o1.

chapter one

chapter one

     THE END of the world begins when Lorelai finds a prophecy about her tucked into the back of her pocket.

     Like, picture this, she's hanging out with her good friend Aurelia Lavigne and they're eating a late dinner at this fancy Italian restaurant that her stepmom owns (Aurelia's step-mother, Odesa, is a real peach, as is her father. She adores the entire family), and Aurelia's looking happy today as usual. Lorelai is too. This feels like the first time she's gotten a break in weeks. Which it is. For the past few months, she's been all around the country, fighting monsters to train herself better for Typhon's next attack on Olympus itself. It's great to be out there, fighting and training her abilities, but she misses being home, being with Meredith, her mom. And she doesn't know how long she has until she has to fight the beast that shook Olympus to its very core. So she knows that she can't let herself get complacent, because the monster's going to strike any moment now.

     Unless ...

     "So, have you thought about it?" Aurelia asks, twirling some linguine off her fork before popping it in her mouth. "About, you know."

     Lorelai frowns down at the risotto in front of her. "Not ... really."

     Let's rewind a bit. 

     A few weeks ago, Aurelia had given her an idea to beat Typhon a few weeks back, when they'd been at Phoenix, Arizona, crushing some dracaenae. The idea was simple enough, which was great. But when Lorelai brought up the subject, Aurelia said she'd been thinking about it since she found out, and wanted to talk to her about it. Aurelia was usually pretty levelheaded, so the fact that she seemed more eager than usual made Lorelai feel slightly nervous.

     If Aurelia's disappointed by her response, she doesn't show it.

     "Well, we don't have plenty of time," she says. "We don't have enough numbers in Camp Half-Blood. I'm not going to lie to you — I don't know if we can win. But I think we should make the most of our opportunity to do what we can."

     She looks directly into Lorelai's eyes with her own, and something seems off about them — well, Lorelai had been slightly put off when she met Aurelia for the first time after the Battle of the Labyrinth and her eyes had been a violent shade of purple, but this time, they're pitch black to the point where she can barely distinguish her pupils from her irises. Her skin seems to be glowing a pale grey colour, too. There's also a strange quality to her eyes, an intensity, a look that makes Lorelai uneasy. Like she's lying about who she is. Or she's hiding something ... but even still, Lorelai feels uncomfortable.