Ending

"....and that's what happened," Shikaku finished in front of the flabbergasted faces of Hikari, Atachi, and her dad.

It had been a month since Shikaku defeated the Raven of the Midnight Void. The trip had taken a very long time because there had been so many people. The only people who were really good at finding food were Okonai and Emberleigh, but everyone tried to help nevertheless. Shikaku wanted to help too, but her mother insisted that she could hurt her leg even more and shouldn't take the risk.

When she came back, she was greeted with dozens of cheers. Dad had shown this letter around to everybody, and fretting whether Shikaku would survive. The whole city was all worrying and hoping that Shikaku would bring back the kidnappees, as more and more people disappeared.

Her leg had healed up nicely, and before the citizens of Averlyn could bomb her with gifts, she asked to talk with her family. Shikaku explained at the waiting eyes of her relatives. Okonai waited at the corner, eating some cat food that Mom bought.

"Wow," Atachi whispered. "You...you're so strong. And brave..."

"You saved Mom," Hikari added quietly.

Shikaku shook her head. "Honestly, I'm so tired. I just want to take a long, long nap."

Dad laughed but with a hint of fatigue. "Ok, Shiku."

Shikaku closed her eyes. Even if it had been one month since she fought that raven, it felt like yesterday. The day of fear...courage...fighting....when she felt nothing but emotion and pain...it all blended together.

It was a day that she would never forget.