. He sat down on a small hill overlooking most of the warren, he sighed deeply as his eyes started to water.
"Are you alright?" She asked.
"Oh, yes, yes I'm fine." He wiped away the tears that trickled down his red fur.
"You know," She spoke sitting next to him. "If there is something on your mind, you can talk about it. I won't tell." She gave him a genuine smile.
"My mate, s-she passed a couple days ago." He held his breath, noting wanting to sob.
"I'm sorry about that, how did she pass?"
"Frith decided," He then muttered a small chant under his breath. "But, I am alright, it will happen to everyone soon enough."
"What will happen?" He looked at her like he had given her too much information already.
"Ah, is that the time already." He squinted up at the sun. "I better be off, you know, kits to train, burrows to dig. Have a nice rest of your day, Ailith." He hopped off quickly, but she couldn't possibly imagine why he was so skittish towards that topic.
She sat there until she felt the presence of someone behind her.
"Yes?"
"I was just looking at the lavender." It was a gruff voice.
"It is quite beautiful."
Just like you, Bigwig thought.
"Indeed." He spoke standing next to her. Her grey eyes traced the whole warren in a quick heartbeat, her paws sat neatly in front of her, waiting to be attacked.
"I was wondering something."
"And?" She spoke still looking forward.
"You and Hazel. You seem, close." He observed carefully.
"We are." She said, without giving it another thought.
"Like making you his mate?"
She had just choked on her spit, and started coughing loudly. As soon as she regained herself she turned to Bigwig with wide eyes.
"What?"
Bigwig spoke, "The way he looks at you. Everyone can see it, that's why no one has made any moves on you, Ailith."
"Well, um, this is awkward." She spoke looking at her feet, and suddenly her face became hot. But than she realized that that was stupid, she didn't come here for love! She came here for freedom and change. Anger rose in her, "I didn't come here for love Bigwig. I came here for a better life, nothing will change that."
"I see I was mistaken." His heart broke into two.
"Yes, you were." She snapped at him. He stayed quiet as she fumed. But then realization swept over her, why was so mad at Bigwig? He didn't do anything wrong, it seemed like she was always like this. Mad at Bigwig, for an obvious observation.
"Look, I'm sorry." She turned to Bigwig with an apologetic look. "I just am confused. I mean I never really thought anyone could, feel that way towards me."
Bigwig chuckled, "Yeah, I guess bucks don't want a doe that can take them down."
She smiled and laughed with Bigwig, there was a peace between them. She felt like she could really talk to him. Really feel safe with him around, his jokes made her laugh, when he was angry she could sense the hesitation when he looked over at her. Ailith felt happier than she had been in a long time, through this journey. She had only felt this feeling for Bigwig, and no one else.
"And what about you?"
"What about me?"
"Oh come on. You can't be serious, haven't you seen all the does staring at you?" She nudged him with a smirk on her face.
"I have talked to a few of them." His face hidden from his small smile.
"Figures." She laughed.
They sat there until the sun came down, shining across the beautiful lavender fields. She loved this, the moment when her and Bigwig started heading down to the warren. It was cold down there, but heat radiated from Bigwig, so she stayed close. Ailith felt happy as she saw her friends all sleeping in separate burrows, but a twinge of guilt hit her in the stomach as she saw Hazel sleeping quietly next to his brother. She would talk to him tomorrow, to clear things up.
"Well, goodnight Bigwig." She said leading herself into a burrow across from him.
"Goodnight Ailith." He said as she closed her eyes. Sleep took her quickly, she saw flashes of images.
Bigwig and her together, on top of a hill, kits running around them, and the sun shining brightly. Ailith felt a smile cross her face as her breaths turned even and slow. Finally sleep took her peacefully.