Chapter 3: Hello Sleeping Beauties

Forget Me Nots------------>

Miriam

I walked Cassius to his bus and said goodbye to him. He responded with a curt nod.

"That guy gives me the creeps." I had finally caught up with them in the student parking lot. Dana shivered and Ethan agreed. She was missing most of the day and the reason was because of her irrational fear of Cassius. She wasn't very sociable and was easily intimidated by strangers.

"He's not that bad. I find him..." I waited for a moment to find the right word. "refreshing."

"Yeah whatever. He isn't that bad to you, because you want to get all into those jeans." Ethan smiled at me, making me wish I had a super strong magnet so I could pull out all of his piercings.

"All I'm saying is first impressions are everything." I rolled my eyes at them. They were so over dramatic.

"And all I'm saying is that first impressions don't even matter. Remember when Ethan first met my parents and they thought he worshiped satan. Now they love him like a son."

"That isn't fair. You told me they weren't home and if I would of known I would of changed my outfit." He exclaimed as I laughed at him. He wore a 'Lucifer is with me' shirt to my house, but in my defense, I honestly thought they wouldn't be there.

"We'll whatever." Dana sighed and changed the subject. "who's coming to my house?"

"I can't. I'm going to visit MaryAnne today." I said slowly, because I felt guilty. I hadn't visited her in almost a month and I doubt she missed me as much as I missed her. Dana pulled me into a tight hug. Ethan joined in and kissed the top of our heads.

"Don't stay out there too late." Dana ordered.

"Get something to eat before you go." Ethan said a microsecond after her.

"Okay, Mom and Dad." I grinned at them before sliding into my car. "I Love you guys." I yelled out of my window as I pulled away from them.

I parked into my usual space. There were a few other cars there that I recognized and a few I didn't since I came there so often. Two bouquets of Forget Me Nots filled my hands and I carried a plastic bag of snacks. My foot pushed the metal gate open and closed it once I was inside.

"Hey Miriam!" I looked into the distance to see the groundskeeper and another figure. I waved back to him.

"Hey Lenzo!" I screamed . "I promise I won't be long today!"

"Take all the time you need!" The old man had lungs of steel. I walked over to the spot I knew better than anything else. The grass was greener and the sun was shining with a fury that made me sweat.

Their spots were near a large cherry tree that almost always casted a shadow over them.

"Hello Sleeping Beauties."

Joseph Evans
1979 - 2011

"Hey Dad." I smiled at the tombstone. I remembered his bear hugs that seemed to be endless when he was alive. "You look handsome this evening." I placed a bouquet in front of the stone. My hand traced his name etched in cold stone. "I haven't met the love of my life yet and I'll make sure to keep an eye out for him, or her." I kissed the stone, remembering how he told me to keep him informed on my love life before he passed.

I took two steps to meet my other half.

MaryAnne Berk
1997 - 2011

"I couldn't forget about you, MaryAnne." I kissed her stone and placed the flowers near it. "And you look beautiful this evening." There was a pause and I imagined a delicate voice complementing my outfit. "Oh this old thing. I took it from your side of the closet." I chuckled slightly as I sat between them. "Student council is doing okay. The druggies are selling again on the school property, but we're trying to stop those shitheads before they get caught." There was another silence that was filled with nature. I imagined being scolded by Dad about my cursing.

"Sorry." I felt a wave of sorrow rise from my gut.

"I'm pathetic, aren't I?" I was talking to stones and empty corpses. I doubt they even heard me. White hot tears streamed down my face . "I just miss you guys so fucking much."

I cried for a few minutes before I began to eat all of my sorrows away with candy and a bag of chips. When I got home, I placed a third bouquet of Forget Me Nots in a vase on the unused desk next to the window in MaryAnne and I's room.