Chapter 3- A Fight Against Death

Deacon sat in the top of the church tower, polishing his sunglasses until he heard the door on the roof of the museum open. He quickly put his shades back on and crouched down, making sure there would be no possible way that they would spot him from his vantage point.

He breathed quietly and tried to listen to the conversation on the neighboring rooftop.

"Are you sure you know how to work these things? Just because Nate knew doesn't mean that knowledge is transferred to you-"

"It's not just because Nate was in the army. I know machines and this is just a machine you wear. Do you know all the parts it's made of? Do you know the lifespan of a fusion core? What about the molecular structure of the metal used to make the frame light enough to maneuver in?" A female voice answered. Probably the blue-haired vault dweller. He had seen a set of power armor on the roof near the crashed vertibird. Were they thinking of using it?

These vault dwellers were not typical sheltered people. Too bad the other two had either ran off or died. What interesting new variables they played.

"Fine, I'm sorry. I'll go downstairs and help you from the ground." The man answered and he could hear the door opening and closing once again.

Deacon peered up from the top of the church and watched the woman enter the suit of armor. The inside of the frame looked a little snug for a woman her size, but she managed to fit inside and move the limbs with ease. She ripped the minigun from the vertibird and went straight into action once the raiders on the street spotted her as she walked up to the roof's edge.

He watched, amused, as she let herself fall from the roof, hopefully landing on her feet. The suit made a giant crash as the heavy metal hit the ground, but like all suits of power armor, it protected her from any damage.

He couldn't see what was right in front of the museum, but he assumed from all the yelling and gunshots, an intense battle was going on down below. He could see farther down the street where a few more raiders walked towards the battle, joining in the fight. Not like they could do any good though against a power-armored vault dweller.

He watched as she made her way down the street, gunning down any raider in her way with the minigun, the raider's bodies being torn to shreds by the high-speed bullets pelting into them. Deacon could hear the thuds of her walking in the suit and the high-speed whirring of the minigun in her arms. Until everything stopped. He strained his eyes and could tell that the raiders had all been taken care of, but the bloodshed and the fighting had stopped so abruptly that he felt it just couldn't be over.

A giant thud echoed out from all the streets, similar to the sound of her dropping from the roof, but this time it was lower and had a depth to it that seemed to rattle his nerves. It wasn't the vault dweller that had made the noise.

Another thud rang out and he unconsciously leaned forward, trying to find out its origin. He could see the two vault dwellers in the street, looking around as well. Until, finally, it arrived.

A large metal covering in the street burst open, the thudding noise now the clanging of the heavy iron clambering onto the concrete. A monster larger than a truck climbed out of the hole and let out a roar from deep within its scaly chest.

"Shit," Deacon drew in his breath as he watched the creature exit from below and spot the two vault dwellers in the street. A deathclaw. One of, if not the most, vicious mutated creatures in the wasteland.

It lumbered towards them, its spiny back hunched and it's long arms almost dragging across the concrete. It smelled blood. It leaned down and nudged the body of a raider with its snout, licking at the puddle of blood pooling out of the corpses. Those dwellers could die.