The Game

A/N: Happy Valentine's Day! Posting this early as a treat to my babes. Love you all♥️

More pining. More frustration. But also, a lot of communication between our two love birds (pun intended)

This chapter provides a lot of insight into Bucky's thoughts and feelings. Is he communicating them? Eh, kinda. But he's bad at being vulnerable.

~

Dove's eyes squinted open and instantly scrunched back closed.

Sunlight was pouring into her room. She glanced over her shoulder and saw that she forgot to close her curtains before she went to bed. "Fucking idiot," she clipped, in self-directed fury. Pissed she drank so much the night before.

She groaned as she pulled her comforter over her head, rolling onto her side and letting out a sigh. Regret seeped into her bones. The kind one could only feel when waking up with a hangover, knowing there was no one to blame, but themselves.

Dehydration made her tongue go dry. Wishing more than anything that— her train of thought cut off, gasping in excitement when she remembered the glass of water she had left for herself the night before. She shot up, reaching for it, and chugging the whole thing down in one go. She was thankful for that, recalling that it was Bucky that told her to take it up.

Bucky.

The kitchen.

She tried to fucking kiss him. That thought alone made her nauseous.

"God what is wrong with you?" Dove whispered to herself, smacking her hands over her eyes.

She just wanted to hide in her bed all day. Not wanting to step foot out of her safe place or god forbid— run into him. But her growling stomach urged her to get up, so she flicked her covers off her head and looked over to her clock, seeing that it was already noon.

Scrambling to gather some semblance of dignity or motivation, she grabbed hold of what she could. She kicked her duvet off her legs, launching herself up from her bed in one rough movement. Dizziness hit her hard. She wobbled on her feet and bumped into her dresser to steady herself.

Still in her pajamas, she walked downstairs, keeping a vigilant eye out for her houseguest. Not that she knew what she would do if she did see him. Maybe she'd just run the other direction?

Yeah, that could work. Just avoid him for the next three months, she giggled to herself.

Wait, am I still drunk?

She became aware that she had been talking to herself and laughing at her own internal jokes. Brushing off her concerns, she continued her trek to the kitchen.

Relieved to find the room empty, she poured herself a colorful bowl of Trix cereal and found a spot at the dining room table. Enjoying the solace, she dug in, trying to fill her empty belly and hopefully cure her hangover.

Unfortunately, that fleeting bout of peace was cut short by Steve and Bucky walking in from the garage door, drenched in sweat. They had clearly just worked out together in the at-home gym their dad kept nicely stocked with state-of-the-art equipment, so Steve could stay conditioned for football year round.

Dove's stomach dropped at the sight of Bucky, but she was glad Steve was there. With another body in the room, she felt like there was buffer of sorts to keep her safe from the teasing that she was sure to endure the second they were left alone. Bucky wouldn't dare say a word in front of Steve, knowing they'd both be in deep shit if he did.