Chapter 16: Just Visiting

________________________________

Orange is not really my colour, by the way. These fucking uniforms suck.

________________________________

George POV

We were going to visit him.

I told Nick I wasn't ready. But he's taking me. We are half way there and I feel sick. My throat is burning and my eyes just continue to wet even though I'm tired of crying. I haven't even seen him yet.

What if he's changed?

It's been three days since he left.

He's been in there three days. Not much could've happened. Right?

My hands wouldn't stop shaking and Nick kept looking over at me, worry painted across his face.

"Can you just focus on driving? Please??"

"George you look...ill."

"I'm not, okay. Just a little nervous."

"Your hands are shaking."

"Yeah I fucking know that, okay? Just keep driving."

"Okay, okay."

He turned back to the road, lips pursed. He had a lot to say, I could tell. I just didn't want to hear it.

We drove for another ten minutes in complete silence. I had nothing else to say. The lump forming in my throat wouldn't allow me anyway.

We got to a scary looking gate and the next thing I knew I was sat in an empty room behind a pane of glass. There was a bench and a phone. Nick was stood behind me gripping my shoulder, keeping me sane.

I held my breath as I heard a voice say, "Bring the prisoner in."

He came wandering in, hands restrained. He was bruised and bloody. My face crumpled and he smiled at me, not too wide, his lip was split. His hair was especially messy and his eyes looked more dull. His wrists were also obviously bruised and there were bloodstains all over his jumpsuit. He looked different. He looked broken.

He sat down ridiculously fast and the guards took away his restraints. He then reached for the phone. I picked up mine and immediately melted at his voice.

"George! You came."

I tried to speak but I couldn't. I just nodded, tears beginning to fall.

"I missed you."

"You left." I cried.

"I did. But it's for the better."

"Not for me. You said you loved me. If you loved me you wouldn't have left.."

"That's where you're wrong, George. I left because I love you. We have an unhealthy relationship, baby, it was-"

"Don't 'baby' me."

He was messing with my emotions.

"Alright. I'm sorry, George."

"Why are you so bruised? What are they doing to you?"

"It's nothing really, just a few scratches. A little disagreement in the yard that's all."

"I don't believe you. I can't trust you anymore. I just..I.."

He put his hand up on the glass. I blinked, tears still falling. He was this close. But I couldn't touch him. I couldn't feel him. I put my hand up to meet his and he kept smiling. How was he so happy?