1

I always thought I knew the world I grew up in pretty well. These last years nothing seems to catch me off guard anymore, because it feels like I've already been through everything you could possibly imagine. Escaping in a helicopter with bullets flying everywhere? Been there. Absconding in an underground bunker in Switzerland? Done that. Almost losing my life because Papà made someone a little pissed again? Wouldn't be the first time.

You see, I know my world, and nowadays it takes a lot for me to be shocked. Until now.

"Un guardaspalle? A bodyguard?"

What the fuck. He has to be kidding me, there's no other way. I've seen, heard and been through some crazy shit in my life, but that's how it has always been, for as long as I can remember. Why a bodyguard now?

The heaviness of his deep sigh seems to fill up the entire room. "Yes. I'll be away for business in Italy for about six months, and I need you to be safe."

Looks like he isn't kidding.

Papà isn't even looking at me, his eyes are locked on the huge suitcase in front of him, filled with all of his belongings. Hidden between black suits and silk ties the handguns and cocaine are almost unnoticeable, but not to me. I swallow.

Business. Right.

"I have some things to take care of in Sicily, and you know your safety is my priority."

"And a bodyguard is what you came up with?"

I can't hold back a scoffing laugh, knowing how ridiculous this is. A bodyguard? To protect me? I'm not a fucking toddler.

"Exactly. It's a great idea, if I do say so myself."

I desperately try to hold my frustration, when all I want to do is yell at him. Yelling isn't going to work though, I know that.

"And may I ask how you came up with this ridiculous idea?" I try to sound as calm as possible. He can at least try to explain, although I can think of anything reasonable he could say.

All he does is shrug. "It's the perfect solution. With a bodyguard you won't be alone for a second and get the protection you need. And I'll be aware of your location at all times."

"Oh, so that's what this is about. You want to control me." I cross my arms, even though his back is facing me and he can't see a thing of what I'm doing. It's the thought that counts, I guess.

"You don't trust me."

Of course he has his answer ready. "Wrong. I don't trust the people around you."

I know he's right, but no way I'm agreeing to this. A bodyguard is going to be the end of any normalcy in my life, and lately I already have so little left. I don't care if I have to put all my cards on the table, make all the sacrifices he wants, I'm not agreeing to this.

"Then I'm coming with you to Sicily. I know the language, I can take online classes, and get to know my ethnicity. And on top of that, you wouldn't have let me out of your sight for a single second. It's perfect."

Six months in Italy already sounds way better than some creepy guy keeping an eye on every single breath I take.

"You know you can't." It's like I can hear him grinding his teeth, he's definitely getting frustrated with me now.

"And why is that?"

It's an obvious question, to which we both already know the answer, but he replies anyway. "Because it's too dangerous."

It's the answer I expected, but I'm not ready to give up yet, even if it's making him pissed as hell.

"I'm not scared, Papà. The Famiglia is my blood, it's everything I've ever known. I can take it."