Swallow

Phoenix takes a large bite. The warm substance coats his tongue. His heart finds itself soaring into a state of euphoria. His face goes red with pure joy.

"Gosh, how could something this good ever be made by human hands?" Phoenix takes another bite of the sandwich in his hands. He focuses more on the taste and enjoying every second; "Dollie, you could have told me you could cook sooner!"

"Well, if I did that then it wouldn't be a nice surprise!" 'Dahlia' gives Phoenix a smile. It feels slightly strained from anxiousness. Her feet shift nervously under her chair. They bump onto something sitting underneath her chair. Seeing Phoenix's face go red with happiness makes the girl's own face do the same; "It's our five-month anniversary after all."

Phoenix nearly chokes for a brief moment. He still manages to spread an excited smile. Some of his sandwich sits on the edge of his lips. He catches it with his tongue like a tree frog.

"Wow! I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembered. Five months of pure bliss and happiness for the two of us! I couldn't be happier! What about you, Dollie?"

'Dahlia' pauses for a moment. Her hands begin to tremble on her lap. She feels her heart sink down to her toes. Every day the trapped girl wishes to tell the boy her secret. Every day her love for the boy grows. Every day the trapped girl remains in her own constant torture. Her sister's shadow may eventually pass someday. Then the two of them can live together freely without any sort of dark secrets. The words of her sister tear through Iris's mind— "Get the necklace back and then you're done. Don't get attached. Don't get attached." These words cycle through her mind. Iris wonders how she could not get attached to someone she has been searching for her whole life. However, she knows that Phoenix fell for Dahlia and not for her. The last thing she wants to do is hurt him. But if this keeps going, he may end up in more hurt than he could possibly imagine. Iris believes that she cannot just betray her sister. She wavers on a decision.

"Feenie, every day we have spent together has been like a dream for me. But...I just ask you to be careful, alright? You are a very wonderful boy, and I wouldn't want your heart to be broken. Even after these months, we still know very little about each other and—"

"Oh, don't say something like that! Everything is going to be perfect. After all, we have just the two of us, don't we?"

Phoenix leans over the table slightly to get closer to her face. A cute but surprisingly smug grin rests on his face. Iris backs away slightly in shock. She feels her face go red again. She decides to stop before she does in fact say too much. Fate has chosen to not allow the news to be shared yet; what a relief. Iris places a hand on her cheek. Of course, she is met with indescribable heat. A small smile spreads across her face. For the first time in these three months, her sister's plan completely leaves her brain. Just for now, it will just be the two of them with no one else in the picture. How blissful of a life that would be in reality.

"I—I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me. I...suppose I was just giving an overdramatic introduction to your anniversary gift." Iris lifts up a small package from under her chair. It is wrapped in brown paper however a bright purple bow sits on top; "It is not much, but I made it with my own two hands. I do hope you like it..."

Phoenix appears confused for a moment since pink has always seemed to be the girl's color. However, he accepts the gift with open arms. Tearing open the package, he is met with the pink he had expected just moments ago. A sparkle enters his eyes as the knitted fabric rests now in his arms. He gives the sweater a hug as he begins to giggle like a schoolgirl. Iris laughs along with him. Freedom feels so good. Phoenix immediately puts it on over his shirt. The sleeves fall over his hands a little bit, but other than that it fits him like a glove. Iris's cheeks grow pink as her smile grows wider. He looks so pleased, even though the sweater probably feels itchy. Iris suspects that he will not be taking that sweater off for a while. He continues to giggle.