Chapter 10- Raider's Rest

Start writing your story

Zora woke up on the mattress, feeling the warmth of Bear next to her, his large arm still wrapped around them since the cabin had flimsy blankets to use for the night. She carefully pulled his arm off and away from her, in order to stand up and stretch after the strenuous night. The brisk early morning air chilled her bones, as one of the windows was cracked open to help air flow through the musty decrepit cabin they had sheltered in. She glanced out at the sister cabin, where Whiplash and Rex had stayed the night. Hopefully their guide was still alive after whatever "fun" the wiry raider had with him.

She walked back over to Bear's sleeping form, and nudged his side with her boot. He mumbled in his sleep, and he tried grabbing the area she used to sleep.

"Zora...?" He woke up and sat up, seeing her legs but relaxed after realizing it was only her in the room.

"Ready to get goin' big guy?" She smiled and nodded at him to get dressed and she exited the cabin, pulled her hood up to meet the cool misty morning outside.

"Whiplash, time to pack up," She cried over to the other cabin, hoping her other companion would join her soon.

She looked at the cool charcoal left over from their fire the earlier night, the thought of lighting another tempting her, but it was foolish to light a fire in the day. Anyone could see the smoke from a distance, and animals would smell any breakfast. Even though the fog seemed to grace the sky again for cover, she didn't want to risk it, and the faster she reached the so-called "raider paradise", the better.

"Hey boss," Bear joined her side, standing a foot or two away.

Thankfully he wasn't trying to coddle her- he knew the earlier night hadn't changed anything in their group dynamic.

"Whiplash!" She cried out again, sighing in annoyance. Though the raider had a great mind for violence and mayhem, she wasn't easy to keep under leash.

She glanced at Bear, who only shrugged, and she walked towards the cabin, and wrapped her hand around the cold brass knob.

It was locked.

She shook it repeatedly, hoping the rotting structure would break, but it didn't budge.

"Whiplash, are you there?"

No answer.

"Rex?" Her voice raised, already fearing the worst had happened to the raider.

She took a step back, and kicked at the door. The lock broke, but a cabinet was blocking the way.

"Bear, drop the supplies and help me over here!"

He followed her orders and helped push the door open, the heavy cabinet falling over as they entered the cabin. Leaning against the wall facing the entryway was Whiplash, surrounded in a pool of blood.

"That FUCKER! I'll kill him!" Bear yelled, finding whatever furniture was closest and smashing it under his large clenched fists.

Zora walked up to the body, observing the numerous lacerations on the former raider. The woman's clothes were tattered along the many wounds which had resulted in the red pool seeping through the wood beneath them. It seemed Rex hadn't liked the woman's games. Hopefully some of the blood around the room was his.

"How could we sleep through this?" Bear asked, his voice still laced with anger.

"I fell asleep hearing his muffled screams- maybe they were hers all along... I should have realized if she were the one torturing, then she would have let him scream out. We've underestimated the rat too many times."