Chapter 38

8 months later:

Ray POV:

"I don't understand why you just wont call him," Ray's mom insisted for the 500th time since she picked her distraught daughter up from the airport 8 months ago.

"Mama," Ray began, her voice sounding tired as she made her bed. "Hobi doesn't want to talk to me. He doesn't want to see me. He's... he's moved on. Look." Ray pulled up a news article that was trending on social media.

Ray's mom patted her hand as she looked at the article

Ray's mom patted her hand as she looked at the article. "I wouldn't assume too much munchkin," she stated. "Have you talked to the other members lately?"

Ray nodded. "I talked to Jungkook yesterday. He sent me a couple messages but I know he's been busy since they're on tour," she explained. "I don't talk to them about Hobi. I'm... I'm afraid to ask."

"What are you afraid of?" her mom asked.

"Afraid to hear that he's fallen in love with someone else. Afraid to hear that he hates me," Ray admitted.

"Do you... do you think you made the right decision?" her mom asked.

Ray shrugged. "I... I don't know mama," she replied. "I love him. I still love him. I miss him so damn much."

"Could you see yourself with him? Having a future?" her mom asked.

Ray hesitated, but then spoke. "I wanted to marry him mama. I just... I just was afraid that he would change his mind later. Was it too soon? Maybe but I didn't need to spend years with him to figure out that I was in love with him and I could see myself spending the rest of my life with this man," she burst out, the tears she had been trying to hold back spilling down her cheeks.

Ray's mom gathered her in her arms, murmuring soothing words to the girl whose heart was in tatters. "Why? Why did you say no?" her mom asked.

"I just didn't want him to realize he made a mistake. I didn't want him to realize he didn't love me that much," Ray sobbed out. "I didn't want him to break my heart."

"So you broke his first?" her mom asked, a look of disappointment on her face. "Do you realized how silly that sounds?"

Ray lifted her head, her eyes wide in surprise. "Mama! You're supposed to be on my side," she complained, the feeling of betrayal in her voice.

"Silly girl," her mom scolded gently. "What have I always told you?"

Ray sighed. "That you have my back," she began, her voice becoming reluctant.

"But only when?" her mom urged her to continue.

"But only when I'm right," Ray finished, the sounds soft and sad.

"And in this case munchkin, you weren't right," her mom said. "You hurt him just so he couldn't hurt you. How is that right? At all?"

Ray ducked her head, knowing her mom was right. "I don't know what to do mama. I love him so much. I want so badly to be with him, but it's too late," she cried, her voice breaking.