Five

"Stop grumbling."

Bowser grumbled in response. "I really don't like orphans."

Kamek blanched. "Do you not hear yourself sometimes?"

"Geez, Kamek, who do you take me for? They just make me uncomfortable. It's not like I wish 'em harm or something..." Bowser replied. "That'd sound pretty stupid coming from me, don't you think?"

"I understand, your Highness, but the way you say things sometimes is just...awful. It's a wonder your subjects still like you."

Bowser rolled his eyes, steadying the Koopa Clown Car.

"Yeah. Look at me. I'm such a charity case." He deadpanned. "Maybe I should just fall over and die, then maybe my clan will be better off."

Kamek shook his head. We can't find this orphanage soon enough... he thought.

"To change the subject... any new dreams?" The mage asked.

Bowser was silent for a moment.

"...Yes, actually. Only this time, it wasn't a nightmare for a change."

"Hm. Really?"

"It was so strange. I was... in front of a mirror. Looking at my reflection. Suddenly, the reflection rippled, and it changed. It was still me, but as a child. Then, it started getting weird. My reflection came out of the mirror, and floated right to me. He landed right on the floor in front of me. He went beside me and held my hand. I think I started crying... but then I looked into his eyes, MY eyes, and I felt something inside I'd... never felt before. A feeling I never wanted to stop.

"I looked back into the mirror, expecting it to be empty. But it was both of us there. Me and little me. Together. I felt happy. Fulfilled. Calm... And then I woke up." He looked back at Kamek, awaiting his inevitable interpretation.

Kamek sighed, adjusting his glasses. "Indeed, you were right, Sire. This dream is strange."

"Think it means something?" Bowser asked.

"Yes... I think it's another message from the Star Spirits. They're showing you what will happen when you finally come to terms with your childhood. When you make peace with your past."

Kamek's eyes suddenly lit up. "And since we made plans to visit the orphanage... Ah! This certainly must be confirmation that we're on the right track!" He exclaimed excitedly.

Bowser scowled. "Well, I think it's nonsense. What can a simple child do for me? I'm looking for allies, here, not a babysitting job."

"I know, Sire, that these things don't make sense right now." Kamek resigned.  "But once we find this partner of yours, a child who understands and thinks like you, perhaps you'll learn the solution to this puzzle all on your own."

Bowser gazed off into the night, peering down at the houses on the Earth far below him, and at the millions of stars above him. He had never felt so unsure, so lost. Could a child really be the answers to all his problems? The Star Spirits seemed to think so. Kamek seemed to think so. A child fighting like a soldier? Bowser didn't think so. But at this point, what else could he do but heed the Star Spirits' warning?

His nightmares flashed through his head again, sending shivers down his spine.

At least if he was on the right track, he wouldn't dream those horrible dreams anymore.

"Where is the orphanage, anyway?" Bowser asked, with renewed gusto. "It feels like we've been flying for hours and I haven't seen anything besides measly little houses for miles."

Kamek conjured a magical map. "We should have come up on it already... Let's see, here we are, and there's- Oh dear, we've passed it!"

"What?!" Bowser snapped.

"Arg! We must have flown right over it during our little debate! We're miles away from it! Turn this blasted thing around, quickly!" Kamek ordered.

"Graah! Just my luck!" Bowser growled. He brought the Clown Car to a screeching halt, causing Kamek to lurch forward harshly. He was grouching about almost losing his glasses, when Bowser suddenly caught sight of some strange movement on the ground. There was a small pinprick of light in a sea of dark. Moving impossibly slow.

"...What is that?" Bowser questioned, bringing the Clown Car closer to the ground.

Kamek fixed his glasses and peered downward. "Sire, they're probably just travellers. We need to get moving!"

"No, something's off about this. There's only one light source. And they're travelling at night instead of sleeping. Small group. Don't want to be seen."

Kamek gave him an odd look.

Bowser increased his speed. "Heh, they're on the lam."

"Then maybe we shouldn't be engaging criminals, Sire?" Kamek asked, increasingly anxious.

"Are you kidding? This is what you wanted right?" Bowser replied, grinning. "People who think like me, huh? Well... here they are!"

Kamek gulped. "Surely, Bowser must know what he's doing..." he kept thinking to himself, over and over.

"I mean, really. They must have done something gutsy to need to travel at night. They must have some bravery. Determination. Those are admirable traits in allies! You know, you were right, Kamek. I'm feeling better alrea-"

Bowser's breath hitched. The Clown Car stopped short once again.

"Will you quit that?!" Kamek demanded. "Really, it is that hard to..." He followed Bowser' eyes.

"Stars above." He cursed.

Below them paced not a pack of criminals, but a tiny, filthy caravan of kids.

Bowser just stared at them, unable to speak.

Children don't travel alone. At night. In the middle of nowhere. Unless...

Bowser sprung into action, gunning the Clown Car into rediculous speed.

"I was right about one thing, Kamek. They're on the lam."

When he got close enough, he opened the Clown Car's mouth and shone a spotlight to gauge their exact position.

There they were. A group of six. They were dirty, unkempt. Their lantern was about to go out.

How long have they been out here? Bowser wondered.

Stars, they were just kindergartners and toddlers. Bowser even spotted one of them holding a baby.

His demeanor suddenly became very different than just a moment before. He landed the Clown Car gently, and slowly climbed out.

He saw them gather behind the one with the lantern, clearly the leader of their little band. His mane of hair was unbelievably messy and tangled, like it hadn't been tended to in days. His expression was fearful, eyes fixed on Bowser's face, but it was expertly hidden behind a hardened, defiant scowl.

He knows who I am, Bowser concluded.

They kept eagle eyes on him, whispering among themselves. Bowser took a single step forward, and the wild-haired kid shouted, "SHELLS OUT!"

The baby went into the arms of the only girl in the group and the boys formed a protective circle around them, facing their spiked shells outward. They linked arms, closing in tightly.

Bowser smirked. Clever.

"Don't be afraid. I'm not here to hurt you." Bowser called out.

"Then leave." Replied the leader.

Bowser's eyebrows went up.

"Heh." He scoffed. This would be extremely interesting.