Awkward pauses

Daryl stood off to the corner of the cafeteria they called the "dining room" watching Beth and her friend Noah each pull a granola bar out of her backpack , laughing and crinkling the wrappers in each other's face.
She tilted her head back , long blonde ponytail reaching the bottom of her back as she laughed and grabbed the wrapper from the boys hand.
He didn't notice how intensely he'd been staring until Michonnes voice broke him out of his daze.
"You either got some fierce anger with blondie over there or you're trying to see if your mind reading powers have come in yet."
She smiled leaning against the wall next to him.
Next to Rick Michonne was the one he had gotten closest too in the group, he always found himself confiding in her.
" something different about her is all."
He said as Beth bit into the chewy granola bar a young boy about six or seven was watching her jealous as can be.
Beth looked to the granola bar then to the little boy and handed it to him with a reassuring smile.
The boy popped up from his seat on the ground and wrapped his arms around her neck squeezing her before he skipped away clutching the granola bar to his chest.
He watched Beth laugh before walking Into the dark rainy outdoors whispering something to Noah who just nodded balling his jacket up behind him to rest his head on.
Michonne smirked evily
"Well you better go find out what that "something" is " she said pushing him outside.
He was out the door and outside before he could even process what happened.
Beth turned quickly from her seat on the front walkway to see Daryl moving towards her.
He sat down next to her awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck.
"Daryl" he grunted out.
She smiled " I know." She stuck her hand out "Beth"
He looked at her extended hand her wrist covered in different leather bound bracelets. He reached out and shook it.
"Hmm you're a hunter." She concluded looking up at him and smiling.
He pulled his hand back confused
" yeah I.. I hunt how did you...?"
She picked up his hand again and flipped it palm side up
"You've got hunter hands." She laughed he looked back at his hands.
"So" she started "you're the co captain of this here group, very nice set up you got here."
He nodded "been here for about three months. What about you?"
She sat up straighter moving closer to him
"Oh I've been living in a farm house for a few months, me and Noah just met up again . I reckon he'll be following me back to my house. Anything happens to it well just keep moving " she shrugged
Daryl coughed "so Noah he your boyfriend?"
"Boyfriend?!" She laughed out loud
"No way. Oh my lord Noah he's like my kin. He and I went through a few foster homes before we got seperated."
Daryl's eyes widened
"Foster homes? You? Where's your mama and daddy?"
She looked away quickly
"Who knows? For all I know I ain't got em' who needs em Yknow? I've been
Doin' just fine on my own."
This girl sounded exactly like himself.
"I know what you're talking about girl. I never had a ma or pa either."
She looked back to him.
"Two peas in a pod"
He laughed at that and she joined in until both of them were laughing like fools. Tyreese came outside at that moment and looked at the two sitting in the rain holding there stomachs laughing.
"Now what are you two doin' out here you nuts? Y'all are gunna catch your death!"
That set them both off again.
They looked to each other and smiled before she reached for his arm to steady him.
"Daryl Dixon this is the start of a beautiful friendship."
He smiled back
Yeah this could work.