sumo

She sighed, leaning back in her loveseat. It was the perfect day outside, the sun was shining and there was a slight cool breeze. These types of days were a rarity for Detroit. Spring afternoons never lasted for long. Sure, there were a plethora of puddles littering the streets and grass patches, but if your shoes didn't get a little muddy playing outside, then you weren't doing it right.

"Hey, Nines, what should we do today?" She asked, ruffling the fur on Sumo's back lovingly. He was laying on her lap, breathing deeply as she stroked his thick coat, "I'm bored."

The reason of why she had Sumo was a particularly sad one, which reminded her of what Nines' predecessor did to her adoptive father. She was supposed to hate androids for what they did to her family. But, because of the one on the couch to the right of her, she couldn't bring herself to dislike them. He showed compassion and care that she hadn't felt in a while. There was a bright side to Connor's deactivation and Hank's death, she was able to meet Nines and his interactions with the fluffy companion.

It was his turn to sigh as he zoomed into a photo on his touch-screen laptop, the luminescent screen reflecting a bright white light onto his features, "I'm well aware you're bored, but I have work to do." He glanced up and paused, seeing a sight he usually never does; her and Sumo together smiling and spending time with each other. He took a mental photo, wanting to never forget it. He blinked, not quite liking the fuzzy feeling he got in his chest, and went back to his work, "Go take Sumo for a walk or something."

"I just might, but... I don't think Sumo would be up for it." She ruffled the flatter fur on Sumo's head, finding that his eyes closed whenever she got closer to his ears. "Maybe we'll go out back or something."

She made a move to get up but was stopped by the large dog situated on her lap, she groaned and tried to push him off. He would have none of it, he huffed in protest, leaning towards her. She smiled, but refused to push harshly because she really didn't want to hurt him. Relaxing her arms, she looked at Nines and waited for him to register that her attention was focused on him.

He rolled his eyes and whistled sharply, gaining Sumo's attention, "Here." He said curtly. It was a simple command that Sumo knew well. It seemed that animals always responded well to Nines, maybe because he knew how to handle them. Sumo abruptly got up and off the couch, but not without bumping his back with her chin. An "oof" noise escaped her, along with a giggle.

The next thing was that Sumo tried to cuddle with Nines, which was slightly funny because even if Nines could handle them, he couldn't handle them. He wasn't the biggest fan of anything he couldn't have an equal conversation with. For example, a dog. Sumo gracefully leaped up on the couch, slowly making his way to Nines, knowing that he didn't like Sumo in the the way she did. Nines paused what he was doing and began looking at the dog in his peripherals.

She placed the back of her hand loosely against her mouth to hide the laugh creeping up. The sight was something she wanted to take a picture of. Him just in a grey tee shirt and black sweatpants, both of which were supplied by CyberLife. The chestnut locks on his head were messily neat, slightly swept to the side. It was an odd sight to see him so loose.

Thank goodness for Sundays. When they didn't have work, or at least she didn't. He always insisted on him catching up with paperwork and other things. It gave her time alone and time to clean around the house. Or to play with Sumo.

Sumo decided to take a hint, but plopped down with his head dangerously close to his leg. Nines gave him a warning glance, but continued to work.

She got up and brushed off what dog hair that she could, walking over to the kitchen. The feeling of the cool tile against her bare feet sent goosebumps up her spine. The rest of her body was relatively warm, dressed in a cream-colored vintage Coca-cola tee shirt that seemed two sizes too big matched with grey leggings. She looked out the window above the kitchen sink.

The sight of the freshly cut grass of their backyard put a larger smile on her face, she knew exactly how to rid of the boredom she felt. "Sumo!" She called to the living room, hearing a bit of whispering from the android in the other room, the clicking of his trimmed nails against the hard wood. She could hear dull thumping as he wagged his tail against the wall. "Come on boy," she said with a grin as she contemplated whether or not she should grab a pair of socks to put on with shoes or just suck it up and go barefoot.

The former won and she dashed into the living room and then to her bedroom to grab a pair of flower patterned crew cut socks. She ran and slid to a stop into the living room, not realizing that Nines was watching... and he was smiling to himself as well. Something that only happened once in a blue moon, or at least if she noticed. A giggle erupted from her as she sprinted into the kitchen, where Sumo was waiting patiently near the back door.

She opened the door and screen door, then released him, feeling the light breeze engulf her in a cool embrace. She smiled once she saw Sumo chasing his tail and then come to a stop watching her. Slipping on her dirty running shoes, she left the door open, but shut the screen so no insects could get in. A shrill noise came from her as she dashed over to the newly energetic Saint Bernard. He had a squeaky toy ball in his mouth, drool already pooling onto the ground.

Scrunching her face up, she commanded him to drop it so she could throw it across the fenced in yard. He complied and took a few steps back, focusing on the damp red ball in her delicate hand. She threw it to the opposite corner of the backyard. As she waited, her focus was drawn on the sky, filled with fluffy clouds that looked to be ready to rain. It didn't dampen the sun though, shining as bright as ever.

It was the best feeling, one that she hardly got to relish in because of her job. Sumo also hardly got as much play time as he should because of said work. It was well needed for the both of them.

As she thought more, she and Sumo played fetch. She had to assume it was for around five minutes.

She felt happy. It was like her life was complete.

Unlike others, she never really had a strong urge to date anyone. It was difficult to fall in love with someone she hardly met. Those fuzzy feelings everyone else got, she could never have with someone she didn't get to know on a personal level. She didn't believe in love at first sight.

She had to be around someone constantly, perhaps at work, or someone she could consider a close or best friend.

Sumo barked lowly as he dropped the ball at her feet, nudging the round object closer to her feet. She shrugged her shoulders happily and knelt down to pick it up.

What she didn't know was that Nines had abandoned his work on the couch and was leaning up against the open screen doorway. Just smiling to himself. A prickle of concern was felt as he watched Sumo push her over as she bent down to pick up the ball. It was brushed off as he could hear her laughter echo through the yard and her speaking to the dog.

If someone were to ask him what his favorite sound was, it would have to be her laughter. It was just contagious and invited you to join in, whether or not you thought the joke was funny. Most of the time there was no joke, just she laughing at her own mistakes. It made working with her a fun thing, not irritating like it would be with Detective Reed.

His favorite color wasn't a generic answer like blue like the sky or yellow like the sun. No. It was the color of a forest of pine trees in the summer, when it felt like spring. The perfect weather to get lost in the expanse of green needles and dark brown trunks. The whistling and tweeting of robins and finches in the distance, creating music with each other. It was a beautiful color that begged to be seen and enjoyed. It was the peace of seeing a family of white-tailed does and their awkward fawns roaming the thickets with not a care in the world.

It was a color of endlessness and freedom. Something he wanted to feel. It was her favorite color. Know how he knows how to describe it? That's the exact answer he got when she asked him one night — she was drunk, but still answered it nonetheless. He didn't know what to say, so he asked her and that's the response he got.

Seeing her play with Sumo, getting a little muddy as well, made him feel something that most definitely was not in his program. He'd be lying if he felt like he wasn't dying, it made him feel scared. He didn't know how he was feeling these things, but he didn't care. As long as she was happy, he was fine.

He rested his head on the frame and crossed his arms, watching them tumble on the ground. Wet slobbery kisses and playful touches.

He had found a place to call home.