can you stay?

Looking at her reflection in the mirror, she saw a disheveled figure staring back at her. It looked like her, but a little to the left. The figure was too... loose. Like they let themself go a long time ago and never tried to put the puzzle pieces back together. It just wasn't her. She simply blamed it on the bathroom lighting. The only thing she needed to be in control of was the way she thought of herself.

She sighed and looked at her android in the mirror. Or, at least he was the DPD's android, he was her current partner and housemate. He was sitting down on her bed quite patiently. From this angle, she could see his LED blink a soft amber. Most likely, she thought to herself, he was probably checking his vitals and other things as usual. She noticed his hair was messier than usual, as if he hadn't recalibrated in a long time.

"Nines, open my messages." She called out, her eyes drifting gradually to the hygiene products strewn along the grey marble countertop and in the sink. They haven't been touched in ages. She had forgotten the last time she showered, much less brushed her teeth.

A pause, and then he responded, "There is one. Would you like for me to read it to you?"

She knew exactly who it was from.

"Yeah, that's kinda what I asked you to do." She mumbled hotly, moving the mouthwash out of the sink and into the cabinet behind her, not knowing why her temper was short today. But everyday was like that, she thought it was just a side effect. Everything was a side effect at this point; hardly eating, lack of motivation, sleeping all the time. It was killing her slowly.

"From Mom; We would like for you to come to the Christmas din-"

"Delete the message."

His LED spun amber in thought, "It would be healthy for you to respond, you haven't left the house in two months."

She went outside the other day, though. Although it was because Nines need assistance in the snow, (even though she was pretty sure it was a weak attempt to get her outside) that wasn't the point. She was perfectly fine being cooped up here and Nines was completely fine running a few errands a week. It wasn't like she needed to go grocery shopping anyway, since she didn't have the appetite for food at the moment.

"It's perfectly normal. Do as I say."

A moment of silence engulfed the both of them. This time, his LED returned to its natural state, a baby blue color. Personally, it was her favorite shade of blue. Especially because it complimented the suits he usually wore, "I'm not allowing you to. What would you like to reply with?"

"Nothing, because I have nothing to say to them." She replied evenly toned and as cool and collected as she had been trying to. "Now, please delete the message. I don't want to see it anymore."

"I'm afraid I cannot. It goes against my protocol."

"What does?" She was beyond confused, she never read that part in the owner's manual. Of course, she was never given one in the first place, "Responding to a message? It's only one-"

"Thirty text messages and nine calls. Only from your mother. Add an additional two text messages from your father. It's not one, it's almost fifty."

Her parents definitely had a different way of coping. They wanted to cling onto every living person, hold onto them. Her mom took it harder, for obvious reasons. They both didn't realize she wanted to shut everyone out and become so far out of reach. Her mom wanted to know her—now only—daughter would be okay and wouldn't be leaving. So, naturally, she became clingy and tried to hold onto the past as much as she could. She just wanted her daughter back.