CH 5 --- I'll Save You, I Promise.

// this chapter contains a near panic attack, talk of abuse, talk of disordered eating and swearing.

*Way's POV*

I hold him in my arms for about five minuets, my hand rubbing circles on his back to calm him down. I know what to do, I've done it countless times for my brother. I need to keep him grounded, give him space to get away if he needs to and I need to breathe slowly so he can match my pace. I need to help this kid, not only because it's my job as his teacher but because I  don't want to lose anyone else that I care about. I really care about Ukai, in a brotherly way or maybe even a paternal way. He needs someone to protect and look after him, I need to keep him safe.

As he calmed down, he whispered, "I'm sorry."

I responded as softly as possible, "don't be, it's not your fault, whether you believe that or not, you have nothing to apologise for."

He nodded and sat up, he wiped his cheek with the back of his charcoal covered hand and gave me a weak smile, I knew it wasn't real happiness but it was a wonderful thing to see it on his face.

"Ukai," I start, this is going to be hard for both of us, I don't know what I want to hear, "I know you probably don't want to, but I need to ask you some questions. You don't need to feel that you have to answer all of them, but please tell me what you can." He nods at me, indicating that he understands. "Does your father hurt you?" Nod (yes). "Does he hit you?" Nod (yes). "Does he throw things at you?" Nod (yes). "Does he make you feel bad about yourself?" Nod (yes). "Does he make you seem like the 'bad guy'?" Nod (yes). "Does he use your own emotions against you?" Pause, shrug (maybe). "Okay," to me it was obvious that Ukai's father was abusive as fuck, even if he was drunk when it happened. "Do you think you are safe to stay with him?" Shrug, pause, head shake (no). "Could you stay with another family member?" Head shake (no). "Please tell me about the rest of your family, Ukai."

"M..my aunt, she t..tells me that I'm f..fat, that I..I'm stupid and t..that I'm a waste of s..space," he starts, " My cousins... they..they pretend that I don't even e..exist, a..and my grandfather, he..he's too old and w..weak to look after a teenager, h..he doesn't get enough money."

The poor kid, he is falling apart and his family can't help him, even if they want to. I need to do something, this boy needs someone he can trust, someone he can rely on. It clicks. If he isn't safe then it's my responsibility to make sure he is. There is only one way I can be sure that he is safe, I'm taking him in. He can live with me, if he wants to of course.

"Ukai, I have an idea. You need to get away from that man who calls himself your father. And you can't go to any other family members. The best solution I can come up with at the moment is if you stay with me for a while, until we know that you are safe. What do you think? You don't have to but I know I can keep you safe."

*Ukai's POV*

"What do you think?" My teachers words rang out across the now silent art studio. What did I think? Was he kidding? Of course I want to! But what if I get in the way? What if i was troublesome? What if I made a nuisance of myself? My stream of questions stopped when I felt a hand grip my shoulder.

"Don't worry kid. You'll be safe and you'll be loved. I promise that me and my cats will take good care of you," Way said with a smile on his face and a sparkle in his eye, he was being honest. He would look after me. I had made my decision.

I throw myself into his arms and bury my head into his chest. He wraps his arms around me and laughs. "Thank you," I whisper to his tie.

*Way's POV*

"Thank you," he whispers to my shirt.

"It's okay," I whisper into his hair, "meet me here after school kiddo."

//time skip to last period

*Shimada's POV*

Ukai had spent the last week not talking to anyone but that new art teacher, he was tired and I didn't see him smile until today, he came into the library with a small smile on his face and sat down with his sketch book, and started drawing. In a very fine pencil he drew his father shouting at him, we knew he had trouble with his dad so this didn't come as a surprise to me and Uchizawa but what came next did. He drew over it in a darker pencil, it was the art teacher and him smiling together looking at some paper. At the top of the page he wrote 'Some people will break you, Find someone who will help fix you'

-BEEP BEEP BEEP-

The day was over before I could ask him about it but I didn't need to ask him much because as we were walking out he stopped at Mr Way's classroom and the twenty-something artist came out and put a hand on Ukai's shoulder, smiled and said "Let's go home kiddo."

*Way's POV*

We walked out with Ukai's friends Shimada and Uchizawa. They were talking about a future volleyball match against some school called Nekoma, I didn't know much about volleyball so I just listened to them going on about great setters and lebros or something. Ukai is happy for now, he iss taking about something he loved and he knows he is going to be okay. Things are going to be hard for the two of us but I will help him.

I'll save you Ukai, I promise.

//there we go, he's gonna be safe, this isn't the end tho. Like Way said, things are gonna be hard and things will be a mess but he will get better, even if he gets worse first.

Felix-chan out

Opinions and ideas appreciated