I Want My Big Sister!

____________________________________________________________________________

(Sophie POV)

I knew that Amy would never understand. That's why I didn't tell her about me and Livvy's backup plan. We always knew this day would come. The day Richard would snap and sell us off on the blackmarket like we were normal illegal merchandise he sold everyday.

I was sitting in the cellar waiting for Richard to come down and tell me I'd been sold to some buyer or that I was going to some home. I tugged on the ropes debating on how to get the ropes off my legs and arms. I also needed that gag out of my mouth if I was going to get help somehow. My thoughts were interrupted by commotion upstairs, shouting, fighting, gun shots, and bodies hitting the ground. The gun shots stopped. The shouts grew louder. I heard my name being called. "Sophie where are you?" I opened my mouth to answer when I hand reached out and clamped against my mouth muffling my answer.

"Your coming with us Moonlark," A harsh and quiet voice muttered in my ear. The next thing I knew they had something pressed up against my nose. The last thing I heard before the darkness took over was, "We've secured the Mooklark captain, ready the lab table for the experiment."

____________________________________________________________________________

(Amy POV)

Gone. Sophie was gone. Richard had taken her away. Sophie's friend Keefe called some child abuse agency called the Black Swan to get her back. They had gone to his house to find him there. He had been arrested, but Sophie was nowhere to be found. Richard hadn't gone down without a fight, he had pulled a gun and shot at the agents. Three had gotten hurt. One would be in the hospital for a week, two critically injured, one dead. 

Sophie had always said that once our secret had gotten out our lives would never be the same.  She always said, "better the devil you know." I guess it's supposed to mean it's better to know your enemy? With Richard we would knew what to expect and the rules of the game. She knew how to keep me safe from Richard. Now I don't know what will happen. 

They said that in the cellar they found rope and evidence of a person being held. They also found a cloth with remains of GHB powder, GHB is a powerful chemical that can knock a person out. They say she might've even still been in the house when we were there, but they somehow snuck her out. 

My poor, poor, brave, beautiful, talented, selfless, stupid sister. She had documents ready for Livvy to adopt me and only me and not her, and she didn't tell me. Don't get me wrong living with Livvy these past days have been amazing. I don't have to worry about being loud, staying up late, or being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'm free, and Sophie's not. 

The Black Swan have been keeping in touch with me and said that Richard confessed during interrogation that Sophie had already been sold to someone he couldn't risk naming. He claimed it was apart of his "business" and kept going on and on about his confidential policy he had. It was as if he thought he would still have a business to run after he got out, if he ever got out. Apparently, what he's been doing to Sophie and me isn't okay and they're going to lock him up for a while. 

I know I used to annoy Sophie and that she always worried about keeping me safe. I remember when Mom and Dad were still alive. I think that was the last time I saw her smile. She has always put up a brave face for me, but I could always tell her smile and laugh were forced. She still thought this was all her fault. Maybe she was right, but at this point I didn't care anymore. I just wanted my big sister back.                                                                                                                                                 ___________________________________________________________________________

(Sophie POV)

Darkness, quiet, painless darkness. The dark was so much better than the truth. When I tried to come out of the darkness there was only pain! SO MUCH PAIN! I learned that they were doing something to me while I was on the table, but I didn't have the heart to care. All I wanted was this strange and soothing peace that I found in the darkness. I hadn't been this at peace since the night I killed my parents. (The whole peace thing is just the drugs talking) ____________________________________________________________________________

(Flashback)

We were sitting in the kitchen laughing at a joke dad told when someone knocked on the door. I raced to get it thinking it was Amy's friend for their playdate. 

As soon the door was open I was pushed aside and slammed into a wall. Someone grabbed me and started yelling in some other language. My parents responded in the same language. I could tell they were arguing and fighting. Suddenly a gun was pointed at my head and touching my temples. 

I froze not knowing what to do. They the man behind me said, "Your coming with us girl or we'll kill your parents." I looked at my parents. They were scared. They looked into each others eyes seeming to communicate with just their eyes. My senses suddenly came back to me and I kicked the man behind me suddenly causing him to yelp and let me go. 

Without warning he said, "I warned you Moonlark!" A shot went off, then another. My parents collapsed, blood pooling around them. I heard Amy whimper in the corner where she'd been hiding the whole time. Then the man said, "Your coming with us." As he stepped forward ready to grab me. The next door neighbor suddenly rushed in with a lot of cops. 

Before they got to me the man pulled out a knife and quickly slashed it against my thigh which my shorts exposed. Before the cops got to him he whispered in my ear,  "We will come for you Moonlark! Just remember this is all your fault!" After the man was taken in custody me and my sister were rushed off the scene allowed to return a while later to grab our things. I never forgot those words the strange man whispered to me that night.