Chapter 41: I'm Trying.

______________________________

"When I saw you, I felt something. I didn't know who you were, but I felt something."

"What did you feel?"

"Loved."

______________________________

George POV

"Good. I do love you George. And I know you don't know anything about me or who I am anymore, but I'll always love you and I'll always be here for you."

I couldn't say it back.

"Can you help me?"

"Of course. What with?"

I haven't even told him what yet and he's already agreed.

"Getting my memories back."

"Yes. Absolutely fucking yes."

"I'm getting discharged in four days. Will you pick me up?"

"Yes. I'll visit you before then, too. If you want."

"Yes, please."

"Okay, good."

I couldn't stop smiling.

"And George?"

"Yeah?"

"You don't mind me being at your house, do you? Before it would be normal but I'd understand if you wanted me to move to a hotel."

"It's okay, my sister would've told me if she didn't trust you."

"Your sister came?"

"Yeah, I remember her. Not from recently though. She looks different to what I remember. I told her about you. She already knew. She said we'd been through a lot."

"We have."

"She was talking about what she thought about you. It wasn't all good."

"That makes sense."

"She said you did some things that hurt a lot of people."

Silence.

"Including me."

"George.. I-"

"But she also said you did it for mostly the right reasons. She said we weren't perfect but, honestly, no one is."

"Did she tell you what I did?"

He sounded scared.

"No. I didn't want to know. If I never get my memories back-"

"Don't say that."

"-then we can start again. You know a version of me that I don't. And I don't know if I can be him again."

"We can try."

"We can. I'm trying."

"I know. And thank you for everything."

"Your welcome. I want them back too, you know. Okay, enough serious talk, I think I'll go to sleep now."

"Goodnight, George."

"Goodnight."

I ended the call. I sat back into the hospital bed, taking a deep breath.

Who am I?

I'm George.

What else?

I don't know. It's hurting me that I don't know. All these people know someone and love someone that I'm meant to be. But I'm not. I'm not them.