Printer Sharing

Printer Sharing

Just like folder sharing in Microsoft Windows operating systems, printer sharinginfo

Two types of printers are available in the market nowadays: one that can be connected to the computers (local printers) via USB cables and can then be shared by the administrators, and others that can be connected directly to the central devices such as hubs or LAN switches (network printers).

When administrators connect printers to the network and share them, computers on which they install drivers and use to configure the printing devices are technically known as Print Servers. Print servers efficiently manage the printing queue by organizing the print sequences and allowing access to the printing devices only from authorized users. When shared printers are accessed by client computers Server Message block (SMB) protocol, which is an application layer protocol, is used.

In order to install drivers and share printing devices on print servers, where the printers have locally been connected administrative privileges are required.info

Sharing a Printer

Assuming that the driver for the printing device has already been installed by Windows Server 2008 R2 administrator and printing device has been connected to the computer, steps given below must be followed to share a locally installed printed in a network:

Log on to Windows Server 2008 R2 computer with the administrator account.

Make sure that proper driver of printing device is installed.

Click Start button and from the menu click Devices and Printers.

On the opened window right-click the printer that has to be shared and from the context menu click Printers properties.

On the opened box click Sharing tab.

Check Share this printer checkbox to allow the printer to be shared on the network.

In Shared name field the default shared name of the printer can be changed to some user-friendly name.info

Finally click OK button to share printer.