Chapter 18: Bad Vibe Dreams

Miriam

Crawling back into my own room felt like a thousand needles pricked my hands, Cassius lived in a castle. It was large with vines scaling most of the brick sides.

My body felt a little slumped from making that trek back and forth from Prince Cassius' tower, but like Shrek, I bittersweetly entered the castle and disturbed the peace.

Hopefully I would allow my wounded body to heal at least for the next day. My arms screamed for a break from the constant climbing.

I grumbled out a response to myself, "At least it stopped raining."

As soon as I closed my window, I quickly cocooned in my blankets and kicked my shoes off. Common sense would of told me that my mom had already left for work and that I could of just walked through the front door but I was too anxious from coming home from a boys house to risk it.

She always had an early shift at work that dragged on till very late into the night on most occasions. I like to think that my mom liked to remain blissfully unaware of how the state of our house and the individuals inside were, but I partook in too many extracurricular activities that week already.

Going missing made me twirl into her spotlighted radar.

The dream I proceeded to have made the brief relief I had felt at Cassie's house feel like a distant vacation.

At first, I didn't know I was sleeping. It felt like the old days, I had more friends than currently and I always laughed too hard. So much so that whatever I was doing would get temporarily delayed.

Days passed on in dreamland like that. Yet someone was always missing.

When I asked where my twin was, there would always be excuses. She spent most dinners at her friend's and on school days, our schedules seemed to be polarized.

Then one evening I snuck off to the bathroom to smoke like I always had done but when I walked in the mirror it wasn't me.

It was MaryAnne.

She mirrored me almost perfectly, but instead of my normal pink hair, there was her straight dark hair. It was pinned back like MaryAnne's normal style. A tight bun sat at the base of her skull. She wore her favorite t-shirt of her favorite KPop group and looked at me oddly.

I reached for her slowly, hoping silently the mirror would turn into a portal and I would pull her back into my world.  If she came back everything would be fine. I would have someone again.

She reached back to me in synchronization and she began to smile as her hand suddenly retreated back to her side.

MaryAnne simply shook her head uncharacteristically and I watched as she tucked a stray curl back before she moved out of the mirror's sight.

My heart immediately dropped into my stomach. How scathing that felt.

Not only did it feel like the room darkened but the entire world felt like a black crater. The universe was a black hole and her simple denial made me feel so alone.

I knew that I wouldn't be able to move from that spot. I knew that I was stuck in my own prison of guilt when it came to MaryAnne.

There was no escape from it.

I had to take her place.

No one would miss me like they do MaryAnne.

The Silent Bruteजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें