Feeling Home

The two of them entered the building and walked up the stairs. When they got to the forth floor Jamie stopped in front of a white door and fetched some keys out of his pockets. "Anna gave me them, don't worry i'm not a thief", he joked and pushed the door as it made a loud click.

It was a small apartment, but due to the minimalistic interior design not claustrophobic. The hallway only consisted of a mahogany cabinet that went all up to the ceiling, a narrow sisal carpet and a pedestal on the opposite side of the room, on which an elegant looking vase was standing. "Amazing how she managed to keep it so clean", Elinor muttered in astonishment. "Indeed...Anna has tried many times to tidy up my apartment to look a bit more like hers but after only a day it just looks like you're at the luthier again, not very pleasing, i'd say."

Jamie lifted Elinors bags and made his way to the living room. Elinor followed him. Her eyes widened as she entered the beautifully lighted room she assumed to be the largest of all.

Bookcases were lined up and covered almost the entire wall, allowing only one or two glimpses of moss green paint

Bookcases were lined up and covered almost the entire wall, allowing only one or two glimpses of moss green paint. Peanut and tortilla brown were the dominant colors in the room, which the furniture and the carpet reflected. It was incredibly cozy. Elinor took a few steps into the room, drawing closer to the huge studio windows which allowed the room to be bathed in sunlight.

"It's so beautiful here.", she finally said, sweeping a hand over an armrest while passing by. Her eyes were still analyzing the room. „I know." Jamie dropped her bags next to the couch and went into the kitchen that was linked to the living room through a passage frame. He came back with two cups of tea. „Anna told me you prefer tea over coffee?"
„Indeed", Elinor relieved him of one and blew onto it, causing the light green liquid to cause ripples.

After a few minutes of quite sipping and appreciating the simpleness of tranquillity, Jamie put his cup onto a nearby coffee table and plunked down onto the little armchair next to Elinor.

„We have about two and half an hour left until we have to get there on time. How about we eat a little something and get ready afterwards?", he inquired

„Sounds like a plan. But do you have anything to change here?"

„Yes, Anna picked them up yesterday to make sure You won't be left all by yourself as her special guest, so don't worry about me. Besides, my cello is already there."

„Great, how about i cook? You already did the driving and all."

„That's fine with me, but let me lend you a hand with the ingredients and kitchen devices, you're not familiar with her kitchen after all."

Anna nodded smilingly and both went to the kitchen.

Shortly after Elinor lighted up the hearth and oven, the room was filled with the aromatic odour of vegetables and fish. Jamie took a peek over to the hearth and rested his head onto Elinor's shoulder. „Looks and smells amazing, my dear. I'm getting hungry.", he said. „You have to be a little more patient...but for now you have to content yourself with this." Elinor shoved some of the fried vegetables onto a little spoon and led it up to his mouth.

„Hmm", Elinor watched him as he tilted his head back in recognition. His blond hair fell loosely around his head. The little hair pin that she had clipped on before was still trying to hold a few tresses in place. „I will have to return the favor one day", he finally said.

Elinor smiled and turned around, facing him completely. She looked up and met his hazel eyes, charmed by their mesmerizing color. „I'd love to", she said and raised up her hands to cup his face „but i can't take you serious with this.", she said, reaching up to get the little hair pin out of his hair.

„Oh god i forgot about this completely", he giggled and ruffled his hair „would have been funny if it had stayed there until the concert."
„and I would have taken plenty of pictures", Elinor smiled at him.

She finished the dish and Jamie set the table. The two of them sat down and began eating, talking about everything and anything. They laughed and joked, but also talked about the hardships they had to face when growing up, especially in college. „I got incredibly insecure about my playing when i got in college.", Jamie said „Before getting accepted in London, i was pretty confident, probably because i played for fun and not for any competitions or to show off. But being constantly surrounded by extraordinary people who won't stop rubbing their talent in everyone's face ...suddenly, my self esteem was at zero." He placed one elbow next to his plate and supported his head, lost in thought.

„i know exactly what you mean", Elinor put down her cutlery and looked him in the eyes.
„i don't like to play in front of many people, i would get really nervous and sweaty", she laughed „also seeing so many people being so good and all...but then i realized, why i started playing piano in the first place- because of my love for the music and the wonderful feeling of being at home, being at ease, when i play. And i think everyone has to think back to why he is doing what he is doing, and especially what he wants to accomplish by playing."

Jamie smiled and reached for her hand that was resting next to his, caressing his thumb over her knuckles. Elinor felt a wave of heat through her body, strangely comfortable with his touch. „I did, when i saw Anna play for the first time, she reminded me of my true objective, the purpose of why i chose this career in the first place...making people happy with my playing." He smiled at her, averting his hand back onto his lap.

„But tell me...you play piano?", he raised an eyebrow in interest.

„Yes, but far from good. I only play for myself once in a while."

„Got one at home?"

„Unfortunately not."

„One more reason to invite you over for dinner. I've got a grand piano standing in my living room. I have to admit, it's piled up with books and stuff and probably covered in dust too, but i think he would be delighted to be played by you."

„hmm" Elinor hummed, „really tempting, i have to admit."

Jamie grinned, holding his gaze for a couple more minutes as he straightened himself and took a glance at the watch that hung above the door frame. „Much as i would love to sit here and chat with you longer, we'll have to get ready for the concert.", he sighed, starting to pile the dirty dishes."Times flies!"
she chuckled, helping Jamie clearing up the table.