[ seven ] loving touch - n.l.

i weakly walked back to the gryffindor common room, cradling my hand which was engulfed in searing pain. i looked down at it every once in a while, seeing the stupid letters carved into my skin. it made me livid.

i reached the portrait and muttered the password. i stepped in, glancing at my hand once more. i looked up to see only one person in the comfortable room; neville longbottom. i stopped and looked at him for a second. he was reading a book, his eyebrows slightly furrowed. i watched the way his lips moved ever so slightly as he took in the words on the page. without knowing, a smile spread across my face. he was honestly the most attractive boy at hogwarts. i thought of how it would feel to run my fingers through his soft brown hair, the way-

my thoughts were interrupted as his light eyes glanced up from his book and connected directly with mine. i quickly looked away and pretended to be looking at the various books on the surrounding bookshelves.

"hey y/n," he greeted. i looked back over at him, and his smile made me smile.

"hey," i waved a little, forgetting about the immense pain in my hand. i clenched my jaw for a second as i went back to cradling my hand.

he looked at my hand and then back up to my eyes. "are you okay?" he asked.

i subconsciously turned my hand away from him so he couldn't see the writing. "yeah, yeah, i'm fine," i lied.

"was it the quill?" he asked, genuinely concerned. after a second i decided to give up, and i nodded. he patted the spot on the couch next to him, and my heart basically melted. i walked over, setting my bag down. i sank down into the comfortable maroon couch. he gently took my hand in his and read the words that still had a bit of fresh blood on them. i will not talk back. neville looked up at me.

"i told the stupid toad that she was, well, stupid, and that harry was right about voldemort being back." i softly took my hand from his and glared at the words.

"that woman is despicable," neville frowned.

"tell me about it," i sighed.

"i actually read up on it a bit, and found a plant that makes a serum that's supposed to help. i've given it to some people and they say it's instant relief. would you like some?" neville asked, scratching the back of his neck. i took my eyes off my hand and looked at him, smiling wide.

"that would be amazing, nev." i paused for a second. "can i call you that?"

"y-yeah, of course," his cheeks turned a light shade of pink as he nodded. "um, i'll go get the stuff." he stood from the couch and walked up the stairs to the boys dormitory. i smiled to myself and waited for him to come back.

soon enough, he came back down the stairs with a little tin in his hand. "i put it in here to make it easier." he handed the tin to me, and i spun the lid off. i took some on my fingertips, slowly running it over the broken skin. i hissed in pain and retracted my fingers as it hit my bloodied skin. neville watched as i did so, looking at me with great sympathy.

"i can do it if you'd like." i once again switched my gaze from my hand to him.

"that would be great, thank you," i sighed, a bit of tension leaving my body. i handed him the tin and he once again softly took my hand in his, careful not to touch the sensitive parts. he scooped some of the serum onto his fingers, gently rubbing it onto my hand. my other hand balled into a fist as i took in a sharp breath.

"the pain should subside in a second," neville said reassuringly as he slathered more onto my hand. i took a deep breath, trying not to focus on the serum sinking into the damaged flesh. i felt as the pain washed away into nothing. i looked at my hand, which still had the marks on it, but i didn't feel them anymore.

i looked up at neville, a bit of shock showing on my face. "it worked, i can't feel it anymore!" i exclaimed. i was so happy to be rid of the horrible pain that i wrapped neville in a hug. he seemed a little surprised at first, but he hugged me back. i pulled away and smiled at him. we sat smiling at each other for a second before i felt something pulling me toward him.

i leaned closer to him ever so slightly, flicking my eyes down to his lips. he blinked a few times before his eyes fluttered closed. i wrapped my hand around his in his lap. i leaned closer, and my lips brushed against his. he took a sharp breath in. my eyes were closed, and suddenly i felt the soft touch of his other hand on my cheek. before i knew it, his lips were fully on mine. i basked in the moment, having thought about this many times; though i never knew it would actually come true. i placed my other hand onto his that was on my face, my fingers ghosting over his. i gently pulled away, our noses brushing against each other's. i couldn't help the smile that took over my face, and his face broke into a smile too.

"would you like to go watch the stars at the astronomy tower with me some time?" he asked.

"i would love to, nev."

hey guys!
welcome to my first non-draco chapter😏
i hope you guys liked it, it was fun to write
i love neville🌚
anyway, i'll see you guys later <3
-mads💖