Transparency

A/N: Hey babes! I missed you all so much!

I didn't make a collage this time because this one is pretty short. It's some inner monologue from our lovebirds and a scene that follows. I went really poetic with it and there's a shitton of symbolism in this because I was in my feels.

No warnings this time. Just some angst and fluff!

We're getting verrry close to the end...

~

Dove rarely remembered her dreams. It was never something she questioned much. She'd wake up from a deep sleep with bits of lingering confusion about what visions had swirled about her subconscious mind and as soon as her eyes cracked open, it evaded her entirely.

Oddly enough, it seemed that the night before had provided her with some of the most detailed, realistic images her imagination had ever conjured. She dreamt of Bucky— which she assumed was a common occurrence if only she could remember. It was vivid and beautiful. She felt every detail as if it were reality. She dreamt of their life. Their future. Living in his family home together.

He was leaned up against the kitchen counter, sipping on a cup of coffee. He looked a bit older. Bulked-up with stubble that covered his jaw. The morning light shone in from the east-facing windows of the home, bathing him in a golden glow. Through the frosted panes, she could see gentle snowfall covering the earth in glimmering white.

Soft jazz played from across the room. A record spinning slowly on the plate. The room smelt like coffee and breakfast and new beginnings. Every aspect emitted warmth and that feeling filled her chest, spreading to her extremities.

The closer Dove got, the more Bucky's sugary smile faded. Instead, being replaced with a pained frown. It seemed that with his expression, the light coming in the window dimmed down like the sun was being covered with clouds. The whole room went cold.

When she stopped right before him, his eyes were filled with tears. "You're leaving, aren't you?" he asked. His voice was muffled. Almost like he was on the other side of a window, speaking to her, even though he was barely a foot away.

Before Dove could even respond, the entire room went dark. And just like that, the illusion had ended.

The rest of the day, that dream sequence had stuck in her head. Lingering just behind all of her thoughts like a shadow. She continuously found herself being tugged back to that haunting scene.

She did her best to keep her mind occupied. Ignoring her problems, staring down at her book instead. Hoping that if she let herself be distracted enough, she could pretend she was back in the heart of the summer.

When everything was easy.

Back when the biggest concern she had was whether or not Bucky would get caught sneaking over to her bedroom. Back she was still swimming in that pool of simple abundance. And those were the days of ease. Everything was bountiful: kindness, time, love. When she and Bucky lived in that perfect bubble where noise did not disrupt the calm. When their world was so very full.

Since her birthday, Dove had spent much of her time alone. As isolation was the only true way to avoid complete transparency to everyone around her. Wanda's offer consumed her thoughts. It was all she could think about. So much so, that having to look Bucky in the eye had become rather difficult. She knew her deep contemplation would be clearly etched on her face.

He saw through everything Dove ever did, so hiding something from him felt impossible. She had picked up the habit of avoiding him completely.

The two of them were good at pretending their issues didn't exist. Just like they pretended they never had that one tough conversation. Behaving as if things were normal. But there was a glaringly plain element between them that was tough to ignore. They made less eye contact. Knowing that if they stared too long into the other's eyes, they'd have to face their painful reality.